This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 118 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] - Last Post: 28-Oct-2017 19:07 Last Post By: AndreWolff
jGromit

Re: jAlbum extracts the wrong GPS value and geotagging is not working
Posted: 14-Sep-2017 13:43   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
Then why don't you show us how you would do it in a language you do know.
That makes no sense, because it will not be applied in jAlbum....

So why did you tell us how this would be done in other languages?

And most computer languages share a great deal - the underlying logic is often identical, and only the syntax is different, so how do you know it wouldn't be applied?

AndreWolff wrote:
In all languages I know it is dead easy:

In which other languages are you proficient? How do you know it wouldn't be helpful? So show us.
RobM

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 15:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
Your comments don't help, there is nothing in them that David would not already be aware of.
How do you know? I think it is better that David tells that, or are you his secretary?
Because even I can see that your post contains nothing relevant to providing a Java specific coding solution to this Java foible. The software works the way it works, the way it works is documented and, apparently, you are the only person that has a problem with this.

Marking it again as unanswered and continually harping on about it not working the specific, and rather odd, way you want it to will not change the situation. It is what it is.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 16:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If you enter a search for a location, the search text remains visible for all other images - to make it easier to tag a group of photos. However, you can't actually use that search text by clicking into the field and pressing enter, you need to delete it and type it in again.

Sounds like a behavior of Google Maps that I'm not sure I can control. There is an update to the Google Maps integration component GMapsFX which we haven't yet integrated (we customized the component). Perhaps you can post this problem directly to the GMapsFX guys ?
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 16:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
I have attempted to document the help pages for location/geotagging, should anyone want to peruse it, or even update it the links are:
Edit mode page> View and edit properties > Location
Geotagging

Thanks Rob!
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 16:19   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
It's unfortunately not that easy. I've been trying but can't get that working.
JAVA seems to be a very difficult programming system!

In all languages I know it is dead easy: your program detects that the marker is changed, so it sets a ‘changed’ flag. The same flag is set if the user enters or deletes character. If you exit the edit mode the data are saved and the flag is cleared. If the Make button is hit the software should investigate the ‘changed’ flag and if it is set, it saves the data, clears the ‘changed’ flag and executes the Make.

Why is it so difficult to implement this in JAVA?

Don't make this a language issue., I could detect any change as soon as it happens (each key press), but it does take some time to write the updated coordinates to disk. Don't want to create a sluggish user experience by doing so. A possible solution would be to use a background task that writes updates when there hasn't been any activity the last second or so, but I don't think the added benefit outweighs the added complexity.
jGromit

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 16:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I could detect any change as soon as it happens (each key press), but it does take some time to write the updated coordinates to disk. Don't want to create a sluggish user experience by doing so.

I'm not sure it would be detectable. In this case, especially, the user wouldn't be touch-typing large amounts of text. If he clicks to place the marker, there's essentially just one quick update of the field. If he's entering coordinates by hand, half the time he's probably copying and pasting them in. Even if they're being entered manually, it's a relatively small number of keystrokes.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, when you're in Edit mode and entering a comment below the image, you can click Make Album, and the comment is shown in the album. Is that field being written out at every keystroke?

Edited by: jGromit on 14-Sep-2017 10:41
RobM

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 16:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
If you enter a search for a location, the search text remains visible for all other images - to make it easier to tag a group of photos. However, you can't actually use that search text by clicking into the field and pressing enter, you need to delete it and type it in again.

Sounds like a behavior of Google Maps that I'm not sure I can control. There is an update to the Google Maps integration component GMapsFX which we haven't yet integrated (we customized the component). Perhaps you can post this problem directly to the GMapsFX guys ?

No need, I was trying all sorts of things so I could write the help pages, in the end I found out it was not an actual issue
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 17:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:

Edit: Just out of curiosity, when you're in Edit mode and entering a comment below the image, you can click Make Album, and the comment is shown in the album. Is that field being written out at every keystroke?

No, upon lost keyboard focus. I can't really tell if/why it works for that field and not for the field in the location editor.
AndreWolff

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 18:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Don't make this a language issue., I could detect any change as soon as it happens (each key press), but it does take some time to write the updated coordinates to disk. Don't want to create a sluggish user experience by doing so.
I suggest only to set a 'changed' flag to true at any change, that will not create a sluggish user experience.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Sep-2017 12:45   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Don't make this a language issue., I could detect any change as soon as it happens (each key press), but it does take some time to write the updated coordinates to disk. Don't want to create a sluggish user experience by doing so.
I suggest only to set a 'changed' flag to true at any change, that will not create a sluggish user experience.

The problem is not the lack of a "changed" flag, but that the component delivers the value as it was prior to being edited when asked for its value.
RobM

Posted: 15-Sep-2017 12:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

The problem is not the lack of a "changed" flag, but that the component delivers the value as it was prior to being edited when asked for its value.

David, is it safe to say that if you can find an acceptable solution you will implement an update and that further discussion is counter productive as it diverts your attention from doing so?
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Sep-2017 14:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

David, is it safe to say that if you can find an acceptable solution you will implement an update and that further discussion is counter productive as it diverts your attention from doing so?

Yes and yes :-)
KeesSnepvangers

Posted: 15-Sep-2017 14:46   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM,

Good very question, no doubt about that. May I say that I will miss this discussion. :) :( :)
AndreWolff

Posted: 28-Oct-2017 16:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

But it is still not working in version 14.2b7: Geotagging is not correctly working: after you move the location and click the Make button, the new location is not visible in the album.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums