Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Aug-2015 21:41 Last Post By: jGromit
jGromit

Windows 10 - first impressions
Posted: 29-Jul-2015 23:51
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've posted elsewhere about one display glitch in jAlbum running under Windows 10:

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=49644

I'd like to keep that thread "clean," dealing only with that particular issue.

But how did the Windows 10 update go for me? Not bad at all. I was starting with a fully-patched, very clean Windows 7 Home Premium, running on a 3-year-old Dell with an i7 chip, 8GB of RAM, and plenty of free disk space. I've also got a very solid 66mbps connection. The entire process took about 90 minutes, with only a couple of stops for things to which I had to respond (like "Yes, I accept your terms and conditions, even though I haven't read a word of them.").

No immediate disasters. Unlike Win8, Win10 is a reasonably familiar environment for a Win7 user. Some things have moved around, but I've quickly found the familiar places, with the occasional quick Google to hunt down something. Clicking the Start button brings up some new "tile-y" stuff, but there is a complete list of your programs. Right-clicking the Start button gives you access to a lot of things like the Control Panel, Task Manager, and so on. Looks like a well-thought-out selection of the tools that you most often need.

It took some fiddling, but I succeeded in getting the Win10 machine to talk to my Macbook, so I can move files between them without a thumbdrive or SD card. My 10-year-old bottom-of-the-line Canon Lide35 scanner, however, is probably a goner. No drivers available for it. But that didn't surprise me - even to get it working on Win7 I had to lie to the OS about what model it was.

There is one monumental tragedy, however, one that I gather Win8 users have already had to face up to. No games. No Solitaire, Free Cell, Minesweeper. Yeah, you can still get versions of them for free as "apps" from the MS Store, but you won't like them. Displays that are too large for a desktop monitor, having to establish an MS store account to get them, having to connect to the web to use them (they seem to take forever to come up), ads for other apps you might like to shell out for, etc., etc. A giant step backwards.
jGromit

Re: Windows 10 - first impressions
Posted: 30-Jul-2015 01:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Microsoft really, really doesn't want you to keep using IE11. It's not even listed in the installed applications, but it is there. What you do is launch Edge, the new browser, and navigate to a site. Then there's an option on the little tools menu at the upper right that says, "Open with Internet Explorer." I had to do some online searching to find out how to get to it.

Edit: There is an entry for IE on the All apps menu, buried under Windows Accessories.

The new Edge browser is very spare, and so far, every site I've tried has worked properly. It's not going to get me to leave Firefox and Chrome behind, but no instant disasters to report. I've briefly hit the test albums on some of the more challenging skins, ones with a lot of Javascript behind them, like Turtle, Photoblogger, and Matrix, and they all seem to be behaving themselves.
hanso

Posted: 30-Jul-2015 08:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Your Canon scanner may work fine with Vuescan, a very nice application supporting lots an lots of old scanners without current driver.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon_lide_35.html
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jul-2015 09:02   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso
hanso wrote:
Your Canon scanner may work fine with Vuescan....

I'll consider it, but it's difficult to justify spending $40 on an application to make a ten-year-old scanner work when I can purchase the newest version of the scanner for under $58. My luck, the old scanner would die a week later. ;)
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jul-2015 09:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Another Win10 glitch... For reasons known only to the Gnomes of Redmond™, the Pictures folder on my PC was tagged as a protected system folder, with read-only attributes. That meant that if I wanted to move an image file into or out of that folder, I had to confirm that I wanted to do so, invoking my admin privileges. And from an application like Picasa, I couldn't save to that folder at all. Annoying? You bet.

I fixed that by going into the properties for that folder and granting full access to all users. You would think that you could simply remove the "read-only" attribute, but no - it just keeps coming back.
hanso

Posted: 30-Jul-2015 09:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Indeed, a new scanner is cheap. And may be free of dust and scratches!

It is a nice program btw, it helps me with a nice efficient workflow to scan documents or large amount of photos. And it will also work with any new scanner, actively updated. The W10 support appeared yesterday!

I originally got it for my old HP 4C scanner, but nowadays use it with my modern all-in-1 HP thingy also, since it is much nicer to work with than the HP supplied programs.

Just a scan of a photo is easy with any software, to convert a multipage document to a pdf is what I like in this program. The price $29.95 is btw at the moment.
RobM

Posted: 31-Jul-2015 00:57   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The new Edge browser is very spare, and so far, every site I've tried has worked properly. It's not going to get me to leave Firefox and Chrome behind…
You mean that Windows updates will be gettable from a non-windows browser? My sister had a Windows machine (XP), until a year ago, and it would only get updates via IE.
jGromit

Posted: 31-Jul-2015 01:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Windows, since at least Vista, has not fetched updates via the browser. There's a Windows update task that runs in the background - that's what grabs the updates.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Aug-2015 02:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
There is one monumental tragedy, however, one that I gather Win8 users have already had to face up to. No games. No Solitaire, Free Cell, Minesweeper. Yeah, you can still get versions of them for free as "apps" from the MS Store, but you won't like them.

The Interwebs deliver! A package that lets you install the classic Win7 games on Win8 or Win10. And if you've upgraded from Win7, the machine still remembers your game stats!

http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/
jGromit

Posted: 15-Aug-2015 21:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
At the two-week mark, and I have no inclination to go back to Win7.

File Explorer has a few quirks that I find irritating - every time you open it, the window opens in a new position, even if there isn't already another File Explorer window open. Amazingly bad, and so easy for MS to fix! There are also some bugs in there that cause things to happen like multiple iterations of Documents appearing, all together - hitting F5 to refresh fixes it. But still....

I would occasionally lose my Internet connection for no apparent reason - a reboot would fix it. Turns out to be a known issue with the drivers for my old Broadcom gigabit Ethernet card. The solution that seems to be working was actually to roll the drivers back from the 2013 version to the original 2009 version. Who'd have guessed?!

Haven't used Edge much, other than to test skin changes. No addons or extensions yet, so I can't block advertisements. The worst feature, however, is its handling of a Favorites list that has folders. You simply won't believe how awful that is.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums