This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 10 Nov 19, 16:33 Last Post By: JeffTucker
PaulWhiting

where to upload my completed website - three choices
Posted: 8 Nov 19, 22:24

Click to reply to this thread Reply
When I'm done tweaking my website, I first save it (lower left of screen of the jAlbum workspace, where it says "make" album). Then I go to upload my new album and I see three choices:

In my list of folders, there are two:

PaulWhitingPhotography
paulwhitingphotography

At the very top there's the third choice of where to upload, starting with the words "home4622.... " and the last part of that string is my server "1&1.com" This one shows a warning screen, cautioning against uploading anything at the root. But I've done it, with no harm done.

Which of the three places should I use? They all seem to end up with the same website. And how did I end up with the first two having essentially the same name?

Finally, my website shows version 19 as it boots up but at the very bottom of the home page is a line saying my website storage (I don't have storage at jAlbum!) It urges me to upgrade to 19! (I was on 17)

BTW, I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit.

Thank you!

Paul

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 08-Nov-2019 14:28
JeffTucker

Re: where to upload my completed website - three choices
Posted: 8 Nov 19, 22:42   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
In my list of folders, there are two:

PaulWhitingPhotography

This one is an old Turtle version of your album, from June of 2018. Connect to your webhost, and delete the whole thing.

paulwhitingphotography

This one looks like a copy of your website, but I'm not sure how your webhost organizes things, so leave it alone. Did you actually upload your current album twice?

At the very top there's the third choice of where to upload, starting with the words "home4622.... " and the last part of that string is my server "1&1.com" This one shows a warning screen, cautioning against uploading anything at the root. But I've done it, with no harm done.

The warning is aimed at people who use their website for more than just jAlbum. So, a user might have his own, non-jAlbum home page at the top level, with albums underneath that. If he uploaded the album to the root, it would overwrite his own home page.

In your case, you don't have any other website content, so uploading your album to the root is the right thing to do.

Finally, my website shows version 19 as it boots up but at the very bottom of the home page is a line saying my website storage (I don't have storage at jAlbum!)....

No need to worry about the website storage. Once upon a time, you probably did have storage, even if it was just for the 30-day trial period, so now jAlbum wants you to sign up for it. But you have your own web host, so you don't need it.

It urges me to upgrade to 19! (I was on 17)...

Not sure why it's telling you that. Your album was definitely created with jAlbum 19, so you're all set.
JeffTucker

Posted: 8 Nov 19, 22:47   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just looked at your site again. That line at the bottom, which says jAlbum website storage, is just the "credits" line. It's an advertisement for jAlbum. Since you're licensed, you can make it go away if you like. Just head for Settings > Pages > Credit links. You can either turn off the credit links completely, or choose a different message.
JeffTucker

Posted: 8 Nov 19, 23:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just sitting here thinking, without having access to your server, how can I figure out how your webhost structures things?

A quick, painless experiment. Launch jAlbum, open your project, and hit Make Album again. Then upload it again, and upload it only to the root of your hosting account. Since almost nothing will have changed, the upload should go very quickly, like less than 30 seconds.

Let me know when you've done that, and I'll be able to take a quick look and sort things out.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 00:49   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Very helpful!

In this part of your answer, addressing the first choice, where would I find this part of that entry in the webhost, the one with the capital first letters. All I'd need would be the folder name.

This one is an old Turtle version of your album, from June of 2018. Connect to your webhost, and delete the whole thing.

I think I'll keep the second one, with lower case first letters. Yes, I did upload my completed project, more than twice actually.

And I'll leave the root suggestion alone, now that I know its function.

In summary, I'll just try and delete that first one from the webhost. If you can tell me where to find it I'll be all set.

And I deleted that credit line at the bottom.

Thank you,

Paul
PaulWhiting

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 01:12   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I just did what you suggested, that I upload a freshly edited project to the root of my presence on the webhost. Apparently that will help give you a better sense of what lies behind my website.

Best regards,

Paul
JeffTucker

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 01:59   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Bingo. There are two copies of your entire album on your webhost, so you can safely delete one of them.

The one to keep is the one that's sitting at the root of your hosting account.

The one to delete is the one that's sitting in the paulwhitingphotography directory below the root of your account.

In future, upload your album only to the root of your account. If jAlbum tries to upload it a level below that, change the location - upload it to the root.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 13:54   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

(I'm just starting my day here, I'm about 7 zones west of GMT, whereas you're what, a zone or two East of GMT? Anyway, I think we're handling it well!)

Actually, don't I have three copies?

I'm a little confused, I thought that earlier you suggested deleting the site represented by the one with caps, it was an old site from my Turtle days. Now I should keep that one and deleted the site which is all lower case?

And, of course, I should keep the one at the root and always save my new versions there.

So, what's the caps site for? A backup? Should I save to that one now and then as a backup?

And most important :) how do I get to those? Where are they?! Such a dumb question!

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 09-Nov-2019 05:55

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 09-Nov-2019 05:59
JeffTucker

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 14:33   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
(I'm just starting my day here, I'm about 7 zones west of GMT, whereas you're what, a zone or two East of GMT? Anyway, I think we're handling it well!)

I'm in Connecticut, so EST. Second cup of coffee.

Actually, don't I have three copies?

Yes, at the moment you have three copies. The only one you need is the one that's at the top level - the root - of your domain

You can delete the one in paulwhitingphotography and the one in PaulWhitingPhotography. Those are now both older than the real album, the one at the top level.

How those two extra copies got there, I can't say. It didn't happen by magic - at some stage, the jAlbum uploader may have suggested that the album should be put in one of those directories. Maybe you got scared off by the warning about uploading to the root.

Doesn't matter now - just delete those two extra copies. No need for them as backups - you've got the complete album project on your PC. I trust you have some way of backing up what's on your PC. Having just one copy of the project is never safe - hard drives fail. But even after deleting the extras, you'll have two copies of the finished album - one on your PC, and one on your webhost. No need for more copies.

And most important :) how do I get to those? Where are they?!

That's easy. In jAlbum, select Tools > Upload/Manage, choose the entry for your webhost, then click Connect to connect to it. You'll then see a list of the directories on your webhost. You'll probably have to click the little "+" sign next to the root of your domain (home4622...), to show the folders under that level. Then click on paulwhitingphotography so that's it's highlighted, and click the trash can icon on the top row. When that's done, do the same for PaulWhitingPhotography. The deletions will take a bit of time because FTP does things one file at a time (it's an old, clunky standard, but it's robust and universal).
JeffTucker

Posted: 9 Nov 19, 14:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just to be clear - you don't have to delete each file in the extra album copies one at a time, manually. Just choose paulwhitingphotography and tell the upload/manage routine to delete the whole folder. But FTP will march through all the files and folders under that, deleting each one in turn. That's what takes the time.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 10 Nov 19, 01:13   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Been gone all day, just got home. but still time to attend to my website.

Connecticut? I was assuming you were in Sweden! I'm in Billings, MT.

Anyhow, deleted those two copies, all went smoothly.

More later perhaps, but first want to thank you again. You were very clear!

Best,

Paul
PaulWhiting

Posted: 10 Nov 19, 02:11   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PS: Well, I did delete those two albums, but when I finished, closed down. Then I booted up to see how it looked with a fresh start.. the album "PaulWhitingPhotography" showed up as the sole entry of albums. It contained all my folders, as it should, and all was well. But in that list of folders ready for upload, "paulwhitingphotography" appeared again, but it was empty.

All seems a bit weird. Maybe I'm being too picky or I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Paul
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Nov 19, 02:42   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
Connecticut? I was assuming you were in Sweden!

I don't work for jAlbum. In fact, I haven't done a day of paid labor in over 20 years. I'm just a retired IT guy with a camera. See https://jefftucker.org/. Next stop, the Cyclades in May.

I'm in Billings, MT.

Been there, about 25 years ago, on business. Just an overnight before hopping into the rental car and heading for glamorous Poplar, MT. I was doing some consulting work for the B.I.A. I've been to some truly remote places.
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Nov 19, 02:45   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
But in that list of folders ready for upload, "paulwhitingphotography" appeared again, but it was empty.

As long as it's empty, it's not doing any harm. But I can't, for the life of me, figure out where it's coming from. There's nothing in your album project that would generate it. Maybe it's just hanging around from some previous misadventure.

Launch jAlbum, open that album project, then open the output directory - Tools, Open directories, Output directory. If you see paulwhitingphotography sitting there, delete it. Now make the album again. If it reappears, I'm truly mystified!
PaulWhiting

Posted: 10 Nov 19, 13:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I did as you suggested, and "paulwhitingphotography" did not appear in the Output Directory listing.

Well, prepared to be mystified again! I did the "make", went to upload it and my project once again included "paulwhitingphotography". I did not actually upload it, so I closed it out, did another "make", went to upload it and this time the the folders all appeared and this time "paulwhitingphotography" was NOT listed. Did this a couple times and each time "paulwhitingphotography" was never listed among the other folders ready for upload.

I'm mystified too. Well, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 10-Nov-2019 05:30
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums