This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Jun-2015 04:00 Last Post By: ctwist
ChrisRodgers

Continuing development of BluPlusPlus
Posted: 08-Jan-2012 01:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
So, what does it take to continue development of this skin? I have never done anything for jAlbum, so I am not familiar with how the skins interact with the jAlbum interface (or vice versa). I have a development background and have used c, vb and a few other languages. I have done a little bit of javascript a long time ago and html. Does BluPlusPlus have all the code in files that I can see? Or are some things buried in dlls or something else not readable in plain text? And is there a jAlbum API guide? Or are there some "create a skin" tutorials that might help get BluPlusPlus compatible with jAlbum 10? If this is do-able, my first take would be to understand the flow of the code and reverse-engineer a design document. Is that do-able? Or would it be easier to learn how to create a skin from scratch?
jGromit

Re: Continuing development of BluPlusPlus
Posted: 08-Jan-2012 01:42   in response to: ChrisRodgers in response to: ChrisRodgers

A very tall order. BPP is a complex skin, most of it compiled. All of the source files are present in the skin directory, however (the .java files in the plugins directory, plus the usual files that are part of most jAlbum skins, the .htt, .bsh, and .css files).

Everything in a skin is either Java or jAlbum's own scripting language. That's why there is, in effect, only one version of jAlbum, which runs under Windows, OS/X, or Linux - there are almost no OS-specific things like .dll's (and the ones that do exist are irrelevant to skin development). Java is Java is Java.

Some links for light reading: http://jalbum.net/en/developer
ChrisRodgers

Posted: 08-Jan-2012 13:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Wow! Lots to look at!

Well, since bpp has not changed in several years, it would not hurt for it to sit there another year or more without changes.

I think I will start from the beginning with the java tutorial that starts from scratch and ends with interfacing with jAlbum. We'll see where I go from there.

@EarlyOut - with your knowledge of coding current skins, is there a huge rewrite needed for this skin to be up to current jAlbum standards? From the compatibility error message it sounds like jA has several depreciated API calls that would have to be changed in bpp to bring it current. David Ekholm said (in an old thread) that the multi-thread issue in bpp was a filter issue. Were you curious enough to look at the code to see what the issue is? Is it fixable? Or would that require a rewrite of a big portion of bpp? I REALLY would like to get multi-thread going since I have a new project to create albums out of all of my photos - which is roughly 78,000 files in 1900 folders (and subfolders).

Edited by: ChrisRodgers on 08-Jan-2012 13:06 - spelling
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jan-2012 14:40   in response to: ChrisRodgers in response to: ChrisRodgers

I'm more of a tinkerer than a real coder - I have enough trouble getting my own skins to do what I want them to do, to say nothing of taking on a large, complex orphan skin like BPP. In my own skins, I never used any of the now-deprecated API calls, so I'm not really conversant with what they are, when they would have been used, or how to rework them to meet the current API requirements. And I know less than nothing about multi-threading (i.e., what little I think I know is probably wrong).

The bottom line is that I have no idea how much effort it would take to bring BPP up to 2012. Retreating to an earlier version of jAlbum might be the only way to go if you're keen on continuing to use the skin, and if that earlier version of jAlbum cures the problems you're running into (like the breadcrumb trail issue). Switching to compatability mode should take care of the deprecated API calls, however, at least for the time being (at some stage, jAlbum will probably stop supporting them entirely).

You might try contacting the developer (there's contact info on the "About" tab), and seeing if you can persuade him to plunge into some rewriting. But his absence for the last couple of years would indicate that he's probably moved on to other things.

Anyone else willing to adopt this skin?
ctwist

Posted: 19-Jun-2015 04:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Looks like I've adopted it.

I don't expect to make major enhancements. I will just keep it compatible with the latest versions of jAlbum, HTML, Java, etc.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums