This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-Mar-2018 20:23 Last Post By: RobM
Roadhouse

Edit text after upload!
Posted: 17-Mar-2018 16:54

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jAlbum.JPG (34,1 KB)
Hi.
I have made an error :-(

I use the Photoblogger skin.

I made an album, and when I had uploaded it all, I saw that I have written a wrong date in the folder headings - March instead of February :-(

I learned the hard way some time ago, that if I change one single character in the folder headings - then jAlbum starts uploading the full album again! As I am living in a forest with 1mbit upload, and we are talking about 1gb data, then it is going to tak a while!

All the files are already laying nice and easy on my domain, so:

isn't it possible to edit an HTML file (or just edit a file!) to take care of that, or is it really necessary to upload everything again?

Have a nice saturday :-)

Kind regards

Frank

Edited by: Roadhouse on 17-Mar-2018 16:55
JeffTucker

Re: Edit text after upload!
Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:07   in response to: Roadhouse in response to: Roadhouse

Editing files on the server, especially with a complex skin like Photoblogger, is not a good idea - there are too many chances to make things worse instead of better. Make your changes in the album project, make the album, and upload again.

If you use the jAlbum uploader, it will not upload the entire album again - it will upload only the files that have changed, and if you're talking about some text, that will be only one or two very small files.

Just don't make the mistake of choose Make All, which forces jAlbum to reprocess all of the images, which will then all need to be uploaded again. Just click Make Album, and let jAlbum decide what needs to be processed and what doesn't.

If you're using an FTP client program like FileZilla, tell it to upload only new or changed files, and it will, likewise, not upload the whole album again.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

One more thing - if you're using jAlbum 15, make sure it's at least version 15.1.2. Even better, install 15.3. There was a glitch in the earliest version of jAlbum 15 on Windows that caused unnecessary reprocessing of images in some situations.
Roadhouse

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:30   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment jAlbum2.JPG (53,6 KB)
Thank you for a swift answer - again - jGromit :-)

I always use jAlbum uploader.

I did exactly as you wrote - Make Album -> Make Changes (+in Danish, Dan ændrede (ALT + F9)+) -> Upload (+in Danish, Overfør+) -> Publish/Administer (+in Danish, Offentliggør/Administrer (CTRL+M)+) and then Smart Upload .... and then it deleted everything already on my domain and started UL it all again (see attachment) :'-(

I'm not sure if I missed anything in your guidance, but this do happen whenever I make a small error as a spell error or what I did yesterday, and then correct it afterwards. Last time was with my 4gb (+) album!

Kind regards

Frank

Edited by: Roadhouse on 17-Mar-2018 17:32

Edited by: Roadhouse on 17-Mar-2018 17:33
Roadhouse

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I am using 15.3.2 :-)
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:45   in response to: Roadhouse in response to: Roadhouse
Correct
Do not use Make Changes. This does not do what you think it's doing. Please trust me on this. Just use Make Album - F9.

(I have begged and pleaded to get these dangerous options - Make Changes and Make All - hidden from view so that only users who actually understand them can get to them, but I just don't seem to be able to get the message across. I'm frankly getting very tired of having to explain it over and over again. Not your fault - just venting!)

From the screenshot, I can't actually tell what the uploader is doing. When it starts the upload, it thinks that it needs to upload everything, because it is only looking at the album on your PC. But when it actually does the uploading, it will skip over the things that haven't changed.

Open the output directory - Tools, Open directories, Output directory - and look at the "date modified" on the files. Are the image files newer than the versions on the server? If not, the uploader will not upload them again.

Just to make sure that there isn't a damaged manifest file on the server, connect to your server, navigate to the directory that contains this album, and if you see a manifest.jmf file there, delete it. Then do the upload. It will be a little slower, but not much, and is less prone to mistakes. However, if the server contents have already been deleted, there's not much one can do about it now.
Roadhouse

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment jAlbum03.jpg (700,9 KB)
Attachment jAlbum02.jpg (698,2 KB)
Attachment jAlbum01.JPG (691,5 KB)
Hereb are screendumps that illustrate what I do (+and I am uploading to the same folder, "Vores kolonier, Føns og Oddesund Nord" as from the very start+):
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:49   in response to: Roadhouse in response to: Roadhouse
Helpful
Sorry, but I can't debug a screenshot. I would need to have access to your PC and to your server. Perhaps David can assist with this.

All I know is that the smart upload routine has worked properly for years, and when it doesn't, it's usually because of something the user has inadvertently done, or because of a problem with the manifest file (a bad connection can sometimes cause that file to be damaged).
Roadhouse

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 17:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment upload.JPG (17,4 KB)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH - d*mmit! I really do understand your frustration - and I indeed see that option as the natural choice - and I do understand English, but not when it comes to technical terms that I'm not familiar with :-(

And this is embarrassing .... but I did not know that I could hit the button *Make Album*! I have always hit the Arrow down and make a choice there! That somehow tells you (and me!) what stage I am on even though I do read the guides ... :-(

It IS about to upload the full monty - appr. 50% now.

But thank you very much again - I'll copy/paste this to my own, little do-it-yourself guide ;-)

Kind regards

Frank
RobM

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 19:04   in response to: Roadhouse in response to: Roadhouse

Roadhouse wrote:
And this is embarrassing .... but I did not know that I could hit the button *Make Album*! I have always hit the Arrow down and make a choice there! That somehow tells you (and me!) what stage I am on even though I do read the guides ... :-(
Maybe bookmark this page as a reminder?
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 19:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The manual helps, but this is just really bad UI design. The little down-arrow should present all of the "make" options, not just the two other choices.

But Make Changes should be relabeled and moved somewhere else. It's an option that can produce a truly broken album. The nomenclature implies that this will process anything that has changed, but that's not what it does. It should be called something else, like Test layout. Even then, when invoked, it should pop up a warning message about how this may produce a badly malformed album because needed image reprocessing won't be done.

Just as a quick experiment, make a Minimal album with a mix of portrait and landscape images. Now turn off the fixed-shape thumbnails in the Minimal settings, choose Make Changes, and preview the album. What a mess.

And Make All should be accompanied by a popup warning about how this will do massive amounts of reprocessing and reuploading, even if it's not needed, along with an "Are you sure" dialog.
RobM

Posted: 17-Mar-2018 20:23   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
The manual helps, but this is just really bad UI design. The little down-arrow should present all of the "make" options, not just the two other choices.
I’ve made a few changes to the text on Make All and Make Changes, hopefully it is clearer users should just hit make album or make all, if really needed, and make changes only if they are playing about before deciding on a final format.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums