This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Sep-2018 15:57 Last Post By: GHammer
GHammer

Google Mobile Usability Errors
Posted: 21-Sep-2018 16:16

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have received errors from Google's Mobile Usability testing.
When I got the errors, I made certain that I have the latest jAlbum and Tiger skin.
I deleted the entire website (just to be certain nothing older would stay), then Make Album.
I uploaded all to the webserver.
I created a new sitemap, submitted that to Google and waited until it had been crawled.

Clickable elements too close together- 54 pages of 190
Content wider than screen- 14 pages of 190

Can anything be done to correct these errors as Google will punish sites for failing to adhere to their wishes.
Laza

Re: Google Mobile Usability Errors
Posted: 21-Sep-2018 20:36   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer

Can you please send me a link? Tiger was optimized using Google's auditing tool, and I don't remember any such errors. Is the album embedded through an IFRAME? That could trigger such errors.
hollycat2000

Posted: 21-Sep-2018 21:05   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

it can't be a coincidence - yesterday I received 2 emails from Google with exact the same errors for a different skin (Photoblogger). When I tested the site at the Google Mobile Friendly test (https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly?utm_source=support.google.com/webmasters/&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=6155685) the result was that my site was Mobile Friendly. I submitted the site (https://hollycat2000.jalbum.net/BroughMotorcycles/) for renewed viewing - no results yet.
I tried the site in Firefox Webdeveloper - Responsive Design Mode and it looks perfect and is very usable.
It looks like Google made a mistake with some test.
Hilbert
Laza

Posted: 22-Sep-2018 09:11   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

Or perhaps you received tricky emails?
GHammer

Posted: 26-Sep-2018 15:02   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Attachment GME.PNG (61.2 KB)
Sorry for the late reply, been ill.
Ok, I'm going to attach a screenshot of today's Google error page for my site.
@Laza if you'd like, I can give you a user view of the console.
The site is not linked in any way, just a standalone site.
https://ghammer.net

Edited by: GHammer on 26-Sep-2018 21:02 Additional info.
GHammer

Posted: 26-Sep-2018 15:31   in response to: hollycat2000 in response to: hollycat2000

I'd agree that one or the other of Google's tools are in error.
Using the Mobile Friendly Test page, I used a URL that fails in Google's Mobile Usability console. It passed.
I marked the page as corrected in the GMU console and it is reported failed again.

I'm posting in the Google webmaster central help forum as well.

Google and their beta products, geesh.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Sep-2018 15:39   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer
Helpful
Just idly perusing your album, I can see a couple of things that the Google tool might be picking up on. For example, the "home" and "main album page" links at upper left are fairly small, and close together. And I noticed one thing that I'll bet it's running into - the "new" star at the upper right corner of the folder thumbnails is, indeed, a clickable link, but it's rather tiny.

Some of the other "complaints," on the other hand, are suspicious. "Content wider than screen," for example - AFAIK, all pages in your album are fully responsive to the page width. "Viewport not set" - since all pages are generated with the same templates, and those templates all include a meta viewport tag, that one's tough to figure out, unless you've got some sort of hand-crafted custom page buried in there somewhere.
GHammer

Posted: 26-Sep-2018 15:57   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks, that's what I think too.
Most everything has been left at defaults and I did not see a choice on the 'new' star except to create it for new content.

As long as Google doesn't punish (quit indexing, etc) while they are creating the new search indexing, I can just delete the email I get from them.

No, there are no custom or other pages in the site.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums