This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Oct-2018 22:15 Last Post By: jGromit
Thomas-Schubert

Map other than Google Maps
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 22:28

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello, there,

I use JAlbum on a private website and mainly present family and holiday photos. Often they have GPS coordinates. I don't have a Google API Key and don't want to buy one because of the costs.

I wonder if it is possible in Tiger or another skin, instead of including a Google Map, to simply display a link liske this simple OpenStreetMap Link with the coordinates of the photo, e.g. in the metadata window. How these links can look like Wikipedia shows us in many ways ( example coordinates of city of Dresden ). Wikipedia has this meta link on each page about georeferencable object in the upper right corner. There are also many mapclients that can be integrated into websites as iframe.

Can one of you experienced users or developers show me how this works? There has to be a way without Google Maps.

Many thanks and many greetings,
Thomas
jGromit

Re: Map other than Google Maps
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 22:44   in response to: Thomas-Schubert in response to: Thomas-Schubert
Helpful
See this ongoing discussion: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=54546

If your site is private, there's no way you would ever use up the $200/month free allowance from Google. It would take something like 28,000 map views in a month before your credit card would be charged.

But if you really want to fall back to a simple link to a map page, which doesn't require an API key from Google (since you're not using the API in that case), take a look at the coding of the Minimal skin, which does exactly that. See the slide.htt template, line 40.

In another skin, you'd have to include that link somewhere in the slide image caption. You'd have to provide your own link - text or an icon - but the a href contents are simple, since you can feed the jAlbum gpsLocation variable directly to the Google maps page.

If you wanted to use another mapping service, I'm afraid you're on your own for now. None of us has had the time to plow through all the other choices, and work out how to interface with them.
Thomas-Schubert

Posted: 26-Oct-2018 22:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

On the Google page about the prices I could discover nothing about the $200/month free allowance. What I found is 300€ free in the first year of testing. Where can I find the monthly free allowance?
jGromit

Posted: 26-Oct-2018 22:13   in response to: Thomas-Schubert in response to: Thomas-Schubert

Here: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/

Look at the header on the second column of the first chart.

ETA: And this text, below the first chart:

"For each billing account, a monthly $200 USD Google Maps Platform credit is available and automatically applied to the qualifying SKUs."
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums