This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 22-Sep-2017 10:29 Last Post By: RobM
rchorne

Thumbnail URL (Legacy)
Posted: 22-Sep-2017 01:35

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment gromit-tn-url.JPG (37,5 KB)
I'm new to Gromit and have run up against what I hope is a simply solved problem. I need to link each thumbnail to its own URL. The Edit screen for Gromit lists "Thumbnail URL (Legacy)", but it's grayed out and will not accept any input. Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something. I really need to be able to establish individual thumbnail links.

I've attached a JPG of the screen.

Thanks,
Bob
Dallas, TX USA
jGromit

Re: Thumbnail URL (Legacy)
Posted: 22-Sep-2017 01:55   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

jAlbum 14 introduced webLocations, which essentially take the place of the prior skin-specific method of linking a thumbnail to a URL. So, older projects that used direct thumbnail URL links are still supported, but going forward, regular jAlbum webLocations should be used. Here's the manual page that explains how to do it:

https://jgromit.com/gromit/man/gromit_master-album.html
rchorne

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 02:22   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

I appreciate your quick response, but I'm afraid I'm confused by your reply. I'm a novice at all of this, but it sounds like jAlbum 14 wants me to build a separate url for each of the thumbnails individually and then link from a master thumbnail url gallery to the individual urls. That seems a bit extreme and convoluted. If I'm understanding you correctly, the prior releases of jAlbum didn't require all of this. Should I be looking for an earlier release than 14? Some of the other jAlbum skins have a direct link for each thumbnail, but they each seem to lack some other requirement of mine. So I was really hoping Gromit would be a solution.

Thanks,
Bob
jGromit

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 02:57   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

The newer approach is actually much simpler, so I guess I just don't understand what you're trying to do.

If you want to have a thumbnail in an album that takes the visitor to some other site, you just add a webLocation to the album. Presumably, that other site is already available somewhere on the web, right?

If you're just trying to build an album that has folders within it, none of this is necessary, of course. You just create folders within the album project, and all of the linking is taken care of automatically.
rchorne

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 04:17   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

Okay, let me try this again. I do apologize for my lack of knowledge and terms. I am using the Gromit skin version 48 and wanting to redirect a visitor to different sites depending on which gallery thumbnail they click. I only have one album, but my photo gallery will have around 100 thumbnails; each with its own URL. You mention a webLocation for each thumbnail that should be able to contain the URL address, but I don't know where to look for that. I see a "Thumbnail URL (Legacy)" in the Gromit editing settings for each thumbnail, but it won't allow me to input any address. Is this webLocation in the Gromit settings? Or in the edit settings for each thumbnail?

Thank you so much for your assistance!
Bob
jGromit

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 04:30   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

Start a new album project - File, New Album Project - and give it a name. Select the skin you want to use. Do not add any images.

Now just right-click in the empty window and choose New page, Web location. Enter the URL of the other site you want to link to via a thumbnail. For example, enter https://jgromit.com. Click Update, give it a few seconds while it connects to that site and extracts a thumbnail image for it, then click OK. Do the same thing again, but enter https://misterneutron.com this time, click Update, then click OK.

Now click Make Album. You will have an album with two thumbnails, each of which takes the visitor to some other website.

You can choose your own image to represent each remote site, rather that settling for the automatically-recovered image. Hover on the thumbnail in the Explore window, click More, then Edit. You can either enter a link to the image you want to use in the Image URL box, or click the folder icon to the right and navigate to the image you want to use.

You can provide your own Title and/or Comment for the thumbnail just as you would with any jAlbum object - image, video, folder, webLocation, etc. Again, hover on the thumbnail, click More, then Edit. You can now enter a title and/or comment:

rchorne

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 04:37   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

Thank you. It's getting pretty late here so I'll play with this tomorrow. I do appreciate your patience!

Bob
RobM

Posted: 22-Sep-2017 10:29   in response to: rchorne in response to: rchorne

For web locations have a look at jAlbum's manual:
Explore mode>Tool bar>New Page>Web location
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums