This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 0 - Pages: 1
jsallen

PositionMap: How to mark angle of view and area with Google Maps
Posted: 26-Jan-2009 16:50

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Here are instructions on how to input angle of view and area information in Google Earth, for use with the Google Maps or Google Earth template. These instructions are, I think, clearer than the instructions I've seen previously. I have a few questions, which I have placed in {curly brackets}. I hope that someone (kaya?) can answer those questions.

Tagging location, angle and area when using Google Maps

You must go to Google to install Google Earth on your computer and to obtain a Google Maps key for your Web domain.

Once you have taken these steps, open the Index page tab of JCapPM. Install the Google Maps key in the Google Maps tab under the index page tab. Change other settings as you like. Select Google Maps or Google Earth in the main settings tab under the index page tab.

Open the Fast Access and Geotag applet in JCapPM by clicking on the right/left double arrow in the toolbar at the top of the JCapPM dialog box.

Your computer must be connected to the Internet so it can access Google Earth. A fast connection is advisable. Click on the Geotag checkbox in the Fast Access dialog box. Google Earth will open.

To the right of the checkbox in the Fast Access dialog box, you will see a yellow globe. {May be another color if you have selected another in JCapPM -- I'm not sure}. This is the icon to select map location.

Let's start by tagging photos. You should be looking at a photo, not a folder, in the Fast Access and Geotag dialog box.

For a photo, you must first mark a location, then if you wish, you may identify Angle of View.

In Google Earth, place the crosshairs on the location of your photo. Then in Fast Access and Geotag, click on the icon with the checkmark and single photo in it. This will tag the photo whose thumbnail is shown in the dialog box. Or click on the Icon of the checkmark and a pile of photos to tag all the photos in the folder. (JCapPM will ask you to confirm this option, so you don't accidentally overwrite data you have created for other photos.)

A "push pin" pointer and the filename of your photo will appear in Google Earth at the location you have tagged.

It's thoughtful of Google to use push pins instead of old-fashioned thumbtacks, which can come to rest with the points facing up and painfully puncture your feet :-)

If you make a mistake about the location, just Geotag it again.

Now after entering the location, you may additionally enter Angle of View. Click on the yellow globe icon. It will change to an icon of a rectangle. (That icon is for Area, which works only for folders {?}-- see instructions below). When you click again, the icon will change to one of an angle.

Now move the crosshairs in Google Earth to the location of the end of one of the legs of the angle of view you wish to show. Click on the icon with the one photo or multiple photos, as you did to establish the location. A line will appear connecting the pointer for the location you already tagged with the new location you have moved to. This line is one of the legs of the angle.

(The length of the angle legs will scale as you zoom the Google map in and out, so be sure to make them long enough to be clearly visible at the scale at which you will display the map.)

{Feature request, though I don't know whether it's practical: angle legs that will keep the same length regardless of the map scale, just as the pointers keep the same size. Whether it is practical depends on whether the angle leg information can be stored/processed as angles , or only as locations.}

Move the crosshairs in Google Earth to the location of the end of the other leg of the angle, and click on the one photo or multiple photo icon as before to create the other leg of the angle. {What happens if you mix clicks on the multiple photo icon and multiple photo icon for the three different steps of the process? Probably, JCapPM should issue a warning. I can see where it would be useful to select different angles of view for photos taken at the same location, though.}

JCapPM only lets you create only two legs for the angle. If you have made a mistake, you can click on the second leg again without moving the crosshair to delete the first leg. Then you can create the first leg again, and if you click on it a second time, it will delete the second leg. Or click on the location/area/angle icon in Fast Access and Geotag to return to the yellow globe (location) option, and tag the location again. This will erase both legs of the angle-of-view data so you can enter it again.

If you have a number of photos taken at the same location, you can go through them tagging location only, then go through them twice more to tag each leg. This way, you can get all the locations and angles the same.

To mark an area: you must be Geotagging a folder -- this does not work for individual photos. {Actually, is this exactly true? -- I need to check. In any case, the area information is only visible when looking at a map and thumbnails for a folder}.

Adjust the height and width of the Google Earth map pane on your computer's screen to the area you wish to select. Click on the yellow globe/area/angle icon till you see the rectangle for area.

{If you have tilted the map in Google Earth, will the area become a non-rectangular quadrilateral? And what if the area is so large that the curvature of the earth becomes an issue? This could get interesting! I haven't tried this.}

Having adjusted the map pane, click on the single or multiple maps/checkbox icon. The multiple maps icon will Geotag all index all folders inside the same parent folder, but will give you a warning. {This is logical, but I'm not sure, haven't tried this.}

The rectangular area bounded by the Google Earth map pane will appear as a rectangle on the Google map on your album's index page{s}. You may review the area in Google Earth by zooming the map out so you can see the rectangle there too. You may adjust the Google Earth map pane's height and width and Geotag again to mark a different area.

Close Google Earth before you close the Fast Access/Geotag dialog box, or Google Earth will give you repeated error messages. {Can JCapPM address this issue?}

Edited by: jsallen on 27-Jan-2009 21:05

Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums