This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 59 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 25-Jan-2017 07:44 Last Post By: Laza
ChuckT

Re: Base Skin Pimped with a new init.bsh
Posted: 19-Jan-2017 19:55   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I did add that space now it looks better.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 19:56   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Um, you have to click Make Album after making any changes to the settings or to the skin's template files. It doesn't happen by itself.

The integrated browser should refresh itself after making the album again, but I can never remember - I don't use it, preferring to see the preview in a real browser (the integrated browser is not 100% reliable).
ChuckT

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 20:03   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Attachment 01_19 sucess.jpg (290,9 KB)
Ok so if I shut down jAlbum completely I get the result I want.

Screen shot of a different group attached
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 20:09   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

You shouldn't have to shut down jAlbum completely - I often replace even compiled code while I'm working on a new skin version and do my testing without exiting jAlbum.

You may be running into some sort of caching in the integrated browser. You might be better off disabling it, and letting F12 give you a preview of the album in your default browser.
ChuckT

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 20:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

"caching in the integrated browser. You might be better off disabling it", If that present I haven't found it

F12 I've never tried.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 20:26   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Attachment ss002514.png (79,4 KB)
Tools, Preferences, General, Use jAlbum's integrated browser.

F12 is just a handy shortcut. Actually, when you're tinkering, it's easier to preview the album in your browser, make your changes in jAlbum, click Make Album (or just hit F9), switch to your already-open browser, and hit F5 to refresh the page.

The keyboard shortcuts (where they exist - some things don't have a shortcut) are all shown on the menu entries.
RobM

Posted: 19-Jan-2017 20:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Tools, Preferences, General, Use jAlbum's integrated browser.

F12 is just a handy shortcut. Actually, when you're tinkering, it's easier to preview the album in your browser, make your changes in jAlbum, click Make Album (or just hit F9), switch to your already-open browser, and hit F5 to refresh the page.

The keyboard shortcuts (where they exist - some things don't have a shortcut) are all shown on the menu entries.

When using the integrated browser you can also hold down the Alt/Opt key whilst pressing the preview button to open he external browser. Keyboard shortcuts are listed here
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 13:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Helpful
Just a couple of addenda, for posterity....

This method is fine for making a few changes. If you had more, or were routinely changing them, it would probably be easier to define the swap text as an array, then do a "for" loop to march through them:
	String[][] swapPairs = {
		{"Image Description", "Description:"},
		{"Iptc.By-line", "Credit:"},
		{"Iptc.Date Created", "Date:"},
		{"Iptc.Keywords", "Keywords:"},
		{"Iptc.Sub-location", "Location:"}
	};
	for(String[] thisPair : swapPairs) {
		slideCaption = slideCaption.replace(thisPair[0], thisPair[1]);
	}
Just watch the syntax - in particular, the lack of a trailing comma after the last pair, the semi-colon after the array definition, and the lack of a semi-colon after the "for" loop.

If you wanted simply to eliminate several labels, rather than changing them, you could do it in one line:
slideCaption = slideCaption.replaceAll("Image Description|Iptc.By-line|Iptc.Date|Iptc.Keywords|Iptc.Sub-location", "");
Note the use of replaceAll() rather than replace(), and the pipe separator to indicate "or" choices.
ChuckT

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 14:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I ran a large, 423 images, portraits session thru jAlbum/Base skin/Primped with all of the changes incorporated and got a result that I think will work and is an improvement on Adobe.

I have passed that on to co-workers for comment.

Still puzzled by one thing - jAlbum will accept Raw files (these are originally from a Nikon) but it ignores the xmp data?

Am I overlooking something?
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 14:40   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Unless I'm mistaken, when it comes to RAW files, the xmp metadata are stored in a sidecar file, rather than within the image file. I don't think the jAlbum metadata extractor knows how to deal with that sidecar file. Or maybe it's just that the sidecar file isn't included in the album project at all, so it can't see it.
Laza

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 15:08   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

RAW files contain only Exif data, while Xmp is usually added during the post-processing to the processed images. I don't think Xmp data gets written back to RAW files - they supposed to be kept untouched.
ChuckT

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 16:33   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Pity, means that while jAlbum does process Raw files it doesn't use the "last-est" version of the image file, the one that has all the Raw converter changes to it. Adds another step in the Workflow.
ChuckT

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 16:55   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

I want to you all for the help. It's been an interesting trip and I can now pass on a positive recommendation to purchase jAlbum.

cvt
ChuckT

Posted: 20-Jan-2017 16:59   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

The advice and replies I received were extremely helpful. And, considering my relative inexperience, patient in the extreme!

cvt
Laza

Posted: 25-Jan-2017 07:43   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Those added extra data is dependent on the software you used, so it's not easy to grab. Lightroom - as far as I know - use a central database to store such things - which is not easy to reach. You can also ask LR to add sidecar files, but that's not automatic. (This latter could be easier to grab.) However I would never use the RAW files, as processing them (converting to JPG) is always better in a software specifically made for this purpose.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums