This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Feb-2018 00:59 Last Post By: jatrick Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jatrick

Improper orientation of album images
Posted: 09-Feb-2018 20:01

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Please see: https://www.hkvca.ca/galleries/Gallery/Before%20Hong%20Kong/RRC/Vancouver%20Manifest/index.htm . Note that the thumbnails look fine. Click on one and you should see the resulting image improperly rotated 90 degrees.

The images were acquired through a download from Facebook and were oriented correctly. I checked them using Picasa and it displays them correctly. I have re-made the album several times, with no success.

When I'm editing these items in JAlbum they appear in the proper orientation - it's only after publishing that the problem arises

I see that several years ago this problem cropped up, but I'm not sure that any of the advice is pertinent to my situation. I've checked the generated html files and it seems that the image dimensions are being coded incorrectly.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim

JAlbum: 15.1.6

Edited by: jatrick on 09-Feb-2018 20:02

Edited by: jatrick on 09-Feb-2018 20:05
AnCa

Re: Improper orientation of album images
Posted: 09-Feb-2018 20:07   in response to: jatrick in response to: jatrick

You are linking to the originals and the originals are not rotated correctly for viewing in a web browser. The images contains meta-data with the orientation but that isn't used when using the image within an HTML-page (but is when viewing only the image, so https://www.hkvca.ca/galleries/Gallery/Before%20Hong%20Kong/RRC/Vancouver%20Manifest/0.jpg is shown correctly).

You need to let jAlbum process the images by using the slide photos (but they can of course be quite large). Or rotate the images before feeding them to jAlbum.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2018 20:54   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
Helpful
AnCa wrote:
You need to let jAlbum process the images by using the slide photos (but they can of course be quite large).

To clarify, under Album > Settings > Pages, choose Link to scaled-down images only. Then under Album > Settings > Images > Image Bounds > Images, enter values that are larger than your original photos, like 2000x2000.
jatrick

Posted: 09-Feb-2018 21:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit and AnCa: Thanks very much for your quick assistance. I have followed the instructions in jGromit's reply and the problem with the orientation is now solved. Unfortunately I now have many extra files in my 2000 image album as there are now compressed copies of the images in addition to the originals. I understand why this has become necessary, but I have used JAlbum for years with linking to original images. It's just the one folder that caused me the problem.

Jim
jGromit

Posted: 09-Feb-2018 22:07   in response to: jatrick in response to: jatrick

Yes, I thought about that when I saw your album. Applying different settings to one folder out of many is feasible, but very tricky to pull off safely, so I wouldn't advise going down that road.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would just delete the existing output (click the little down-arrow to the right of the project thumbnail and choose Delete, Delete local album ) and perhaps even the contents of the website, then make the album again, and upload it again. Then you'd be back to the same sheer volume of files that you started with, with pretty much the same file sizes.

Just a few things to make sure of, on the Images tab. First, make sure the bounds really are larger than your originals - there's no harm in going overboard and choosing something like 5000x5000. Second, set Sharpen to zero. Finally, set JPEG quality to 85 or 90 (higher than that, and you'll end up with image files that are larger than what you started with, not in dimensions, but in file size).

When the original images are smaller than the image bounds, jAlbum does only minimal processing to the images, including things like correcting the orientation. There would certainly not be any detectable loss of quality, since it's not actually scaling the images to a different size. The file sizes are often smaller, but I'd be very surprised if you could see any difference between the scaled images and the originals.

Perhaps someone will chime in with a more clever way to tackle it, but I suspect other solutions are going to be fairly convoluted.
jatrick

Posted: 10-Feb-2018 00:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Many thanks for this additional info. The additional files are not a problem, so over time I'll publish the complete library with the new settings. I now have a much better understanding of how JAlbum works, thanks to you.

Jim
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums