This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Dec-2018 05:30 Last Post By: parametric
parametric

Just Upgraded from 12.7.2 Java 1.8 32bit to 17 Java 11 64 bit . . . .
Posted: 06-Dec-2018 03:35

Click to reply to this thread Reply
(Running Windows10 Pro x64)

My Album was made with the earlier JAlbum. (12.7.2)

Is there anything I need to be aware of before initiating <Make Album>

in version 17 (which I presume I must do?

Updating Turtle Skin, before (or after) Making the Album, for instance . . .?

Thanks

Album is here: https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/gallery/
jGromit

Re: Just Upgraded from 12.7.2 Java 1.8 32bit to 17 Java 11 64 bit . . . .
Posted: 06-Dec-2018 03:53   in response to: parametric in response to: parametric

Definitely update the skin, but do it with jAlbum not running. Go to https://jalbum.net/skins/skin/Turtle/ and click Install skin. Once it's downloaded, double-click the Turtle.jaskin file on your PC to install it. Then you can launch jAlbum and open your project.

When making the album, make absolutely sure that you have not told jAlbum to process only updated subdirectories. It needs to process all of the subdirectories. There's no need to force it to reprocess all the images - as long as you haven't done something like changing the image bounds, the images will be fine. In either case, just click Make Album and let jAlbum figure out what needs to be done.

That's a lot of versions to be jumping over, though, so there may be some surprises I haven't thought about.

ETA: I see that your current album was made with Turtle 5.6.4, and the current version is 5.6.6, so that shouldn't present any problems. The jAlbum core update won't make much difference in how the album is generated, though it will probably be a lot faster!
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 03:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Somewhat off-topic, but there appears to be an interesting bug in the Turtle background music player controls. It shows up if you try to pause/unpause the music. I'll have to tinker with it a bit, but that may be something to bring up in the Turtle forum section.

ETA: Confirmed that it's a skin problem, and posted a report about it in the Turtle section.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 04:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One more thought. Jumping over that many jAlbum versions also means that it's using a much newer version of the Java image processor. The first time you make the album, it may actually need to reprocess all the images, so don't be surprised if the first build takes a little time, followed by an equally long upload (since all of the image files will be "new").
parametric

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 14:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Many Thanks JG for your prompt - and DETAILED answers!

Being retired, time is not an issue and I'm only too happy to let JAlbum reprocess the whole album as it desires.

All but the most recent content predates the digital age and are typically "snapshots" taken with rudimentary cameras.

Paper prints were scanned, as were 35mm and 6 x 6 trannies - and negs. where available . . .

Most all were passed through "The Gimp" to get the best out of them - so the Album represents a fair amount of "work" in its preparation.

I've been very happy with JAlbum - its a great little application!

I DO have another question regarding the ONE panorama pic. I have.

But I'll ask in a new thread to keep things tidy . . .

Many Thanks

parametric
parametric

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 14:02   in response to: parametric in response to: parametric

Detailed and precise guidance on how to proceed - Thanks JGrommit
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 14:30   in response to: parametric in response to: parametric

parametric wrote:
All but the most recent content predates the digital age and are typically "snapshots" taken with rudimentary cameras.

Paper prints were scanned, as were 35mm and 6 x 6 trannies - and negs. where available . . .

Most all were passed through "The Gimp" to get the best out of them - so the Album represents a fair amount of "work" in its preparation.

Yes, I've got a website of family stuff where a lot of the pre-digital raw material is pretty grubby. And without a very high-end scanner, dealing with old Kodachromes is an exercise in frustration. The prints scan better, but you certainly can't push them very far.

Some of the oldest stuff turns out to be the best. Instead of being shot with someone's Brownie, the late-19th Century photos were professional studio products, so they're sharp and clear!
parametric

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 16:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment 21.jpg (3.8 MB)
Indeed so. Getting the old stuff into a suitable form can be trying.

I held on to my Scanner - an Epson Perfection 1200 Photo - for this reason.

It can (also) scan negs and trannies up to 4" x 5" . . . .

Annoyingly, Epson stopped Driver support ~ Vista, so I bought the VueScan software - (which I recommend), and it worked perfectly with Win7 Pro and later Win10 Pro . . .

Not really high-end, but does the job . . . .

My grandfather was keen photographer, did his own D&P (as you did back then) . . . I have boxes of his glass plates . . .

He took this with his 1/4-Plate Sanderson . . . .

Conspicuously "Posed", the Newspaper reports on the Funeral of General Booth the previous day, (you can READ it on the original neg) which suggests THIS was taken the following day - August 30th, 1912 . . . . Other items of interest are the Lemonade bottle with the captive "marble" closure, The BassĀ® Triangle on the beer bottle (Registered Trade Mark No 000001 here in the UK). My Father is looking away from the camera, next to his brother, with their sister in the Pram . . . and my Grandmother (imagine getting dressed up like that, just for a picnic?)

ATB

parametric
jGromit

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 17:10   in response to: parametric in response to: parametric

Attachment fam008.jpg (302.9 KB)
I love the ancient stuff. Attached, my grandfather, then 27 years old and working as a chaffeur in NYC. Great outfit, and a fine vehicle - I believe it's a 1915 Packard 3-38 limousine.
parametric

Posted: 08-Dec-2018 05:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That's one helluva motor car! Nice quality pic too . . .

There's just something about monochrome somehow?

Thing is, those old plates were so s l o w that the grain was incredibly fine

too, and what with the cameras being bulky, you HAD to use a tripod,

which is ALL good news . . . .

I was a Pro Photographer for ~15 years, way back. Scientific&Technical . .

I learned it all at College from the ground up. It was around 1971, and I

turned up on the first day with my Nikon F Photomic Ftn round my neck,

and the lecturer said to me "You won't be seeing those 'til the 2nd Year".

It was true.

The first pic I took there was to copy a line drawing, using Line Film.

I used a Gandolfi brass-bound WOODEN Camera (4" x 5" format)

I quit Photography in '91 so largely avoided the jump to digital . . . .

Instead, I went into a University Music department, supporting the

recording studios and composition suites there, 'til made redundant in

2009 . . .

Happy Days . . .

parametric
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums