Because I didn't find any satisfying solution for creating web albums of my iPhoto photos with JAlbum, I have written a small tool (iPhoto to JAlbum Exporter) for that purpose. It exports the photos from iPhoto and stores them in a way that JAlbum can process them.
The main features of the 'iPhoto to JAlbum Exporter' are:
- it exports one or more albums
it preserves the album hierarchy of iPhoto
it preserves the album and image order of iPhoto
it exports captions, comments and ratings from iPhoto
You need Java 1.5 (5.0) to use this software. Also, I could only test it with iPhoto 6 and OS X 10.4.7.
I would appreciate your suggestions/comments to improve the software.
There is still one open issue regarding the file 'albumfiles.txt' and non-ASCII characters (like German umlauts).
These kind of entries in 'albumfiles.txt' written with the default encoding are not recognized by JAlbum. They always appear at the end on the index pages.
Entries written with "UTF-8" oder "ISO-8859-1" encoding appear twice on index pages: 1. at the correct position. 2. at the end of the list.
I also tried to encode chars as \u1234, but it didn't work either.
This only happens on OS X. Reading and writing under Windows works fine...
Is there maybe another alternative for encoding those kind of chars in 'albumfiles.txt' files?
Thank you for making this tool. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many Mac users! It's hard for me to fix problems I cannot reproduce myself and as I currently don't have a Mac I'm in trouble here, but I aim to get one this autumn. I can then look into this character issue. Believe me I take character issues seriously. I'm Swedish myself so I'm pretty tired of seeing our Swedish characters å ä and ö mistreated by software during the last 25 years.
Thank you for doing iPhoto to JAlbum. It looks great.
I have, however, a problem with non-ascii characters. I use french and german accents. They appear correctly in the file comments.properties that is created by iPhotoToJAlbum. At least, I can read them without a problem when I open this file with TextEdit.
But then, when I use JAlbum to create the web page, The accents appear very strangely on the webpage: they appear as other special characters that I do not know about.
I tried different combinations in the "Advanced" section of JAlbum between ISO-Latin-1 and UTF 8 as well as the "Write UTF-8" checkbox.
I am aware of this problem and I tried various text-encodings, but they aren't recognized by JAlbum (just OS X, Windows works fine). Maybe David has time for looking into this issue later this year (see his post in this thread).
My "workaround" is to copy the folder generated by 'iPhotoToJAlbum' to a Windows machine and let JAlbum create the album.
Would it help you if the 'special' characters were written in a different way in the comments.properties file (ä = ae, ß = ss, ...)?
Thank you for your answer. Yes. It helps me for comments in german. That is a start.
Currently, I am trying to install the unix command "recode", which allows to change the encoding of a text file. Maybe it will help. But it is complicated: one needs to install fink and xcode. I am away from home for a week. I will give you more feedback when I return.
As it happens I just found out the reason for this issue (at least I believe so).
When reading UTF-8 text files with Java under OS X the special characters like accents or umlauts the systems expects them to be 'decomposed' -- not 'precomposed' (detailed explanation: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/).
You can write the German 'Ü' in UTF-8 as
0x00dc (precomposed: latin capital letter 'U' with diaeresis)
0x0055 (latin capital letter 'U')
0x0308 (combining diaeresis)
Only the latter way is accepted when reading UTF-8 files (OS X).
Copied from http://www.answers.com/topic/utf-8:
The Mac OS X Operating System uses a special form of UTF-8 (sometimes referred to as UTF-8-MAC) for writing file and folder names to the filesystem. All UTF-8-MAC text is valid UTF-8 but precomposed characters are forbidden and combining diacritics must be used to replace them. This makes sorting far simpler but can be confusing for software built around the assumption that precomposed characters are the norm and combining diacritics only used to form unusual combinations. (This is an example of the NFD variant of text normalization.)
Soon I will update 'iPhoto to JAlbum' so that it writes 'albumfiles.txt' in the appropriate form.