Home » jAlbum forums » Tips

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Sep-2006 08:52 Last Post By: ffischer
ffischer

Export photos from iPhoto to JAlbum
Posted: 28-Aug-2006 17:07
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Because I didn't find any satisfying solution for creating web albums of my iPhoto photos with JAlbum, I have written a small tool (iPhoto to JAlbum Exporter) for that purpose. It exports the photos from iPhoto and stores them in a way that JAlbum can process them.
The main features of the 'iPhoto to JAlbum Exporter' are:
- it exports one or more albums
  • it preserves the album hierarchy of iPhoto
  • it preserves the album and image order of iPhoto
  • it exports captions, comments and ratings from iPhoto

You need Java 1.5 (5.0) to use this software. Also, I could only test it with iPhoto 6 and OS X 10.4.7.

Download and more information at http://www.kraehe21.de/iptja/iptja.html

I would appreciate your suggestions/comments to improve the software.

@David
There is still one open issue regarding the file 'albumfiles.txt' and non-ASCII characters (like German umlauts).

These kind of entries in 'albumfiles.txt' written with the default encoding are not recognized by JAlbum. They always appear at the end on the index pages.
Entries written with "UTF-8" oder "ISO-8859-1" encoding appear twice on index pages: 1. at the correct position. 2. at the end of the list.
I also tried to encode chars as \u1234, but it didn't work either.

This only happens on OS X. Reading and writing under Windows works fine...

Is there maybe another alternative for encoding those kind of chars in 'albumfiles.txt' files?

Greetings
Felix

davidekholm

Re: Export photos from iPhoto to JAlbum
Posted: 28-Aug-2006 21:09   in response to: ffischer in response to: ffischer
Thank you for making this tool. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many Mac users! It's hard for me to fix problems I cannot reproduce myself and as I currently don't have a Mac I'm in trouble here, but I aim to get one this autumn. I can then look into this character issue. Believe me I take character issues seriously. I'm Swedish myself so I'm pretty tired of seeing our Swedish characters å ä and ö mistreated by software during the last 25 years.
alan927

Posted: 31-Aug-2006 00:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
People are starting to use it. Check out this thread:

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=10195&tstart=0

I tried to get the user to come here and thank YOU, not me, but the "thank you" ended up in that thread.
ffischer

Posted: 01-Sep-2006 12:20   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927
Thanks for the information, Alan!
bnj

Posted: 06-Sep-2006 20:17   in response to: ffischer in response to: ffischer
Hello,

Thank you for doing iPhoto to JAlbum. It looks great.
I have, however, a problem with non-ascii characters. I use french and german accents. They appear correctly in the file comments.properties that is created by iPhotoToJAlbum. At least, I can read them without a problem when I open this file with TextEdit.
But then, when I use JAlbum to create the web page, The accents appear very strangely on the webpage: they appear as other special characters that I do not know about.

I tried different combinations in the "Advanced" section of JAlbum between ISO-Latin-1 and UTF 8 as well as the "Write UTF-8" checkbox.

What do you recommend me to do?

Thank you and best regards.
ffischer

Posted: 11-Sep-2006 16:46   in response to: bnj in response to: bnj
Hi bnj,

I am aware of this problem and I tried various text-encodings, but they aren't recognized by JAlbum (just OS X, Windows works fine). Maybe David has time for looking into this issue later this year (see his post in this thread).

My "workaround" is to copy the folder generated by 'iPhotoToJAlbum' to a Windows machine and let JAlbum create the album.

Would it help you if the 'special' characters were written in a different way in the comments.properties file (ä = ae, ß = ss, ...)?

Greetings
Felix

bnj

Posted: 11-Sep-2006 17:09   in response to: ffischer in response to: ffischer
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Yes. It helps me for comments in german. That is a start.

Currently, I am trying to install the unix command "recode", which allows to change the encoding of a text file. Maybe it will help. But it is complicated: one needs to install fink and xcode. I am away from home for a week. I will give you more feedback when I return.

Best regards.
ffischer

Posted: 11-Sep-2006 17:37   in response to: bnj in response to: bnj
Hi,

is there also an alternative writing for French accents? In that case I could implement that as well (to avoid the ugly looking characters).

Felix
bnj

Posted: 12-Sep-2006 08:02   in response to: ffischer in response to: ffischer
Hello,

No, unfortunately, there is not. :-(

Thank you again!
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Sep-2006 10:33   in response to: bnj in response to: bnj
I've asked Apple for a Mac to be able to better support the Mac, but it has been a "no" from all instances. If I eventually buy a Mac I can better look into this.
ffischer

Posted: 12-Sep-2006 10:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
As it happens I just found out the reason for this issue (at least I believe so).

When reading UTF-8 text files with Java under OS X the special characters like accents or umlauts the systems expects them to be 'decomposed' -- not 'precomposed' (detailed explanation: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/).
Example:
You can write the German 'Ü' in UTF-8 as

0x00dc (precomposed: latin capital letter 'U' with diaeresis)

or

0x0055 (latin capital letter 'U')
0x0308 (combining diaeresis)

Only the latter way is accepted when reading UTF-8 files (OS X).

Copied from http://www.answers.com/topic/utf-8:
====================
The Mac OS X Operating System uses a special form of UTF-8 (sometimes referred to as UTF-8-MAC) for writing file and folder names to the filesystem. All UTF-8-MAC text is valid UTF-8 but precomposed characters are forbidden and combining diacritics must be used to replace them. This makes sorting far simpler but can be confusing for software built around the assumption that precomposed characters are the norm and combining diacritics only used to form unusual combinations. (This is an example of the NFD variant of text normalization.)
====================

Soon I will update 'iPhoto to JAlbum' so that it writes 'albumfiles.txt' in the appropriate form.

Greetings
Felix
kaya

Posted: 12-Sep-2006 17:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
If your hardware is fast enough it would be cheaper to use a Mac-emulator as for example "PearPC" which is free. You "just" need OS X setup CDs (downloaded in few minutes...).
ffischer

Posted: 15-Sep-2006 11:13   in response to: bnj in response to: bnj
I have updated the tool, so that the characters should be written correctly. However, I could only test it with German umlauts.

@bnj
Maybe you can try it when you are back.
bnj

Posted: 18-Sep-2006 19:40   in response to: ffischer in response to: ffischer
Hello,

Thank you for your work. Yes, it works now. Even for portuguese accents ;-)
I could produce pages in UTF8 as well as in Latin1, both work correctly.

Whatch the links on your webpage. I think the link "Version 0.81, Mac OS X Image" actually still links to the 0.8 version.

What can I say? Thank you :-)

Benjamin
ffischer

Posted: 19-Sep-2006 08:52   in response to: bnj in response to: bnj
Hello Benjamin,

I am glad to hear everything is working correctly now.

Thanks for mentioning the wrong link on the webpage, I have fixed it.

Greetings
Felix
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums