This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13 Jan 19, 18:41 Last Post By: JeffTucker
DaveC

Can I export a jAlbum to another format?
Posted: 5 Jan 19, 22:58

Click to reply to this thread Reply
IIs there any way to export an album, with the images, to an outside, independent format. I have friends who would like a copy of an album but not in jAlbum format. Any chance? Any ideas?
JeffTucker

Re: Can I export a jAlbum to another format?
Posted: 5 Jan 19, 23:54   in response to: DaveC in response to: DaveC

What do you mean by "another format?" jAlbum produces web pages, viewable in any browser. The pages aren't in "jAlbum format" - there's no such thing.
DaveC

Posted: 8 Jan 19, 22:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough.
I made an album for a family member. He would like a copy, images and all, of what I did...not just the ability to view it. Maybe to another format? But I assume I need all the skins, etc to make it work properly. In fact these might not be necessary since all he wants are the images and comments.
I was curious just how it might be done it, if at all.
Thanks for whatever you can offer, even if it's a no-can-do.
JeffTucker

Posted: 8 Jan 19, 22:24   in response to: DaveC in response to: DaveC

Well, you can certainly zip up the entire album project, minus the output directory, and give it to him. That would give him all of the images. If you've told jAlbum to copy the comments to the xmp fields of the image files, he could even access the comments, if he's got an application that will read those fields. See Tools, Preferences, Album, Image editing, Write xmp metadata to files.

I'm not sure what he would do with them - use some other application to generate web pages? Look at them in File Explorer or Finder?

Sorry if I seem obtuse, but I can't really wrap my head around what you're trying to do. Think of the "baking a cake" model. The images and comments are the ingredients. jAlbum is the oven. The finished web pages are the cake. You can either give someone the cake, or give him the ingredients, to do with whatever he likes. There's no other "cake" available.
DaveC

Posted: 13 Jan 19, 17:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for your patience.
I think I see the way to go now. It's just that my brother wants the pics and my "cute" comments to be viewed through a generic slide show program, not jAlbum.
Nothing against jAlbum it's just that he doesn't want it.
I'll try what you have suggested.
Thanks again.
DaveC

Posted: 13 Jan 19, 17:17   in response to: DaveC in response to: DaveC

Always appreciate the help given by more knowledgeable users.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jan 19, 18:41   in response to: DaveC in response to: DaveC

What's going to trip him up are the comments. Those aren't part of the images. Unless his generic slideshow program knows how to read xmp metadata, he's not going to see them.

Does he understand that he doesn't need jAlbum to view your pictures with their comments? All he needs is a browser. Any browser!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums