Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.



Permlink Replies: 77 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Dec-2018 11:28 Last Post By: davidekholm
jGromit

Posts: 7,264
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 18-Nov-2018 16:39   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
And I could have a button.inc file in the root directory and in some folders with a different contents of buttons.inc

OK, then:
<ja:include page="${imageDirectory}/buttons.inc" />


It is better that this is corrected once in the jAlbum program instead that it should be corrected in all skins using .inc-files.

I agree that if you give it a relative path, like just buttons.inc, it should look in the current image directory, then in the root of the skin directory, then finally in the common includes directory. But if you code it explicitly, telling it to look only in the current image directory, you never have to rely on that cascade of searches.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,712
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 18-Nov-2018 19:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I agree that if you give it a relative path, like just buttons.inc, it should look in the current image directory, then in the root of the skin directory, then finally in the common includes directory.
That is not happening in version 17 and it should not happen.

Once again:

A new version should be compatibel with the previous version.

Discussion closed.
jGromit

Posts: 7,264
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 18-Nov-2018 21:36   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
I was agreeing with you, but just showing you how to avoid running into the problem entirely.

WTF is wrong with you?
davidekholm

Posts: 3,553
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Nov-2018 19:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I was agreeing with you, but just showing you how to avoid running into the problem entirely.

WTF is wrong with you?


Thanks for spotting this change in behavior André! Let's call it a bug as it goes against the specification. I now see what caused it and will try to fix it.

Yes. The two of you are actually in agreeance. This is a typical case of "I don't hear what you say, I hear what my perception of you says. You have a history of heated arguing and that made André defensive and wanting to defend a standpoint both of you, and me, actually share :-). This is so common. Guess why politicians can't ever agree with each other even though they eventually execute the same politics? :-D
jGromit

Posts: 7,264
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Nov-2018 20:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Using a relative path for an include file is a bit like using the ${title} variable - you're never quite sure what you're going to get, because there's a cascade of possibilities. I'm guilty of it, as well, but I get away with it because I'm always going after something in the skin directory, and it always has a name that's not likely to cause a collision. It would be very odd, indeed, to find includes/objVars.inc in an image directory, or in the jAlbum program directory.

But upon reflection, the safer thing to do is always to use an absolute link, like ${skindirectory}/includes/objVars.inc. No surprises that way.
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Nov-2018 22:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Not sure if it is because Groovy 3 is in beta, but
import groovy.swing.SwingBuilder
fails. I was having a quick look at a simple interface for external tools, rather than a full-blown skin GUI.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,553
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 12:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Not sure if it is because Groovy 3 is in beta, but
import groovy.swing.SwingBuilder
fails. I was having a quick look at a simple interface for external tools, rather than a full-blown skin GUI.

I've included the minimal amount of libraries needed to get Groovy running withing jAlbum. For that import to work too, we have to include a third library (attached). That library is supposed to allow declarative construction of Swing based UIs. If you fall in love with it, let me know!

The attached library might need more depending libraries. Get all you need via http://groovy-lang.org/download.html (see the Alpha-3 binaries download, then put all you want under jAlbum's lib folder)
davidekholm

Posts: 3,553
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 14:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I've now updated the beta to b5 at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
Changes:
  • Include mechanism adjusted. It was cacheing the first page found and reusing it for other includes, even if the subsequent includes referred to other pages. Thanks André for spotting this. Now included pages are always loaded via a global cache which naturally won't deliver anything if the page isn't found.
  • Fixed problem on skin info page when trying to access the skin page for skins having spaces in their names (Classic Aligned 2 for instance). This also fixed problems with accessing the links on the skin update notifications. To test, open the system console and issue:
    JNotification.forgetAllDismissed()
    
    This causes jAlbum to forget about dismissed notifications and, again, show the notification about the update to Classic Aligned 2 if you select that skin again (assuming you haven't updated it either)
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,712
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 17:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've now updated the beta to b5 at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
Yes, I can confirm that inc-files are again processed as in the last released version, as you can see here.
Thanks!
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 21:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've included the minimal amount of libraries needed to get Groovy running withing jAlbum. For that import to work too, we have to include a third library (attached). That library is supposed to allow declarative construction of Swing based UIs. If you fall in love with it, let me know!
Well, I'm liking a lot of it, though it is different it doesn't seem that you need to start again from scratch - so picking it up should be easier - famous last words ;). What I'm liking is that it is easier to read what you have written, for example I like not having to use the get methods
count = 0
AlbumObject[] cao = JAlbumContext.getInstance().getExplorer().explorer.getSelectedAlbumObjects();
for (AlbumObject ao : cao) {
  println count++
  println ao.title
  println ao.included
  println ao.category 
  println ao.vars.cameraMake
}

The attached library might need more depending libraries. Get all you need via http://groovy-lang.org/download.html (see the Alpha-3 binaries download, then put all you want under jAlbum's lib folder)
I've downloaded all of the Alpha-3 binaries, so if I need anything else I can try adding those resources.

Of course, it needs more users to take an interest in it to make it worthwhile - unless Beanshell suddenly gives up the ghost and another language becomes mandatory. For now I'm happy having a play with it.
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 23:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've now updated the beta to b5 at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
Changes:
I just tried to update using my Beta update tool and it reported no update available, so to be sure I downloaded the above file and it too shows as Beta 4, not 5. Is it just a version error or is it the wrong file?
jGromit

Posts: 7,264
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 23:21   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I just tried to update using my Beta update tool and it reported no update available, so to be sure I downloaded the above file and it too shows as Beta 4, not 5. Is it just a version error or is it the wrong file?

The splash screen says b4, but the "About" page reveals that it's b5.
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 23:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
I just tried to update using my Beta update tool and it reported no update available, so to be sure I downloaded the above file and it too shows as Beta 4, not 5. Is it just a version error or is it the wrong file?

The splash screen says b4, but the "About" page reveals that it's b5.

The 'About' on My Mac is showing b4, see attached
jGromit

Posts: 7,264
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Nov-2018 23:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Attachment ss004679.png (33.8 KB)
Well, you'll just have to get a real PC. Actually, for the price of a Mac, you could get two pretty powerful PC's. ;)
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17.1 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Nov-2018 00:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Well, you'll just have to get a real PC. Actually, for the price of a Mac, you could get two pretty powerful PC's. ;)
That sounds awful, so I cleared caches and downloaded again, and now it shows 17.1b5 in the about screen.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums