This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Nov-2018 14:41 Last Post By: RobM
ctwist

Missing link
Posted: 06-Nov-2018 01:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am moving my projects to a new PC. The target file structure is different, so there are some linked album objects that jAlbum cannot find.

When I hover over a linked file whose target is missing, jAlbum shows a message "Can't find <source> -> <target> Double click to repair". (Double-clicking does not find the target.) After 10 seconds, this disappears. I can't remember the entire path and I can't copy this message, so I have to keep hovering (or right-clicking) over this thumbnail while I try to navigate to the target image in a separate File Explorer window.

What I need is a persistent display of the link's target path. It should either remain on the screen until I dismiss it, or I should be able to copy the link so that I can paste it elsewhere while I am searching for it. Maybe you can think of an even better technique.
jGromit

Re: Missing link
Posted: 06-Nov-2018 01:15   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
(Double-clicking does not find the target.)

It should open an instance of File Explorer or Finder, so you can "lead it" to the new location. Is that not happening?
ctwist

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 01:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, but I can't remember the long path from the original target. It could be a different file name and a different folder branch. I need that path to persist, so that I can determine how to navigate within File Explorer.
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 09:38   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
Yes, but I can't remember the long path from the original target. It could be a different file name and a different folder branch. I need that path to persist, so that I can determine how to navigate within File Explorer.
Whilst not a GUI elegant solution why not look in the albumfiles.txt for that folder.
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 12:55   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
After 10 seconds, this disappears. I can't remember the entire path and I can't copy this message, so I have to keep hovering (or right-clicking) over this thumbnail while I try to navigate to the target image in a separate File Explorer window.

Maybe you can think of an even better technique.

Again, not ideal but until a solution is available, Ten seconds is long enough to do a screen grab of that part of the screen with the file path.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 16:33   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
I am moving my projects to a new PC. The target file structure is different, so there are some linked album objects that jAlbum cannot find.

When I hover over a linked file whose target is missing, jAlbum shows a message "Can't find <source> -> <target> Double click to repair". (Double-clicking does not find the target.) After 10 seconds, this disappears. I can't remember the entire path and I can't copy this message, so I have to keep hovering (or right-clicking) over this thumbnail while I try to navigate to the target image in a separate File Explorer window.

What I need is a persistent display of the link's target path. It should either remain on the screen until I dismiss it, or I should be able to copy the link so that I can paste it elsewhere while I am searching for it. Maybe you can think of an even better technique.

Until jAlbum provides a working solution to the problem I rely on OS-level soft linking:

http://jalbum.net/help/de/Fotos_und_Videos_mit_jAlbum_verwalten#Umzug_der_Daten (moving data).
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2018 22:00   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Helpful
ctwist wrote:
Here is a little external tool that does the job.

Select one or more broken links in explore view.
Run the tool.
For each broken link selected a dialogue window will show, with the path to the original file, until you click OK or cancel. The path displayed is also copied to the clipboard, ready for pasting elsewhere if needed.

I haven't saved/restored the original clipboard contents, but that could be done if needed.

Probably better turned into a context plugin but it does the job.
ctwist

Posted: 10-Nov-2018 00:57   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

This helps.

However, I can't open "Repair link" until I have closed the dialogue window, so I refer to the link in system console instead.

I have realized that a lot of the links require the same change to the high-level portion of the path, so it may be best to create a batch editor macro that will fix all of the albumfiles.txt files. I will look into this soon.
RobM

Posted: 10-Nov-2018 12:12   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
I have realized that a lot of the links require the same change to the high-level portion of the path, so it may be best to create a batch editor macro that will fix all of the albumfiles.txt files. I will look into this soon.
Here's one I made in 2014.

It has entries for a search and replace text strings, then goes through all of the album files.txt files in the project looking for the search term. When completed it shows the search and replace texts along with the number of changes made.

Edited by: RobM on 10-Nov-2018 13:40
Here is the history on the tool
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums