This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12-Dec-2018 11:03 Last Post By: Laza
ksmatharu

Gromit: Any chance to add Open Graph tags?
Posted: 02-Dec-2018 18:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Not that it's essential as Facebook has been rather good so far at inferring the values of the og tags for Gromit's well-laid pages, but would it be possible to add these og tags explicitly in a future update of Gromit? The mains ones being og:url, og:title, og:image, og:description

Again, it's not essential, but it helps a tiny bit towards social-friendly link sharing :)
ksmatharu

Gromit: Re: Any chance to add Open Graph tags?
Posted: 02-Dec-2018 19:28   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu

Following up to my post and having said nice things about Facebook...I may have been a bit too hasty.

When presented with a link to an index page, and in the absence of an og:image tag, Facebook chooses the first thumbnail as the image. I'd rather that Facebook use the folder image where this is set.
jGromit

Posted: 02-Dec-2018 20:33   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu

None of my skins includes any social media coding, and I don't foresee that changing.

In this case, you couldn't even code-hack your way into it. When the skin is assembling the <head> section of the page, where those tags would go, it has no idea whether there will be any folder thumbnails, to say nothing of being able to determine what the image file names will be. That would require some pre-processing before the page is even created.
ksmatharu

Posted: 03-Dec-2018 20:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Of course, it's your skin and you decide how it evolves. But I'm still keen on it as it would give me control over how Facebook and other social sites interpret my site. I live in hope!
jGromit

Posted: 04-Dec-2018 03:14   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu

ksmatharu wrote:
I live in hope!

Hope is a good thing, I suppose, even when it's completely forlorn.

Long ago, having watched the endless torture of dhina and laza, I vowed that I would never touch two things - shopping carts and social media. They're the black holes of support.

ETA: I've come to detest Facebook with a blind passion. They crank out the worst software I have ever seen, and that's really saying something - I've been in the IT world since 1974. Their ability to store and quickly access billions of images and videos is a technological marvel, but their UI is a toxic waste site. And they change their API's on a weekly basis, no matter how much havoc it causes.

For me, it's the only way to keep track of what the "young ones" are up to - nephews, their wives, and the little ones (four of them, ages 5 through 8). If not for that, I'd delete my account and happily never see their godawful site again.
ksmatharu

Posted: 04-Dec-2018 19:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That made me laugh! og tags are quite stable and, being tags, none of that API hell ;)
Laza

Posted: 12-Dec-2018 11:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Facebook and Google are the perfect examples why the humanity is not mature enough for AI. As long as the profit is the primary goal the AI will outsmart us people/developers unprecedented ways to make money for a chosen few. Facebook made broken their API on purpose to deter people from hanging around on other sites and still enjoy being part of the fb community.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums