This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-May-2016 16:40 Last Post By: nunz
nunz

Loop
Posted: 30-Apr-2016 03:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
How can I make the movie "loop"?
jGromit

Re: Loop
Posted: 30-Apr-2016 03:25   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz
Helpful
It does that automatically. In fact, there's no way to prevent it from looping.
nunz

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 03:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The answer was to re-install jAlbum from scratch.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 06:45   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz
Helpful
That seems like overkill - simply reinstalling the skin would probably have done the trick.
nunz

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 15:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Oh, I see. Thanks, jGromit. Let me try that first from now on when I suspect something may have gone wrong with a skin.

Thanks again. I really like Ken Burns effects.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 15:49   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz

Well, I never argue with success, and a jAlbum reinstall goes pretty quickly. :)
nunz

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 21:56   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz

Another strange situation has arisen.

If I upload the album to a webspace of a commercial server, it plays well with sound.

But, the moment I put a password protection on the album folder, the sound would not play at all even though the visual animation continues to play fine.

jGromit

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 22:00   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz
Correct
Oh, I've run into that with videos, rather than audio files. If you password-protect the album directory, the media player in the album can't access the video file. I'm not sure why that happens, but I've never found a way around it. I suspect it's the same kind of problem with audio files.

In Mr.Burn5, you could probably plant the audio in an unprotected directory on your server, and give the album the full path to it, like http://mydomain.com/media/mydog.mp3.
nunz

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 22:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The funny thing is this. I am on a Mac and tested this with three browsers after I cleared all cache, etc.

Safari will lose sound.
Firefox does not.
Chromium does not.

Strange. Thanks for the trick. I will definitely try that!!
nunz

Posted: 01-May-2016 14:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit - I can't thank you enough.
Your "mydomain" trick works beautifully to get around the issue.
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2016 15:14   in response to: nunz in response to: nunz

I'm glad that did the trick for you.

I should do some controlled experiments to try to nail down the exact combinations that cause this problem. I suspect it may depend upon whether the media file is being invoked by a simple HTML tag, or by a Javascript routine, but that's just a hunch....
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2016 16:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

It's all coming back to me, now....

Whether your video or audio is being triggered by a Javascript routine (as in Turtle), or being handled by a simple HTML tag (as in Minimal), all browsers except Safari handle it gracefully - you're prompted to login to the directory, and then everything is fine. In Safari, annoyingly, you have to login again to view each video, or to listen to each audio.

Where things get truly catastrophic, however, is on mobile devices. I won't bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that if you want mobile visitors to be able to see your videos or hear your audios, you'll have to stash them in an unprotected directory. Of course with videos, that pretty much defeats the purpose of password-protecting the album in the first place!
jGromit

Posted: 01-May-2016 16:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One thing to try in Safari - when you login to the album itself, check the box to let Safari remember the password in Keychain.
nunz

Posted: 01-May-2016 16:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I was extremely annoyed by Safari's double-authentication requests. So, I immediately tested the same link with Firefox and Chromium, and found that they don't result in double authentication.

You are quite right about viewing a protected webpage with music in Safari on mobile devices. I was so annoyed by it that I almost gave up on the approach. Imagine sending a link to people with iPhones. They would most likely open it in Safari. I can literally imagine how annoyed they would be when they are asked TWICE to authenticate.

As you instructed, the album is still in a protected directory. But, after I moved the mp3 music file out of the album and put it in an unprotected directory, the movie sees to work fine in Safari on my iPhone.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums