This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 7 May 19, 17:56 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Example skin for skin using only Javascript
Posted: 7 May 19, 11:41

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I like to investigate the possibility to make a new skin which uses only Javascript both for the scripting and the User Interface. I thought that it was possible to make such a skin.

However I don't like to start from scratch, but try to learn from an existing skin using only Javascript. So I tried Minimal_JSON file MinimalJSON-11174439.jaskin but that is useless for me: the settings button shows the hint 'Current skin doesn't have setting' and if you make an album nothing is displayed if you open that album in Google Chrome.

So my question is: what is a good example skin to learn making a skin with Javascript?
davidekholm

Re: Example skin for skin using only Javascript
Posted: 7 May 19, 12:14   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Do you mean you'd like a html based skin UI? It's possible but I don't know of any skin that uses it. Another alternative to BeanShell or Java for the skin UI is JavaFX, possibly with a fxml file declaring the UI. With that setup you use SceneBuilder from Gluon to visually make the UI (no coding), however I've found it most efficient to simply provide a compiled Java based UI using NetBeans.
AndreWolff

Posted: 7 May 19, 12:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Do you mean you'd like a html based skin UI?
Yes
It's possible but I don't know of any skin that uses it. Another alternative to BeanShell or Java for the skin UI is JavaFX, possibly with a fxml file declaring the UI. With that setup you use SceneBuilder from Gluon to visually make the UI (no coding), however I've found it most efficient to simply provide a compiled Java based UI using NetBeans.
I like to use only one language, javascript (I don't like JAVA!). So I understand this is not possible.
RobM

Posted: 7 May 19, 12:40   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff

Posted: 7 May 19, 13:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks!

MinimalWeb is what I was looking for, but things like color picker does not work.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 07-May-2019 14:14
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 19, 13:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Do you mean you'd like a html based skin UI? It's possible but I don't know of any skin that uses it.

Almost spectacularly clunky. The kiss of death, however, is that the new "settings searcher" doesn't work with such a UI.
RobM

Posted: 7 May 19, 14:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Do you mean you'd like a html based skin UI? It's possible but I don't know of any skin that uses it.

Almost spectacularly clunky. The kiss of death, however, is that the new "settings searcher" doesn't work with such a UI.

For the GUI an IDE like Netbeans is much the better way to go, with several skins including the source code too it is easier to get going on your own skins.
davidekholm

Posted: 7 May 19, 16:28   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Thanks!

MinimalWeb is what I was looking for, but things like color picker does not work.

What OS? It works when I test it on my Mac here, still I actually recommend using a full blown Java UI. It's fast and renders in a way that blends with jAlbum's other UI and provides feature search and most of all, it scales well as your number of settings grow. Java's type checking and early binding will help you ensure that most errors are caught at compile time instead of run time. As the size of your UI grows, this aspect becomes the dominant advantage of using Java.
AndreWolff

Posted: 7 May 19, 16:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
What OS?
Windows 10
It works when I test it on my Mac here, still I actually recommend using a full blown Java UI. It's fast and renders in a way that blends with jAlbum's other UI and provides feature search and most of all, it scales well as your number of settings grow. Java's type checking and early binding will help you ensure that most errors are caught at compile time instead of run time. As the size of your UI grows, this aspect becomes the dominant advantage of using Java.
Well, if Java is the only practically way, why are you offering Javascript?

I understand that Netbeans is abandonware, is there another solution, for instance Visual Studio Code?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 07-May-2019 16:35
RobM

Posted: 7 May 19, 16:51   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
It is used in skins in other places, like init.js instead of init.bsh.
I understand that Netbeans is abandonware, is there another solution, for instance Visual Studio Code?
NetBeans is alive and well, see https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/
davidekholm

Posted: 7 May 19, 16:52   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
What OS?
Windows 10

Ok. Works here. Hit "Reload" on the browser one more time to ensure that the internal browser re-reads the css.

It's not the only practical way. There are huge software components written in JavaScript too. I'm just giving my recommendation. At the end of the day it's the skin developer's choice.

I understand that Netbeans is no longer supported, is there another solution, for instance Visual Code?

?? What makes you think that? NetBeans is no longer Oracle's project. It's owned by Apache these days but it's still one of the leading IDEs. A popular alternative would be IntelliJ IDEA.
AndreWolff

Posted: 7 May 19, 17:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
?? What makes you think that?
This message, but I am not sure what is meant there.
davidekholm

Posted: 7 May 19, 17:12   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
?? What makes you think that?
This message, but I am not sure what is meant there.

In what way does that thread involve the fate of Netbeans?
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 19, 17:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
NetBeans is alive and well, see https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/

It's BeanShell that's pretty much abandonware. Just one more reason to get away from an interpreted onload.bsh.

Java and NetBeans are still very much alive, with new versions coming out regularly (though I wish the NetBeans folks would provide standard installers, at least for Windows and macOS).
AndreWolff

Posted: 7 May 19, 17:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
In what way does that thread involve the fate of Netbeans?
My fault, all beans are equel for me.

But I understand I have to learn Netbeans. So my next quesrion is:
Which compiled UI skin has published too the source code, which I can use as a starting point?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums