This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-May-2019 14:25 Last Post By: karlmistelberger
xili1234

crash chrome with big album
Posted: 31-Jul-2018 20:30

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello

Look
https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/index.html
and
https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/Randonn%C3%A9e/index.html

I get crash from chrome with tablet (under android 7 with 3 Go memory) with a big album (around 160 000 pictures) .
It's always fine with firefox on the same tablet. It's ok with chrome on a PC / mac.

I think it's link to memory allocation.

I'm wondering if it's link to the size of the deep-data.json in my case it's 208 734 703 bytes !

I have try to disable info panel but the deep-data is just half these size.

Best regards
jGromit

Re: crash chrome with big album
Posted: 31-Jul-2018 20:39   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

No problem in Chrome 68 under Android 8 on a Galaxy S7 phone. Try upgrading both Chrome and Android.
xili1234

Posted: 31-Jul-2018 20:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I have 3000 differents users per month, I can't manage their device / browser .
jGromit

Posted: 31-Jul-2018 21:06   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

Well, the skin can't compensate for the variations present among 3000 users. Some of them may be using obsolete operating systems or obsolete browsers, or have systems that haven't been cleaned up in years. Ultimately, that's their problem, not yours.
Laza

Posted: 31-Jul-2018 21:29   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

Jesus, 160 thousand pictures in a single album?

The skin loads deep-data.json only if search, tag cloud search or some other function requires the whole database. I see though the file is loaded for some reason. I will have to check out why, as I don't see any of those functions.

You might want to chop your album into smaller pieces, and create a master album. This way the even the whole database will remain under controllable size.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 01-Aug-2018 10:41   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

xili1234 wrote:
Hello

Look
https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/index.html
and
https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/Randonn%C3%A9e/index.html

I get crash from chrome with tablet (under android 7 with 3 Go memory) with a big album (around 160 000 pictures) .
It's always fine with firefox on the same tablet. It's ok with chrome on a PC / mac.

I think it's link to memory allocation.

I'm wondering if it's link to the size of the deep-data.json in my case it's 208 734 703 bytes !

I have try to disable info panel but the deep-data is just half these size.

Best regards

Don't worry about total size or deep-data.json size. What actually matters is folder size. Splitting https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/Randonn%C3%A9e/index.html on a yearly basis (one subfolder for each year) will help.

Users still experiencing problems may try a pristine profile: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=54070&tstart=0
xili1234

Posted: 01-Aug-2018 14:12   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

I will try to use the Jalbum search function rather than split my page
https://album.clubalpin-idf.com/Randonn%C3%A9e/index.html by year.

The whole album is sort by activity / date / location .

For the user experience it's better to have a long page with all (you can search with control + F ) rather than to explore multiple year (this album is working since 2000 !) you don't open 18 pages to get your part...

Thanks for your help
karlmistelberger

Posted: 01-Aug-2018 16:29   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

xili1234 wrote:
I will try to use the Jalbum search function rather than split my page

Tiger search has great performance. On my desktop machines running Apache response is instantaneous with 55.000 images contained in 12 folders 2007-2018

For the user experience it's better to have a long page with all (you can search with control + F ) rather than to explore multiple year (this album is working since 2000 !) you don't open 18 pages to get your part...

• For a flat view of your folders you may enable site map. It's a single page under all circumstances, requires less resources and loads much faster than a large folder containing hundreds of subfolders.

• I prefer the initial wait of global Tiger search to browsing a huge page with the associated hassle. Folder RandonnĂ©e confirmed this earlier finding.

• Subsequent Tiger searches are much faster. Even a small i3-4130 Processor delivers instantaneously.

• CTRL+F won't dive into the subdirectories. On the other hand Tiger search does and shows comprehensive results including subdirectories.The speed is limited only by the download time of deep-data.json and associated thumbnails.

You may reconsider after testing Tiger search and sitemap.
Laza

Posted: 01-Aug-2018 22:20   in response to: xili1234 in response to: xili1234

deep-data.json alone is 200 MB. Way too big for a web page. It takes 20 secs on my broadband. In your case a server-based search would be much better if you insist on keeping the album in one. Unfortunately that can't be done with Tiger...

I couldn't figure out why the skin is loading this file every time. In my albums it never does, only when one of the global functions are used.
akotelba

Posted: 22-May-2019 16:25   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Sorry to resurect an old topic. Apparently, deep-data.json is always loaded when photos are structured in folders, see
	// Loading the whole data tree
	loadDeep:				true,

and
if (settings.loadDeep && tree.hasOwnProperty(J.FOLDERS)) {
	// Loading deep data only in structured albums 
	loadDeep();
} else {
	// Flat album: calling deep ready immediately
	if ($.isFunction(settings.deepReady)) {
		settings.deepReady.call(this);
	}
}

Even the sample skin page http://www.lazaworx.com/albums/Tiger/ downloads deep-data.json.

My rule-of-thumb observation is that the size of deep-data.json is between 0,5 and 1 kB per photo. For albums with large number, say 10k, of photos, the file deep-data.json would have a "gargantuan" size. Is there any way to prevent loading of deep-data.json?

Will transition to flat structure help? I honestly doubt because with a totally flat structure, the file data1.json will have enormous size (it will now contain information about all files). Is there any way to solve that conundrum?
Laza

Posted: 22-May-2019 19:49   in response to: akotelba in response to: akotelba

Thanks for bringing it up! It seems for some reason the "loadDeep" was set so it loads the whole database. I can't recall why - perhaps only for testing reasons? The code itself supposed to work either way: with deep data and per folder data. Here's the pre-release version. Can you please give it a go?

Edited by: Laza on 23-May-2019 09:49
karlmistelberger

Posted: 22-May-2019 21:44   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
Thanks for bringing it up! It seems for some reason the "loadDeep" was set so it loads the whole database.

Yes, deep-data.json is indeed downloaded. However it occurs in the background. Users never bothered.
Laza

Posted: 22-May-2019 21:52   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

I turned off loadDeep in the attached version, and I'm curious if this works better on large albums.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 22-May-2019 22:15   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
I turned off loadDeep in the attached version, and I'm curious if this works better on large albums.

I downloaded Turtle.jaskin into folder skin and built a small album. This would process all images. Thus I am reluctant to try on a large album. deep-data.json is downloaded anyway.
Laza

Posted: 22-May-2019 23:15   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

It does not load deep-data for me, see:
http://www.lazaworx.com/albums/Tiger/

Some functions might trigger loading deep-data, anyway, e.g. the Tag cloud box, when collected from the whole album. Probably I will make a database of the tags during Make time, so this won't trigger loading the whole database on visitor's machines.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums