This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Jul-2018 12:14 Last Post By: jGromit
qaman

Integration between JAlbum (v9.4.1) - Dreamweaver CS3 (v9) for the Mac
Posted: 28-May-2011 21:57

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Questions from a newbie...
Background:
I am trying to use desktop JAlbum to create albums/thumbnails of pictures for a family tree website I am creating in a Mac (10.5.8). The site will contain several different albums. This website uses Dreamweaver (DW) templates as well as CSS and, if at all possible, I would like to maintain that "look" for the albums. I am using the Minimal skin.
The place to save the albums is the corresponding DW folder.

The difficulties:
1. Apparently, the settings for the application (location of albums, amount of rows and columns, etc.) can not be saved. Will I be able to save them in the paid version?

2. I created an album in the website (although with the J Album default "look", not my CSS). While trying to create a 2nd album, it always reverts to the pictures of the 1st one I created (it deletes the new pictures from the screen in the process). I tried quitting and re-launching the application, deleting previous albums, creating a new project. Nothing seems to work: it always reverts to the one I have already created.

All ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

Qaman
jGromit

Re: Integration between JAlbum (v9.4.1) - Dreamweaver CS3 (v9) for the Mac
Posted: 28-May-2011 23:03   in response to: qaman in response to: qaman

qaman wrote:
1. Apparently, the settings for the application (location of albums, amount of rows and columns, etc.) can not be saved. Will I be able to save them in the paid version?

When you pay for jAlbum, all you're paying for is hosting space. The application is the same. I'm puzzled when you say you can't save the settings. Choosing File, Save, will save all of the relevant album information to a project file (by default, called jalbum-settings.jap).

2. I created an album in the website (although with the J Album default "look", not my CSS). While trying to create a 2nd album, it always reverts to the pictures of the 1st one I created (it deletes the new pictures from the screen in the process). I tried quitting and re-launching the application, deleting previous albums, creating a new project. Nothing seems to work: it always reverts to the one I have already created.

Hard to imagine what you're doing wrong. You should be able to choose File, New Album Project, give your new project a different name, add different images, and so on.
qaman

Posted: 30-May-2011 19:22   in response to: qaman in response to: qaman

Thanks for your response. I will try your suggestions.
What about editing the CSS file so all albums have the same look as my website? Is there a tutorial for that; I have not found a simple/elegant way of doing it.

Since separate projects appear to have several files that are identical between projetcs, is there a way that all projects/albums share the same CSS file (and others) so as to make the website faster to load?

Qaman
jGromit

Posted: 30-May-2011 21:00   in response to: qaman in response to: qaman

What about editing the CSS file so all albums have the same look as my website? Is there a tutorial for that; I have not found a simple/elegant way of doing it.

This depends entirely upon what skin you're using. Remember, "skins" in jAlbum aren't just minor variations on a basic theme. Some skins produce HTML albums, some produce HTML with Javascript, some produce Flash albums. The skins are written by many different developers, who may take very different approaches. Some skins make it very easy to alter things like color schemes to match your own website. With other skins, it may not be possible at all.

Since separate projects appear to have several files that are identical between projetcs, is there a way that all projects/albums share the same CSS file (and others) so as to make the website faster to load?

No, not really. The idea of jAlbum is that it produces an album that stands alone, and is self-contained. It can be uploaded to any webhost, or viewed locally. The album isn't dependent upon any external files, it's not relying on any server-side scripting (most skins), and it's not dependent upon being placed within some specific hosting structure.

Given that jAlbum produces photo albums and that even a single image file is usually larger than any of the supporting files (like CSS or JS files), the loading time of the ancillary files is really a non-issue. Trying to save loading time by sharing supporting files is generally just "fiddling at the margins." It's the images that drive the loading time.
qaman

Posted: 31-May-2011 00:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

You state:
This depends entirely upon what skin you-re using. Remember, "skins" in jAlbum aren-t just minor variations on a basic theme. Some skins produce HTML albums, some produce HTML with Javascript, some produce Flash albums. The skins are written by many different developers, who may take very different approaches. Some skins make it very easy to alter things like color schemes to match your own website. With other skins, it may not be possible at all.

So, what skin would you recommend to customize with my own CSS and without the use of Flash?
jGromit

Posted: 31-May-2011 01:12   in response to: qaman in response to: qaman

Well, you mentioned Minimal, which gives you pretty much complete control over what the album looks like (Minimal was originally intended primarily as a framework from which to build a skin). It comes with only two styles, lineborder and plain, and you can modify the CSS files for those to your heart's content.
RobM

Posted: 31-May-2011 21:50   in response to: qaman in response to: qaman

qaman wrote

If you make a test site with a skin you like, can't you then open that site in Dreamweaver? From there you can edit the css file(s) to match your site and then copy the edited css file into a copy of the skin you used. Then you can rebuild the test site and make more changes, if required, to the copy of the skin.

EarlyOut is right in regard to loading time, but there are other reasons for doing this - such as making system wide changes to a site very easy. I do this on my site built with my Notables skin.
jGromit

Posted: 31-May-2011 22:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If you make a test site with a skin you like, can't you then open that site in Dreamweaver?

This should be done with extreme caution, of course - web-authoring packages like DW are inclined to try to "fix" things.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums