This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Aug-2019 06:44 Last Post By: PeterGibb
PeterGibb

Upload routine targets incorrect directory
Posted: 12-Aug-2019 10:57

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment VolksWorld2011.png (264,1 KB)
Hello,

I just thought I would post this as it has happened a few times now, not always,
but if you arn't on the case its possible to overwrite another album.

I just amended an album that already exists in my site, upon uploading it from within jAlbum
the target destination directory jAlbum selected was incorrect.

This has happened a few times now, any thoughts... jAlbum has had a pretty well bombproof and utterly reliable upload routine for years, but things seem to have changed somehow.

This was my first use of jAlbum today.

I attach a screen shot from the upload process, hopefully it shows I have been editing my album VolksWorld2011 and that the selected jAlbum upload target is somewhere completely different.

Thanks,
Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Re: Upload routine targets incorrect directory
Posted: 12-Aug-2019 16:03   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Always tough to reconstruct this kind of thing, but I've encountered similar behavior, and I believe I understand what triggers it.

When you upload an album, jAlbum remembers the target directory and saves it in the project file, as a variable called remoteDirectory.

If you rename the project, however, that remembered location doesn't get changed - jAlbum assumes that you'll be uploading to the same location. It can't really guess what your intentions are.

The same thing happens if you copy a project - the target location is still lurking in there from the project that you copied - again, jAlbum can't really guess what you intend to do.

In both cases, remoteDirectory doesn't get changed until you upload this new project and change the location.

If you import the settings from an existing project, rather than copying the whole thing, you don't run into the same problem - jAlbum is smart enough to know that it shouldn't import that particular piece of information.
PeterGibb

Posted: 12-Aug-2019 17:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

I can assure you I never ever rename my projects, any projects, or copy them anywhere else, I do however import the settings from existing album projects when the need arises,
and its a very useful tool to have.

I always let jAlbum do what it has to do, all the time, I don't tweak or interfere with anything, the result being that jAlbum has been utterly rock solid for many many years.

In the case of this album, I fired up JAlbum, navigated to and opened the album, removed a few photos and then did a remake prior to uploading.

The VolksWorld2011 album has existed in the same place/directory in my website since jAlbum created it 8 years ago, as have all my albums, nothings changed, it has been looked at and edited in the way of some colour changes or other since, but otherwise is basically the same.

After the remake and upon uploading, the destination directory was shown to be incorrect, this target error has been happening a few times recently, which is unusual to say the least and I just wondered if something may have been changed in recent jAlbum releases.

I shall keep my eye out for it happening again

Many Thanks

Regards, Peter

Edited by: PeterGibb on 12-Aug-2019 16:22
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Aug-2019 15:09   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

What does the "remoteDirectory" property of your project file read? Is it correct? If not, open the project, open the upload window, select the right folder, upload (for safety), then save the project again.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Aug-2019 22:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

The question was meant to PeterGibb or anyone who can reproduce this behavior at will
PeterGibb

Posted: 14-Aug-2019 22:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Heavens, I am not able to reproduce it at will, I will try to find the project file
but havent a clue where it is...

So far I have edited a couple of albums and the destination targets have been correct.

This problem is very random so I am keeping an eye out for it every time I upload something.

When it happens I will see if I can find the project file and copy it before I upload.

I apologise if this is vague, but I am not very techy with jAlbum as I just leave it alone and get on with using it.

Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 14-Aug-2019 22:53   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
When it happens I will see if I can find the project file and copy it before I upload.

Yes, if you see it again, cancel the upload, then before doing anything else, open the image directory - Tools, Open directories, Image directory. Copy jalbum-settings.jap and stash it somewhere out of the line of fire. You can then go back into the project, fix the upload location, and save the project on exit.

You can open that project file with a simple text editor, and search for a line that starts with remoteDirectory=. Of course, if it's the wrong target location, it'll be pretty tough to figure out how it got loused up!
RobM

Posted: 14-Aug-2019 23:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
Of course, if it's the wrong target location, it'll be pretty tough to figure out how it got loused up!
The original error indicated that the upload path was pointing to an album previously updated too - about a day earlier. So it might be of use if the list of recent projects is also noted. That file is called recent-projects.txt and can be found via Menu/Tools/Open Directories/Configuration directory.
PeterGibb

Posted: 15-Aug-2019 06:44   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Okeydoke,

Thanks for those pieces of information, that helps a lot and I shall do that,

Hopefully it will happen again, am sure it will but have no idea when,
my little site is up and running well now and its mainly updating things within albums
and maintenance I have been doing meaning I am not so I am not in there all the time.

I shall post here when I have something

Kind Regards, Peter
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums