Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 77 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Dec-2018 11:28 Last Post By: davidekholm
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 25-Nov-2018 19:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
These are advanced settings for a purpose.
I have no idea what you mean by this and what you like to say!
Where are these advanced settings?

And I miss your comment to my earlier report about the combo boxes which are too small!
jGromit

Posted: 25-Nov-2018 19:54   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attachment ss004700.png (19.5 KB)
AndreWolff wrote:
In the new version is less room in combo boxes....

Can't duplicate. Tried Win10 and macOS 10.1.14. Tried all the "look and feel" choices. Tried different settings under Tools, Preferences, General, Font size. Even tried telling Windows to use 150% for font sizes. Works correctly with every combination.

Screenshot from jAlbum 17.1b6
jGromit

Posted: 25-Nov-2018 19:57   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attachment ss004701.png (19.4 KB)
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
These are advanced settings for a purpose.
I have no idea what you mean by this and what you like to say!
Where are these advanced settings?

See screenshot. The settings on the Advanced tab are for users who know what they're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, don't change them. And certainly don't post "bug reports" when you have changed an advanced setting without knowing what it's for. You're wasting everyone else's time.
AndreWolff

Posted: 25-Nov-2018 20:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
We should perhaps add a "reset to defaults" setting that can help sorting out these kinds of issues quickly.
I strongly support that idea!
AndreWolff

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 13:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Can't duplicate. Tried Win10 and macOS 10.1.14. Tried all the "look and feel" choices. Tried different settings under Tools, Preferences, General, Font size. Even tried telling Windows to use 150% for font sizes. Works correctly with every combination.
I think you did not try to use font-sizes<11 with Windows 10.

I see this on my Windows 10 systeem if I use font-size 9 or 10, with 11 and higher it is OK.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 13:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The settings on the Advanced tab are for users who know what they're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, don't change them. And certainly don't post "bug reports" when you have changed an advanced setting without knowing what it's for. You're wasting everyone else's time.

I have 12 years experience with jAlbum and did develop 4 skins, so I know what I am doing.

But don't worry I stopped testing and switched back to version 17.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 13:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
With regards to the include/exclude bug. I believe you, but please don't keep iterating it unless you've figured out how to reproduce it on another computer. We've tried to reproduce it several times but fail to do so.
I have only one computer, so I can't figure out how to reproduce it on another computer.

But don't worry, I stopped testing and switched back to version 17, because you don't comment to my contributions, like the wrong text in the combo boxes and my feature requests.

Only feature requests of your big friend are immediately implemented!
jGromit

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 14:25   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
I see this on my Windows 10 systeem if I use font-size 9 or 10, with 11 and higher it is OK.

Ah, yes, I can finally duplicate this. It never occurred to me to go smaller, since the symptom was text over-filling its box. No problem on a Mac - it's only on Windows.

David, I think the cure for this is to set the minimum font size to 11. Not worth any more effort than that.

ETA: And it happens only with the system default look-and-feel. All of the others are fine.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 14:29   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
I have 12 years experience with jAlbum and did develop 4 skins, so I know what I am doing.

And yet, you unchecked Process subdirectories (why?) and were then puzzled about why jAlbum wasn't processing subdirectories. So puzzled, in fact, that you thought it was a bug. This is like someone removing the wheels from his car, then calling the auto company and expecting a repair under warranty, because the car won't go.

But don't worry I stopped testing and switched back to version 17.

Good. You should just stick with that.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Nov-2018 14:33   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Only feature requests of your big friend are immediately implemented!

Bullshit. I've got over a dozen on my "wish list," some of them many years old.

David implements the feature requests that he thinks are good ideas, no matter where they come from.
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Nov-2018 21:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
The beta is now updated to release candidate 1. I recommend updating via the installer.
Changes:
  • Adapted colors for Mac OS X Mojave
  • Fixed crash bug upon opening preview window on Mac OS X Mojave
  • Now allows preview browser to be operated while building album
  • Fixed bug causing loss of skin project settings if loading skin while another skin is still loading
  • Ensured that the text field specific undo stack is cleared when the user is about to edit titles, comments or keywords. Users can now safely hit CTRL/CMD+Z to undo without going past initial value
  • Removed "Local Flash preview" preference
  • Moved "Video support" to Preferences->Advanced
  • Removed Turtle and Base skins (non responsive). Tiger replaces Turtle. Just get Turtle from our site if you still need it
  • Added new Projector skin
  • Updated Korean translations for ZigZag, Mr.Burn5 and Responsive

Pending issue:
  • Preview browser can occasionally hang while being operated on OS X Mojave. This is likely a bug in OS X Mojave or the underlying Java. Please see if you're able to provoke the preview browser to hang while clicking around in albums via it.

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Other: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip
AndreWolff

Posted: 29-Nov-2018 14:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I can confirm that both the Ctrl-Z and ComboBox problem have been solved.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Nov-2018 14:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attachment font9.png (18.0 KB)
Attachment font10.png (18.5 KB)
AndreWolff wrote:
I can confirm that [the] ComboBox problem [has] been solved.

No, it hasn't. But it now afflicts only the system standard look-and-feel on Windows, and only when the font size is set to 9. Any other settings, and there's no issue.

David - make the minimum font size 10. ;)
AndreWolff

Posted: 29-Nov-2018 15:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
You are correct, I did not restart the program.

Font-size 9 and 10 do give a wrongly display with combo boxes, 11 is OK

I think jAlbum should give a hint if setting a setting requires a restart of the program.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Nov-2018 15:14   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
I think jAlbum should give a hint if setting a setting requires a restart of the program.

It does. When you change the font size, the font size doesn't immediately change. That's more than a hint. "Hmmm... I wonder why the font size hasn't actually changed? Gee, maybe I should restart the application."

And given that a user probably sets the font size once, if ever, and never touches the setting again, do you seriously think that there should be extra coding in the application to address this? Talk about bloatware....
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums