This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Sep-2017 23:00 Last Post By: jGromit
ANEIGHBOR

Control Size of Title Bar Between Browsers
Posted: 29-Sep-2017 21:28

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,
I am a big fan of Matrix. I used it for my personal artist site and now for my business. Thank you!

While it looks fine on my monitor, others are experiencing some variability in the size of the title bar between browsers. I would like width of the title bar, image, and thumbstrip below to be the same. Is there a way I can guarantee this? I tried making the title bar a fixed size, same as my images, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Thank you!
jGromit

Re: Control Size of Title Bar Between Browsers
Posted: 29-Sep-2017 21:59   in response to: ANEIGHBOR in response to: ANEIGHBOR

ANEIGHBOR wrote:
I would like width of the title bar, image, and thumbstrip below to be the same. Is there a way I can guarantee this?

In a word, no. The skin is only what I call "semi-responsive," which leads to the variability you're seeing.

Let's start with the title bar. If you set it to a percentage width, like 95%, it will always be 95% of the width of the browser window, no matter how large. So, on a monitor that's 30" wide, with a maximized browser window, it will be 28.5" wide. There's a lower limit, determined by the thumbnail table - on a small display, Matrix won't wrap the rows of thumbnails, so you'll eventually hit a point at which you get a horizontal scrollbar. If, instead, you set the titlebar to a fixed width, like 900px, that's the width it will always be, no matter what. In short, the thumbnail page is not fully responsive to the size of the browser window.

But now let's look a the large images. There are fully responsive, but with an upper limit, rather than a lower one. If you set the image bounds to, say, 1200x750, the large images will always be shown at 1200px wide (if the image is actually that wide, of course), as long as the browser window is big enough to handle it. On a smaller monitor, the image will be shrunk so that it always still fits in the in browser window. But on that 30" monitor, it will never be any wider than 1200px, no matter what. The thumbstrip is also responsive to the width of the browser window, but it uses as much space as it can.

Let's say you set the titlebar to a fixed 1200px, and set the image bounds to 1200x750. On a large display, the titlebar and the large image will be the same width. But on a smaller display, the titlebar will still be 1200px wide, but the image may be shown at 1080x675, so that it still fits.

So what you've got are two very different display mechanisms at work. There's really no way to make them always synchronize.
jGromit

Re: Control Size of Title Bar Between Browsers
Posted: 29-Sep-2017 23:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Another option you might want to try is the banner-style titlebar, which sort of skirts the issue. You get a titlebar that's always wall-to-wall, no matter the size of the browser window, while still having large images that adapt to the window. The thumbstrip will be wall-to-wall unless there aren't enough images.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums