Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13-Sep-2017 15:57 Last Post By: jGromit
kristoffstudio

Turtle: Display Long Text on Index Pages
Posted: 17-Aug-2017 15:23
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've been looking for a way to do this for months! This example is perfect:

http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/D%C3%BCck/People/index.html

I'm a windows user, but not a programmer. I assume I add this code as a modification to CSS, right? Then how do I actually enter the desired text? Simple instructions would be great if anyone can provide them.

I'm also looking for a way to eliminate the header image on the index page... leaving just title text over my imported background image (no color box, etc.)

Thanks!

GORDON

(Thread split from this thread: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=50510. And moved to the Turtle forum section, since this question is skin-specific.)

Edited by: jGromit on 17-Aug-2017 12:19
RobM

Re: Turtle: Display Long Text on Index Pages
Posted: 17-Aug-2017 15:35   in response to: kristoffstudio in response to: kristoffstudio
To edit the files, page-header.inc and index.htt, as shown above either:
Use SHIFT + CMD/CNTRL + S to open the skin directory and open those files in a text editor.
Or
Use Menu/Tools/Skin developer/Edit skin files then select those files and edit the lines indelicated.

Note, skin edits will not survive a skin update, so the changes will need to be made after each update.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 15:40   in response to: kristoffstudio in response to: kristoffstudio
kristoffstudio wrote:
I've been looking for a way to do this for months!

And yet, posting a question about this in the Turtle forum section probably would have gotten you an answer within a day or two, at most.

This is why the Tips section says, in bold letters, Please don't post questions here.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 15:45   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
To edit the files....

Don't edit the skin files. I'm fairly certain these changes can be done entirely within the Turtle user interface (and done without introducing invalid HTML, which karlmistelberger's example does), and saved with the project. There is no need to hack the skin templates.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 16:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
And yet, posting a question about this in the Turtle forum section probably would have gotten you an answer within a day or two, at most.

I lied. Less than an hour, and with no editing of the skin files at all:

(demo album removed)

Edited by: jGromit on 13-Sep-2017 09:57
jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 18:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Last post from kristoffstudio, lost when the thread was split:

I checked your sample Gromit - great. This is exactly what I'm talking about. But try as I may I can't duplicate it! I thought of creating a blank (transparent) image (PNG OR GIF) and using that as the theme image, but it looks like Jalbum converts it to JPEG so transparency isn't possible.

After several more hours... I can't find any button or selection in the skin's settings that can accomplish this. Sigh!!

I guess I can keep banging my head against the wall...or perhaps you can share your secret (at this point -- I'LL PAY FOR IT!!)

Thanks.

GORDON

jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 18:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attached is the project file - import the settings from it to a test album, so you can see what's going on.

A quick run-down....

First, the longer descriptive text. Do not enter an Album description at all, since Turtle will insist upon putting that over the theme image (or enter some shorter text that you want to display with the album title). Instead, enter what you see under Turtle > Advanced > HTML > Thumbnails. I've added some styling to center the text, to set the text color, and to apply a little side padding so that the text doesn't run all the way out to the edges.

Now, getting rid of the theme image. You need to enter what you see under Turtle > Advanced > CSS. This gets rid of the theme image, the box-shadow around it, and the gradient overlay.

Last but not least, you'll want to tinker with the theme image size, probably making it shorter than the default (in my example, it's set to 900x100). How much shorter will depend on things like whether or not you're including the arrow that starts the slideshow, the search capability, the social media links, and so on. So, I can't tell you what the best size will be.

You might also need to do something about the text color of the album title, since it's not being shown against a theme image any longer - I have no idea what your page background image looks like. If so, add this to the Turtle > Advanced > CSS section:
#main header .title {color: #ff0000;}
(This would make it red, for example.)
RobM

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 18:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Not that using a PNG image would work, but so you know, see Settings/Images/Advanced - Force jpeg writing for why they get converted to jpg.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 18:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Not that using a PNG image would work, but so you know, see Settings/Images/Advanced - Force jpeg writing for why they get converted to jpg.

In this case, no. Turtle creates a JPG for the theme image no matter what that setting is.
RobM

Posted: 17-Aug-2017 18:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

In this case, no. Turtle creates a JPG for the theme image no matter what that setting is.

Of course, sorry, not an 'normal' image is it.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 19-Aug-2017 07:36   in response to: kristoffstudio in response to: kristoffstudio
kristoffstudio wrote:
I've been looking for a way to do this for months! This example is perfect:
http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/D%C3%BCck/People/index.html
The procedure outlined in the tip allows for the index pages of the subfolders having their own text. Turtle does not support this: Sorry, there is no such option.. In case you want to have this option copy the existing skin to a new folder and modify the files of the copy only according to the procedure given there.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Aug-2017 12:53   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
This user doesn't want different text for each folder - he just wants the album description to be displayed in a longer format. I've had email from him - what I've outlined above does exactly what he wants, and he's already implemented it on his site.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums