This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 23-Nov-2018 23:13 Last Post By: jGromit
davidekholm

Re: Force processing of small images
Posted: 22-Nov-2018 14:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Click to reply to this thread Reply
As far as I can see, doing a "Make all" will ensure that the images are processed or copied correctly depending on the state of this checkbox. I agree it would be easier to simply press "Make album", but then I'd have to add this setting to the image hash logic and that feels to overdo it.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2018 14:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I'm now getting really inexplicable results. In a Minimal project, the small-dimension image is being processed even when the image bounds are larger, and "force processing" is not turned on. But in a NoPages project, it's not being processed under those conditions.

Yet RobM was seeing precisely the opposite effect.

Comment out this change until I can figure out exactly what's happening, and under what circumstances.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Nov-2018 15:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ensure you don't have any filters applied, not even fixed shape thumbnails. Ensure that no filters are installed under Settings->Advanced->User variables either.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2018 15:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Ah, yes, that's the confounding factor - Minimal defaults to fixed-shape thumbnails.

More testing needed, but this is a big holiday weekend in the U.S., and I'll soon be at my sister's place for a couple of days of eating and drinking. And more drinking.
RobM

Posted: 22-Nov-2018 23:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment jpg slides.png (497.3 KB)
Well, I tried setting the image bounds to much higher than the source image dimensions.
Then I built a clean album.
Then I built a 'forced' album.
No fixed shape filter, no other filters of any sort.
Used Sprint skin and Sample portfolio images (not the project, just copies of the images) with Quality at 75%.
Using the clock image as an example I get:
Original image 808x600, modified Feb 2018, 43,705 bytes
Normal build as above.
Forced with Make All image = 808x600, modified today, 43,720 bytes.

Attached screen grab of information on each clock image, original, normal, forced.

It would seem to be too dependent on the source image and the quality setting. Changing the quality to 90% and the forced file becomes larger than the original at 57,268 bytes
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2018 22:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Attachment Westerlund 2.jpg (1.5 MB)
You need to do your testing with an image whose file size is abnormally large, given the image's dimensions. That's the case in which this "forced processing" produces real benefits. With a more ordinary image, the processed image may end up being about the same size as the original, or even larger under some circumstances.

Try playing with the attached image, one of the ones that got me on this kick in the first place.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2018 22:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
More testing needed....

More testing done, and this new feature is working as expected. You do have to force a Make All, but I can live with that.

My earlier testing was being confused by two things - thumbnail filters in Minimal, and some odd stuff that NoPages does internally, things that were confusing the core about whether it needed to reprocess things or not.
RobM

Posted: 23-Nov-2018 23:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
You need to do your testing with an image whose file size is abnormally large, given the image's dimensions. That's the case in which this "forced processing" produces real benefits. With a more ordinary image, the processed image may end up being about the same size as the original, or even larger under some circumstances.

Try playing with the attached image, one of the ones that got me on this kick in the first place.

Yes, you get a saving with that image, but for general users, other than trying the different settings it seems difficult to know when it will be a benefit and when not. Then, considering when a new image is added to the project, a make all will result in an upload all being needed too. Just my thoughts, for me I'd rather make sure I was feeding jAlbum an optimised image when it is below the image bounds size.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2018 23:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

If you discover that you have an oversized image file in a large project, the easiest thing to do is to select Force processing and just exclude, then re-include the problem image. Then, a Make Album does the trick without generating any unnecessary files. No need to resort to some other application to "optimize" the image beforehand.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums