This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Aug-2017 10:59 Last Post By: davidekholm
jeff3122

"Upload" Greyed Out
Posted: 26-Aug-2017 00:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I upgraded to 14.1.7 from 12.x and added an image to an existing album. I clicked on "Make album" at the lower left corner of the screen, then, after that process was finished, "Upload". I get a "Please select a location for your album" dialog box and I click the location I want to upload the edited file to. The "Upload" button in the lower right corner remains greyed out, no matter what I do. I also have a message below the directory listing that says "Address no web directory selected."

What do I need to do to upload this edited album??
jGromit

Re: "Upload" Greyed Out
Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:07   in response to: jeff3122 in response to: jeff3122

Puzzling. A couple of possibilities....

Try selecting rory.asoshared.com, then marking it as the web root (sixth icon from the left). It should prompt you for the actual URL of the root of your domain. I see that there's no domain called http://rory.asoshared.com - you'll need to enter the real URL of your domain.

It might also be choking on having a directory name with an apostrophe in it. Try making some minor change to one of the other albums, one with a name with no punctuation (like Characters or Landscapes), and see if that works.
jeff3122

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm not sure where you're seeing http://rory.asoshared.com - here is a screen shot of what I see when I click on the 6th icon from the left (7.10.49 PM.png).

I left it as it was - it is asking for a web address.

I added a photograph to the Owls sub-directory (no apostrophe in the name) and initially thought that I was going to be successful but got two dialog boxes superimposed over each other (7.13.48 PM.png and 7.13.56 PM.png).

The first had the Mac file upload icon still rotating after there was nothing left to upload and the second has the message "java.net.MalformedURLException".

I checked the status of the upload by going to the website and the file had not uploaded.

Very strange ....
jGromit

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:31   in response to: jeff3122 in response to: jeff3122

Until David can tackle this (I'm out of bright ideas), remember that you can always use a standalone FTP client like FileZilla to do your uploading. From within jAlbum, with the project open, open the output directory - Tools, Open directories, Output directory - and upload everything you see there to the directory on the server where the album lives.
jeff3122

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the effort. I'm not going to use Filezilla because the upload is not that important.

When I downloaded the update, I kept the old installation of 12.x. Do you think there might be a conflict there somewhere? Should I drag the old installation to the trash? I'm rather surprised that an update to jAlbum doesn't overwrite the previous installation ...

Thanks!
jGromit

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:44   in response to: jeff3122 in response to: jeff3122

On a Mac, jAlbum 12 and jAlbum 14 shouldn't have any problem coexisting. Even in Windows you can get away with it if you know what you're doing.

The two versions do share a single config directory, however, so It might be worth going into the upload manager - Tools, Upload/Manage - deleting the profile for your ASO hosting account, and re-creating it. I don't think there have been any major changes in the way that info is stored, but it wouldn't hurt to start fresh. You would have to identify the web root again (it appears you had it right - the directory is rory.asoshared.com, but the domain address associated with it looks right).

Of course, the problem might be with ASO - a test with FileZilla might reveal a lot. Ever since they were bought out by EIG, I gather things have not been going so well.
jeff3122

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 01:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Upon starting up the upgraded version of jAlbum, the default profile had www.iomaire.com as the ftp address. I changed it to the correct address because I initially couldn't execute an ftp upload.

I was going to use FileZilla as an experiment, as you suggested, but stopped when I saw that there was no "hi-res" folder in the jAlbum output directory.

I also noted, when I looked at the directories listed in FileZilla, that there was an additional directory called Totem and Other Owls1.

This is really weird!

I do agree with you about ASO - they are the pits. But moving to another hosting company is a hassle and I'm not convinced that there is a better alternative. They're all crooks.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 02:07   in response to: jeff3122 in response to: jeff3122
Helpful
jeff3122 wrote:
I was going to use FileZilla as an experiment, as you suggested, but stopped when I saw that there was no "hi-res" folder in the jAlbum output directory.

jAlbum will now produce so-called hi-res images only if you choose Link to hi-res via scaled images. It's not part of the uploading routine any longer (since jAlbum 13).

I maintain that the reasons for creating them in the first place no longer apply, and have recommended that they be removed from the application. https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=49861

David mostly agrees, but is constitutionally incapable of pruning deadwood. ;)

I do agree with you about ASO - they are the pits. But moving to another hosting company is a hassle and I'm not convinced that there is a better alternative. They're all crooks.

Any non-EIG host will be better than one of EIG's cost-cutting captives. I trust this guy's reviews: https://www.reviewhell.com/. All my stuff is now at MDDHosting - been there for a year, with excellent uptime, good speed, and no drama.
jeff3122

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 02:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I did the file upload with FileZilla and checked the website - everything is fine. So I guess there is something that I'm not doing right with jAlbum.

I'll look at the review site that you mentioned - I've been unhappy with ASO for a a long, long time. I have an account with InMotion and they're only marginally better. And SiteGround was a horror show!
jGromit

Posted: 26-Aug-2017 02:23   in response to: jeff3122 in response to: jeff3122

I'm surprised you had problems with InMotion and SiteGround - they usually get high marks, though SiteGround's marketing tactics are apparently somewhat irritating.
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Aug-2017 10:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi Jeff, jAlbum's founder + lead developer here. I can look into this issue, but I'd need access to your ftp server. If you're ok with that, mail the "accounts.xml" file from jAlbum's "config" folder to me (david@jalbum.net). You find jAlbum's config folder under Tools->Open directories->Config directory.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums