This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Dec-2018 15:05 Last Post By: jGromit
razzle

Gromit: Logo Position
Posted: 16-Dec-2018 11:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I have an album I did some time ago using the Matrix skin where I have the logo image to the left of the title text. I also have a box around the title text. (see http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/432426) Since the Matrix skin now is a legacy skin and I wanted to make a few changes to the album I thought I would use the Gromit skin instead. I can't figure out how to put the logo image to the left of the title with Gromit and have a box around the title. Is this possible or should I stay with Matrix?

Regards,
Bob
jGromit

Re: Logo Position
Posted: 16-Dec-2018 13:59   in response to: razzle in response to: razzle

If you like the look of your Matrix album, and are truly not concerned about being able to view it on anything smaller than, say, a full-sized iPad, there's no reason to leave Matrix behind. The skin's not going away, and everything still works, other than the limitations I've noted.

You can put a border around the title bar in Gromit - if you're using a theme image, see Gromit > Layout > All Pages & Index Page > Theme Image Borders. If you're not using a theme image, you can head for Gromit > Code > CSS and add:
.gr-itstd {border: 1px solid black;}
Choose your own width and color, of course. I should probably add settings for that - you might also want a box-shadow on it, to match the thumbnails, which starts getting tricky if you're inserting your own CSS.

The logo is the real problem. One item that's been on my "things to consider" list for Gromit is, "more flexible logo positioning." But I've never figured out how to do it. I can sum up the reason in one word: navigation. In Matrix, all the navigation is below the title bar - home, up, info page, next, previous. But in Gromit (and most of my newer skins), the navigation is in the title bar, to save screen real estate. A logo can't be in the same place as the nav icons. It gets even messier when you try to adapt to a small display, like an iPad Mini or a smartphone. There's just no place to put all that material. There are too many things to juggle.

In my newer skins, I haven't allowed for logo insertion at all, because I just can't envision a good way to support them. Probably just lack of imagination on my part, but there it is.

Last but not least, Matrix-to-Gromit is not really the logical progression. The former is a "lightbox" skin, while the latter is a "separate slide pages" skin. Very different animals. Separate slide pages are good for SEO, but they're unusable for things like image-to-image transitions, automated slideshows, and background music. They also crank out 50% more files that have to be uploaded (slides, thumbs, and an HTML page for each image).

For my own "travel" site, I went from Matrix to Neptune. For my family site, I went from Matrix to Saturn to Pluto. There, mobile access is important - at least one family in the "immediate family" category doesn't even own a desktop computer. These are the people whose children, when I pulled out a CD to put on some music, said, "What's that?" ;)
razzle

Posted: 17-Dec-2018 00:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks very much for your quick and comprehensive response Jeff. Given that I want to be able to view the album on smartphones as well as computers I will give your Pluto skin a go. At the end of the day having a photo logo is not critical. I just liked the look of the Matrix album with the logo.

I originally produced this album in 2005 with the BluPlusPlus skin when I first started using jAlbum. Things have certainly changed over the years and I hear you with your comment about music CD's.

I have made a number of albums over the years and thought I should update some of them with the recent version of jAlbum and skins.

Regards,

Bob
jGromit

Posted: 17-Dec-2018 00:55   in response to: razzle in response to: razzle

Pluto is a tough choice for historical material, simply because it needs a very large image to use as the theme image. When you're dealing with scanned stuff, you usually don't have the resolution necessary to produce a decent-looking theme image. On my family site, for example, I use a recent shot as the theme image at the top level, but don't use one at all on the folders, since many of the folders have only old material (the "Pre-1940" folder, for example, would be quite a challenge!).

The overlooked skin is Mercury. Like Gromit, it's a "slide page" skin, but one of the results of that is that it has one of the most robust swipe-enabled slide pages out there. You can even swipe on videos. I worked hard on that one to maximize the image display on phones, moreso than in any of the other skins.

The demo's only scratch the surface, alas: https://jgromit.com/
razzle

Posted: 17-Dec-2018 03:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Once again Jeff, thanks for your advice. I have updated my album using Mercury and am very happy with the result. I have to admit I did struggle a bit with the large theme image in Pluto.

I will no longer overlook your Mercury skin. :-) I applaud you and the others for the work you put in making these skins for people like me to use. Have a great Christmas.

Cheers,

Bob
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 15:05   in response to: razzle in response to: razzle

The latest Gromit release allows for borders on the title bar even when there's no theme image. Just for the record....
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums