Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 03-Aug-2016 16:48 Last Post By: jGromit
jGromit

England Pics
Posted: 29-Jul-2016 07:42
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Just back from 3+ weeks in southwest England, mostly walking, drinking, and eating. Some nice photos, I think.

They're in four bite-size chunks, in reverse chronological order - I started in Cornwall, then moved to the Cotswolds, then Dorset, and ended the trip in Salisbury. Small group hiking in Cornwall, solo the rest of the time, though in the Cotswolds and Dorset I used a travel company that arranges the lodging and provides printed trail guides and maps for each day.

Peruse at your leisure, or not.

http://jefftucker.org/
RobM

Re: England Pics
Posted: 29-Jul-2016 12:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Just back from 3+ weeks in southwest England, mostly walking, drinking, and eating. Some nice photos, I think.
Did you mean mostly drinking, eating and walking? ;)
Did you go to the old post office in Tintagel? It is a nice old building.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jul-2016 13:04   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Did you mean mostly drinking, eating and walking? ;)

No, the daily sequence was, indeed, walking, then drinking, then eating. Lots of each.

Did you go to the old post office in Tintagel? It is a nice old building.

Missed that one.
mrag

Posted: 29-Jul-2016 16:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Very nice photos. Did you do "HDR" on some of them? A few of the interior shots at Salisbury Cathedral almost give an appearance of stainless steel. And you didn't mention the Magna Carta?

And the Ferris wheel? Is that a permanent attraction? People in England sure like their rocks.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jul-2016 16:14   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Nope, no HDR or other manipulation. The cathedral interiors were almost all done with just natural light, to boot. The place really is lighter and brighter than most cathedrals.

Saw the Magna Carta, of course, but no photography of it is allowed, so the shot would have been of a nondescript booth sitting in the middle of a large room. "You can't see it in this photo, but...."

The ferris wheel is just a summer temporary, plunked down on one edge of the old market square.
mrag

Posted: 01-Aug-2016 18:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
A self admission of geographic naivety, but I had no idea where the Cotswolds are/is. Relatively easy to track down on Google maps and if it's a private type album, you might be able to recall where it was several years from now, so who cares. But for someone just looking at the album, I still like the idea of some pop up, pop down map as a general orientation. Just a thought.

Pretty country side and as a fan of Midsomer Murders, quite enjoyed the photos, just wasn't sure where the heck you were. Anyone else feel the same about travel images?
jGromit

Posted: 01-Aug-2016 18:21   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Almost every caption in that album has a place name with it. Plug any one of them into Google maps.... In fact, there are even Google street views in the tiniest of little villages. I was surprised at how extensive the coverage is.

In general, there's a lot of "countryside" between little villages, so precise locations are largely irrelevant. In fact, even using Google maps to navigate, one is often told to go "1.2 miles, turn left," with no road name or number - because the road has no name or number!
AnCa

Posted: 03-Aug-2016 16:12   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Yes, very nice indeed! :)
jGromit

Posted: 03-Aug-2016 16:48   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
Yes, very nice indeed! :)

Thank you. :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer