This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Nov-2018 21:21 Last Post By: jGromit
jGromit

Remove "Video support" checkbox
Posted: 28-Nov-2018 12:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
This is another "remove a feature" request. These days, I can't think of any reason a user would want to disable video support. Most of the current skins support videos, and when using one of the skins that doesn't support them, turning this option on or off makes no difference. Even with an old skin like Chameleon, which "did its own thing" with videos, they don't seem to work in an album, no matter what settings you choose.

In short, I haven't found a situation in which being able to turn off video support produced anything other than problems. It's like turning off JPG support.
RobM

Re: Remove "Video support" checkbox
Posted: 28-Nov-2018 12:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The only reason I can think of is a user who adds videos in mp4 format that are already of the correct size for the album - probably not likely. Without that setting such a user might need to mark each video as ‘Do not re-encode’.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 13:02   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
The only reason I can think of is a user who adds videos in mp4 format that are already of the correct size for the album....

But turning off video support doesn't address that situation. You end up with no thumbnail, and with a video that opens in a new browser tab, with no navigation. Try it in Minimal, and you'll see what I mean.
RobM

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 13:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
The only reason I can think of is a user who adds videos in mp4 format that are already of the correct size for the album....

But turning off video support doesn't address that situation. You end up with no thumbnail, and with a video that opens in a new browser tab, with no navigation. Try it in Minimal, and you'll see what I mean.

I tried it with Sprint and it makes a thumbnail but it does open just the video. However, that is a skin coding problem in not catering for this case as there is a slide page created for the video.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 14:00   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

It does that with most skins, and the problem goes all the way back to the index page. It's asking for closeupPath, but with video support turned off, that returns the path to the raw video. There's no way to get to the slide page. And in skins that don't have slide pages, you often get nothing at all - the jAlbum core simply doesn't return any of the variables needed to handle the video, things like category.

My premise stands - why would anyone ever want to turn off video support?

ETA: So far, I have not found a single skin in which turning off video support gives me a working album. Not one.
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 19:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I agree in principle. It's a bit hard to unwire this feature though as jAlbum actually doesn't come with video support activated when you install it. It becomes active as soon as you've downloaded the ffmpeg binary separately. This scheme may sound awkward from a tech standpoint, but feels more safe from a legal standpoint. If the user opts to not download ffmpeg, then video support becomes inactive. The user can later on decide to trigger the download by activating video support again under preferences.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 19:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hmmm... I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted to download ffmpeg. I thought it just sort of "happened." Is the video support checkbox actually not selected when you first install jAlbum?

As an alternative, perhaps it could be buried somewhere less likely to be de-selected accidentally. Maybe on the Preferences/Advanced tab? Someone would have to be fairly determined to go looking for it there.
RobM

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 21:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Hmmm... I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted to download ffmpeg. I thought it just sort of "happened." Is the video support checkbox actually not selected when you first install jAlbum?
It is deselected by default.
As an alternative, perhaps it could be buried somewhere less likely to be de-selected accidentally. Maybe on the Preferences/Advanced tab? Someone would have to be fairly determined to go looking for it there.
If it can be turned off, shouldn't it be possible to grab a variable that points to the slide page, e.g. closeupPath should be pointing to the slide page, not the video.
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 21:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:

It's checked but ffmpeg is only downloaded on demand (when encountering the first video), if the download fails, then video support is switched off in order to not trigger repeated download attempts.

Done :-)
jGromit

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 21:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Excellent. :)

BTW, I had never looked at the FFmpeg licensing stuff before. What a minefield!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums