Home » jAlbum forums » General discussion

Permlink Replies: 40 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 25-Jul-2006 04:41 Last Post By: Maddux69
loren

Windows Firewall blocks Java
Posted: 16-Jul-2006 14:21
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Each time I start JAlbum I get a warning from Windows Security Center (in XP Home) telling me that some functions of JAlbum don't function properly because the program "Java[TM]2 Platform Standard Edition binary" is blocked by the Windows Firewall.
Is Java putting me at risk in my connection with internet? Should I maintain the block or allow Java to pass through my firewall?
jGromit

Re: Windows Firewall blocks Java
Posted: 16-Jul-2006 16:17   in response to: loren in response to: loren
A messy, confusing subject. I've kept the block in place for Java, with no ill effects on the operation of JAlbum. I'm just guessing, here, but I suspect that this may need to be unblocked if you want to use the new "sharing" aspect of JAlbum, which lets you run your own little server, in effect, so that others can view your albums directly from your PC. (David, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I'm just guessing, here!)
scottDUP

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 19:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Have a look at your preferences and see if Advanced->Preferences->Check for updates is set

Scott
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 20:48   in response to: scottDUP in response to: scottDUP
The WinXP firewall only monitors incoming traffic, not outgoing, so things that automatically check for updates are not affected by it.
alan927

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 21:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attachment firewall.jpg (67,2 KB)
My installation of Java automatically updated the Windows firewall (at least I don't remember manually adding it). See the screenshot attached.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 21:31   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927
Attachment winfire.jpg (56,0 KB)
Ah, the mysterious variations in machine configurations! This is what I ended up with (Java 1.5.0_7-b03). See screenshot.
alan927

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 22:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I'm using Java 1.4.2_12.
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 22:41   in response to: loren in response to: loren
You will need to unblock javaw.exe if you wish to use the sharing function of JAlbum. A side effect of unblocking javaw.exe is that other theoretically malicious Java programs could receive traffic on listening ports too, but I don't see this as a likely risk. As always, keep your antivirus program updated.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 23:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Does this mean I guessed right? Do I get a treat? What port do I have to open up so that you can send me a chocolate?
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jul-2006 23:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
You guessed right :-) If you unblock javaw.exe you don't need to open any port in the software firewall. JAlbum will however need to open a port forwarding/portmapping in your hardware firewall/gateway if you're behind such.
loren

Posted: 17-Jul-2006 10:59   in response to: loren in response to: loren
I didn't expect so much discussion following my question, but I've learned from it. And thanks to David for the final explanation. At least now I know what to do.
alangyth

Posted: 20-Jul-2006 21:43   in response to: loren in response to: loren
I work on a Mac with OS10.4.7. I cannot album share because I am blocked out by this firewall thingy and am told to unblock javew.exe. I don't understand what this means and the unblocking instruction refers only to Windows machines. Is there any hope for me?
Maddux69

Posted: 21-Jul-2006 05:52   in response to: loren in response to: loren
I have this same problem, I am getting the warning message behind a Zone Alarms firewall. I have gone through and added access to all 3 versions of javaw.exe that I have on my system and this has not alleviated the problem? Any ideas on what could still be wrong?
alan927

Posted: 22-Jul-2006 02:03   in response to: Maddux69 in response to: Maddux69
You guys might want to start separate threads - you're not going to get much Mac or Zone Alarm help in a thread titled "Windows Firewall..."
Maddux69

Posted: 22-Jul-2006 15:46   in response to: loren in response to: loren
Hello, I am experiencing this very same problem. I installed the 6.5.1 version and attempted to get sharing to work. The first error or warning I received was that JAlbum could not automatically create a firewall rule with my linksys router. I enabled the UPNP and this problem went away. The next problem brings me to this forum, the infamous javaw.exe issue. I have searched and found that through various installed applications I have about 10-12 versions of javaw.exe running on my system. I have unblocked all of them in windows firewall and I still cannot get past this error. In an early post I also pointed out that another computer on my system is running Zone Alaram firewall, again with all versions of javaw.exe unblocked and that computer will still not allow sharing either. So I have two computer using two different firewalls, both of which will not get past this javaw.exe problem, any ideas?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums