This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Dec-2018 19:43 Last Post By: jGromit
arne-T

Gromit: Breadcrumbd trail without home button?
Posted: 10-Dec-2018 00:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is it possible to eliminate the home button in the theme image while still having a breadcrumb trail leading back to the home page?
Arne
www.thesen.org
jGromit

Gromit: Re: Breadcrumbd trail without home button?
Posted: 10-Dec-2018 00:28   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T
Helpful
Yes. Takes a bit of devious thinking. Happily, that's my strong suit. ;)

First, go to Album > Settings > Pages > Link to homepage, and delete the contents of Address (URL) (actually, mark and copy it, then delete it). Now go to Gromit > Layout > Breadcrumbs > Extra breadcrumb link and enter http://www.thesen.org/Arne_Family_Albums in the first box (you can just paste what you removed from the link to hompage box). For the text, enter Arne's Family Albums.

I think that will get you where you want to be.
arne-T

Posted: 10-Dec-2018 01:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, that got rid of the button. But id did not free up the real estate, also it did not link back to www.thesen.org. I guess I can live with that.

On a different issue, I really appreciate the work you are doing, and I have looked for a way to make a contribution, but you don't seem to have a link for this. Why not? or am I missing something.

Arne
jGromit

Posted: 10-Dec-2018 01:59   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

arne-T wrote:
Yes, that got rid of the button. But id did not free up the real estate, also it did not link back to www.thesen.org. I guess I can live with that.

First, a threshold question. I see that you have created a bunch of totally separate albums, e.g., one for Arne, one for Anita, and so on. Is there some reason you've set things up this way? Normally, each of these would each simply be a folder with the Arne Family Album, and the skin would provide the needed navigation - an "up" arrow from Arne that takes the visitor back to the top, and so on.

And this leads to the reason this has not "freed up" real estate - the skin is leaving a spot for an "up" icon. When it's building the album from the top down, it has no idea whether there will be folders or not, so it has no choice but to leave a spot for the navigation. If the titles were centered, you'd never notice it, but since you've insisted upon left-justifying everything, that reserved space isn't avoidable. You've inserted forced "break" characters into the title, apparently to steer clear of the navigation icons.

In short, you're engaged in a desparate fight against the intended page design of the skin, so you end up chasing your tail.

In any event, you can do it this way if you insist. Add another external link in the breadcrumbs that takes the visitor to the root of your domain. Then kill off all of the navigation icons by going to Gromit > Code > CSS and entering
.gr-navleft, .gr-navright {display:none;}
Then you can remove the forced line breaks before your titles, if you want to move the text back to the top. Just be forewarned that if you subsequently create folders within these albums, there will be no navigation icons whatsoever on the index pages.

On a different issue, I really appreciate the work you are doing, and I have looked for a way to make a contribution, but you don't seem to have a link for this. Why not? or am I missing something.

Visit https://jgromit.com/gromit/. But don't feel obligated to click "Donate" - almost no one else ever does.
arne-T

Posted: 10-Dec-2018 19:30   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

Yes, splitting a page into independent sub pages rather than keeping them as sub-directories may not have been one of my better ideas. I did it because of the very long time required by my old computer to process a page with hundreds of images and teens of sub files. However it also made things more complicated as all of these pages needed to be independently process to implement a simple glo0bal change. Now I have a top of the line Dell monster, so computing power is not an issue, and I am going back to real sub-directories.

The one thing I am struggling with now is that folder thumbnails and file thumbnails are of unequal sizes. Why?

Arne
jGromit

Posted: 10-Dec-2018 19:43   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

Yes, getting a new PC can be an eye-opener. As long as no new image or video processing is involved, I'm finding that my 5000-object, 50-folder family album processes in about 12 seconds.

arne-T wrote:
The one thing I am struggling with now is that folder thumbnails and file thumbnails are of unequal sizes. Why?

See the Folders box on this page: https://jgromit.com/gromit/man/gromit_layout_thumbnails.html.

Personally, I like larger thumbs for the folders. It tells the visitor that this isn't just an image, but rather something more important, a portal to a bunch more wonderfulness. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums