This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 03-Dec-2015 17:48 Last Post By: jGromit
AndreWolff

How can I use the folder.png image as link to sub-folders?
Posted: 12-Aug-2014 12:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I did make an album with 4 sub-folders: http://andrewolff.jalbum.net/Harz/index.html
I cleared check-mark 'Use thumbnail for folder icon', see enclosed screen-shot.
But as you see I still get thumbnails as links to the sub-folders.

How do I get the folder.png image as link to sub-folders?

I use jAlbum 12.1.8 an Turtle Version 5.1.3 July 03, 2014
Laza

Re: How can I use the folder.png image as link to sub-folders?
Posted: 12-Aug-2014 14:33   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

It seems jAlbum still remembers the folder thumbnail selected lately with "right-click -> Use as folder thumbnail" menu. The iconPath variable should point in this case to "${resPath}/folder.png", but it is "void". This is not a skin problem, you'll get the same result in other skins too. Shall I move the thread to the "Bug reports"?
jGromit

Posted: 12-Aug-2014 14:39   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

It's an easy fix - not really a bug. When you choose Album > Settings > Advanced > General > Use thumbnail for folder icon, it marks the first image in the folder with the "heart" icon. If you then de-select that option, the "heart" icon is still there. Just open the folder, select the image with the "heart" icon, and click the "heart" icon on the toolbar, which will remove it from the image. Then when you make the album, the folder will use the generic folder icon instead of that image.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2014 15:50   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
This is not a skin problem, you'll get the same result in other skins too. Shall I move the thread to the "Bug reports"?
Your are correct, I had the same problem with the Slide Show 4 skin, therefore I did test it too with your skin. So please move it to the jAlbum Bug reports.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2014 16:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
It's an easy fix - not really a bug.

If I clear the check-mark 'Use thumbnail for folder icon' and I still see that a thumbnail is used for folder icon, it is a bug.

You might have a work-around, but than I still call it a bug, which should be solved!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 01:44   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Are you suggesting that it should de-select all the folder thumbnails if that option is unchecked? How would jAlbum know the difference between an automatically-chosen folder thumbnail and one that you chose manually? Wouldn't your suggested change make it impossible to have some folders with folder thumbnails, and some without?

I don't think you've thought this through. This sounds like a "fix" that would make the application less usable.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 08:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Are you suggesting that it should de-select all the folder thumbnails if that option is unchecked?

???

If It makes no difference whether you check or clear the check-mark 'Use thumbnail for folder icon' you better remove this check-mark!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 12:32   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
If It makes no difference whether you check or clear the check-mark 'Use thumbnail for folder icon' you better remove this check-mark!

Again, it's pretty clear that you don't really understand how this works. I think you need to do some more experimenting.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 14:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Wouldn't your suggested change make it impossible to have some folders with folder thumbnails, and some without?
Yes of course, if I clear the checkmark I expect to see only folder images as links and if I set the checkmark I expect to see only thumbnails as folder images!

Why should I use a mixture of folder images and thumbnails? That is very confusing for the viewers of an album!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 14:43   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Sigh.... Do I actually have to explain this to you? I guess I do....

Say you have not checked the album-wide option to use folder thumbnails, Use thumbnail for folder icon. Now, you right-click on the third image in a folder and choose Use as folder thumbnail. Should jAlbum ignore that? If not, and you then go back and check Use thumbnail for folder icon, should jAlbum change your choice from the third image to the first? Then, in either case, if you now uncheck Use thumbnail for folder icon, should jAlbum remove your manual choice?

In short, you're proposing an "all or nothing" choice for folder thumbnails. I don't call that a bug fix - I call that removing a feature for no good reason. Bad idea.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 16:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Please jGromit give me one good reason to use a mixture of folder images and thumbnails and show me an album older as a week with a mixture of folder images and thumbnails!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Aug-2014 16:06   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Please jGromit give me one good reason to use a mixture of folder images and thumbnails and show me an album older as a week with a mixture of folder images and thumbnails!

Translation: "I wouldn't want to do this, so no one else should be able to."
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Dec-2015 13:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
It's an easy fix - not really a bug. When you choose Album > Settings > Advanced > General > Use thumbnail for folder icon, it marks the first image in the folder with the "heart" icon. If you then de-select that option, the "heart" icon is still there. Just open the folder, select the image with the "heart" icon, and click the "heart" icon on the toolbar, which will remove it from the image.
Because I had to test it, I followed this recipe for this version of my Terschelling album. I had to do this for the 9 folder albums , because all these folders did show a thumbnail with the heart icon.. Suppose I had to do this with mt Scandinavia album which contains about 75 folders!

This is a terrible user unfriendly method to change the thumbnail icon by the folder icon and I don't understand why this bug is not solved by David and his crew!
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Dec-2015 12:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Thanks! I've updated the skin repo now.
AndreWolff

Posted: 03-Dec-2015 17:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Thanks! I've updated the skin repo now.
Do you mean with "repo" that you repaired this bug?
Can I download a new version to test it?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums