Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Sep-2015 17:48 Last Post By: mrag
mrag

Any reason to get Windows 10?
Posted: 31-Jul-2015 20:43
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Well I believe with this recent exchange I've already received the answer, but I'll still ask. Is there any reason at this point in time for a normal, rational person satisfied with Win 7 and related programs including jAlbum to "upgrade" to Win 10? Might waiting another 6 months or so prove to be a sagacious decision?
RobM

Re: Any reason to get Windows 10?
Posted: 31-Jul-2015 21:47   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Well I believe with this recent exchange I've already received the answer, but I'll still ask. Is there any reason at this point in time for a normal, rational person satisfied with Win 7 and related programs including jAlbum to "upgrade" to Win 10? Might waiting another 6 months or so prove to be a sagacious decision?
It is always worth waiting a week or two, but six months? You will then end up waiting for the next OS upgrade. Let the early adopters find the worst bugs, or lack of them, then jump in and find your own unique set of problems ;)
jGromit

Posted: 31-Jul-2015 22:28   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
I did the update for only one reason - I wanted to see what my skins, especially Matrix, were going to do in Edge. A mismatch between Edge and Highslide JS would have been a disaster, with little chance of a fix. So far, things appear to be fine in that regard.

I don't think Win10 brings anything new and exciting to the table for a Win7 user. I think I'd just stick with Win7 until your PC dies a natural death - support is likely to continue for years.

If you're lumbered with Win8, however, I would strongly advise updating to Win10. They've cured a lot of the worst garbage in Win8.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Aug-2015 15:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
If you're lumbered with Win8, however, I would strongly advise updating to Win10. They've cured a lot of the worst garbage in Win8.

Got a really good look at Win8 over the weekend - my brother and his wife got a new PC after their old one died a horrible death. It came with Win8.1, and while they're eligible for the Win10 update, Microsoft isn't quite ready to feed it to them.

I had never really experienced Win8 "hands on," as it were. OMFG, what a mess!

Revised advice: If you have Win8, do the Win10 update the very moment you are able to!!!
mrag

Posted: 16-Aug-2015 16:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
You've had Win10 for two weeks and said no reason for you to return to Win7. Does this change anything regarding previous advice for most others to stay with Win7? Those with Win8 of course, run, do not walk to Win10.

I had told Microsoft I would "upgrade" to Win10 from 7 and now every time I boot up I get a pop up notice to do the upgrade. I have not yet found the button that says "I've changed my mind, leave me be with Win7."
jGromit

Posted: 16-Aug-2015 16:19   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
I think it really depends on the machine. My brother has a not-too-old laptop with Win7, but the MS scan indicated that there may not be compatible drivers for the wireless device in it. Of course, not being able to connect to the Interwebs would be only a minor inconvenience. ;)

If you're doing skin development, and need to see what Edge will do, you have no choice but to move to Win10. Otherwise, I guess I'd still advise happy Win7 users to leave well enough alone. Fiddling around with device driver problems isn't for the faint of heart.

Not sure how to shut off the "wanna upgrade now?" message. I suspect you can go into the Control Panel, Windows Update, and right-click and hide the Win10 update. I've got nothing with which to test it. There's also a Win10 upgrade icon in your system tray - you might pull that up and do some poking around there.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Aug-2015 22:13   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
I had told Microsoft I would "upgrade" to Win10 from 7 and now every time I boot up I get a pop up notice to do the upgrade. I have not yet found the button that says "I've changed my mind, leave me be with Win7."

I think I know how to get rid of that. Hit the Control Panel, Windows Updates, Installed Updates, and uninstall both KB2952664 and KB3035583. Reboot, then immediately head back to Control Panel, Windows Updates, and tell it to Check for Updates. It will find those two again - right-click each, and tell it to hide them.
mrag

Posted: 28-Sep-2015 22:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
On this Win 7 laptop I 'signed up' to get Win 10 when it became available. Now EVERY-TIME the laptop boots it begins downloading Win 10. I have tried several times to tell the laptop nicely that I was quite happy with Win 7. I've even followed several Google search answers on how to stop/prevent this behaviour. It would seem that finally, Microsoft has created a routine that can't be defeated.

To Microsoft's credit, there is no simple "I've changed my mind button" and as an extra incentive, it seems they have also cut out ever again giving me 'regular' updates and security checks for Win 7. Basically, Microsoft appears to have solidly grabbed my genitals and are forcing me into Win 10. Now this is the monopoly we always thought it to be.

Just a head's up for those that may follow.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Sep-2015 22:49   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
The routine I outlined above succeeded in turning off the Win10 downloading on my brother's old Win7 laptop (the compatibility check had warned him that the WiFi chip in his laptop might not work with Win10 - kind of critical!).

You may need to tell Win7 that you don't want it to download and install updates automatically. That should give you the chance to hide the updates you don't want.
RobM

Posted: 28-Sep-2015 23:27   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Basically, Microsoft appears to have solidly grabbed my genitals and are forcing me into Win 10. > Now this is the monopoly we always thought it to be.
iPhone, iPad, Windows?
iPhone, iPad, OS X :)
I think you should consider a different monopoly ;)

Edited by: RobM on 28-Sep-2015 22:28
mrag

Posted: 29-Sep-2015 15:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
When does the "compatibility check" come on?

I thought I had turned off the Win 10 upgrade weeks ago and got all the 'normal' Win 7 updates. Yesterday, I turned on the laptop and kind of forgot about it. The next time I looked at the screen though the laptop already had automatically downloaded a few hundred Mb for Win 10!

So now I'm sort of in the middle of the river. Do I turn back for Win 7 or do I bite the bullet and push forward with Win 10? Is Win 10 anymore worthwhile?

And I guess I can always move to Ubuntu if all else fails.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Sep-2015 15:16   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
When does the "compatibility check" come on?

It should have happened automatically, but you can trigger it: http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-pc-run-windows-10-use-this-well-hidden-compatibility-checker-to-find-out/

But even that is no guarantee. I had problems with my Ethernet card and with my graphics drivers. All sorted now, but it took some finagling.

So now I'm sort of in the middle of the river. Do I turn back for Win 7 or do I bite the bullet and push forward with Win 10? Is Win 10 anymore worthwhile?

How old is the laptop? If less than 2 years, I'd say go for Win10. Older than that, stick with Win7 until you get something new and shiny.

And I guess I can always move to Ubuntu if all else fails.

Which brings an entirely new raft of problems with it!
mrag

Posted: 30-Sep-2015 17:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit
I think I know how to get rid of that. Hit the Control Panel, Windows Updates, Installed Updates, and uninstall both KB2952664 and KB3035583. Reboot, then immediately head back to Control Panel, Windows Updates, and tell it to Check for Updates. It will find those two again - right-click each, and tell it to hide them.

That worked and appears to have stopped Win 10's incessant demands to upgrade. Although getting back to the regular old 'automatic updates' for Win 7 now seems a possible issue.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums