This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Feb-2015 19:57 Last Post By: jGromit
Basnz

Protected page of Album
Posted: 04-Feb-2015 07:30

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Ok, this album is reached through a password and username / log-in, is there any way to hide the url of the album as people can just copy this and enter by- passing the log-in page.

Thanks

Edited by: Basnz on 04-Feb-2015 12:02
jGromit

Re: Protected page of Album
Posted: 04-Feb-2015 13:32   in response to: Basnz in response to: Basnz

The only reliable way to password-protect an album is to put a password on the directory on the server. Anything less than that will be defeatable.
Basnz

Posted: 04-Feb-2015 19:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ok, thank you for that, have a couple of problems in this direction, when I first uploaded the album, the domain name the folder sits in was marked as web root, and I see there is a password protect button on the upload manger, but mine is not active, and to get my host to do this might be a problem, as ever time I uplift the album it makes a new copy of it and replaces the old one?, As you can see this is not my field I'm playing in... Might have to go back to an album / gallery hosted within my website as I can protect this with a HTML script, problem being this album is far more professional.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Feb-2015 19:57   in response to: Basnz in response to: Basnz

The password protect button is active only when you're uploading to a jalbum.net storage account. The jAlbum application knows how to put a password on a directory on the jalbum.net server - it doesn't know how to do that for some other server.

If you password-protect a directory on your own server, that protection stays in place. It doesn't matter whether you replace what's there or not, so updates are not a problem. The protection doesn't reside within the album pages themselves, so you could replace the album completely, and the protection would stay put. As long as you're uploading to the same directory each time, you don't need to keep "renewing" the password protection.

Protecting the album with an HTML script is useless. That script is client-side, which means that anyone who knows what he's doing can get around it.

Does your web host use cPanel? If so, there's a quick and easy icon there that will let you put a password on any directory.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums