This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Jan-2018 18:11 Last Post By: jlampl3
jlampl3

File Structure, Filezilla & Updating
Posted: 05-Jan-2018 04:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I was finally able to get my site up and running on Godaddy using Filezilla rather than the built in FTP which could never recognize the root file.
I had to load each file rather than uploading a zip for an 18GB site with many many files.

Two Questions.
1) Can someone list the file structure of a jalbum (Grommit - awesome:) site so I can figure out if I have duplicate folders etc after my marathon trying to get things to work?

2) The site is a growing archive of short video clips that get updated monthly. Once I update and create an new album in the desktop jalbum is there a way to update just folders and related files via Filezilla since the built in ftp app (which would recognize changes) doesn't seem to work with Godaddy.

many thanks for the wonderful app. it has taken years to replace my outdated system

Jack
www.neptunesportal.tv/artist.html
JeffTucker

Re: File Structure, Filezilla & Updating
Posted: 05-Jan-2018 06:34   in response to: jlampl3 in response to: jlampl3
Helpful
No mystery about what's in a finished album. From within jAlbum, open the project, then choose Tools, Open directories, Output directory. Everything you see there needs to be uploaded to your server, and nothing else.

I use FileZilla for my own site, but use the jAlbum uploader for stuff on jalbum.net. I just like the visual feedback and degree of control that FileZilla gives me. There's no need to puzzle over what to upload. FileZilla has a built-in routine for uploading only new or changed files - it quickly hops, skips, and jumps over the others. So, you can just mark all of the output files and folders in the PC side, and tell FileZilla to do its bit. Much safer than guessing about which root-level files and folders also need to be uploaded, even if you've made changes only in one folder.

In FileZilla, choose Edit, Settings. Then go to Transfers, File exists action and for Uploads, choose Overwrite file if source file newer.

Last but not least, when you get close to the end of your agreement on GoDaddy, leave. Not a great web host. You can't go wrong with any of the top few hosts on this review site: https://www.reviewhell.com/. I host all my stuff at MDDHosting, and have been very happy with them.

It wouldn't hurt to move your domain registration when it comes up for renewal, too. Don't wait until the last minute, in case there's a snag. I recommend Namecheap.
JeffTucker

Posted: 05-Jan-2018 06:38   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

BTW, you have a stray web location on your top page - the last icon, with the globe on it. What's the intent of that?
jlampl3

Posted: 07-Jan-2018 18:11   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks Gromit for all your help and advice. The extra globe was in case I decided to separate out each year's videos to simplify the updating. Now not needed so I'll remove it now that I know the full structure. :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums