Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 112 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] - Last Post: 25-Oct-2018 15:52 Last Post By: davidekholm
ctwist

Re: jAlbum 17 beta for testing
Posted: 24-Oct-2018 04:52   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Where is Mr. Twist when he's needed? ;-)
No, nein, non, nyet, not going to happen.

I have been remote recently, as a consequence of retirement. I am replying from Grand Cayman, between swimming with aggressive stupid little fish and swimming with hungry stingrays.

However, there is a Java problem. This jAlbum release introduces Java 10, but it has already been deprecated! https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre10-downloads-4417026.html. Moreover, I cannot find a download page for Java 11 jre; only the jdk is available.

(incredibly confused)
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 05:22   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
However, there is a Java problem. This jAlbum release introduces Java 10, but it has already been deprecated!

Well, there's no reason why we can't keep using it. My own JRE just tried to update itself - from Java 10 to Java 8_191! That's the JRE that Oracle is currently providing, released on Oct. 16.

Moreover, I cannot find a download page for Java 11 jre; only the jdk is available.

Yeah, I've been down the same road, and don't understand what the hell Oracle is doing.

NetBeans 9 runs quite happily over JDK 11 (in fact, better than it did on JDK 10), but I can't find any JRE other than 8_191. Since the JRE is bundled with jAlbum, it's not really an issue for running jAlbum, but I also use Total Validator, which needs the JRE. For now, I'm leaving my JRE 10 alone, but....

It gets even better. There's a "licensed" version of JDK 11, which I'm sure skin developers can use because we're not bundling it with an application that's being distributed. Then there's the "open" version of JDK 11, which downloads as a zip file. There isn't even an installer with it!

What a mess.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 05:27   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Maybe it's time to include an "independent Skin" or two....

I've always argued against bundling third-party skins with jAlbum. Sure, make them available on the site, even promote them, but don't bundle them. There's just too much history of bundled skins getting lousy support (BananAlbum), or having their developers leave in a huff (Boxer).

jAlbum needs to control its own product, so it shouldn't rely too heavily on flaky third parties like me, who might just decide to run off and join the circus.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 06:32   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
...I cannot find a download page for Java 11 jre....

Doing some more poking around... There won't be a Java 11 JRE. The intent is that the developer of an application that uses Java will use jlink, a command in the JDK bin directory, to create a runtime environment customized for his application (i.e., including only the things that are needed for that application, rather than all of Java).

The upside is that someone distributing an application like jAlbum doesn't need to rely on the user to install a JRE (like it did in jAlbum's pre-Java-bundling days), and a JRE update can't break the application, since there's no updating possible - once that runtime environment is created and packaged with the application, it can't be patched.

The downside is that there's no updating. If a new Java version plugs a security hole, the only way a jAlbum user can get the updated version is to wait for jAlbum to crank out a new version that includes the newer Java.

Not sure what this means for an application like Total Validator, which needs Java, but has no bundled JRE with it.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 07:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Oh, and one more lovely tidbit - with the release of JDK 11, Nashorn Javascript is deprecated, and will be removed entirely in a later release.

Not sure what that means for a skin like Tiger. And given that BeanShell is virtually abandonware, I'm not sure what all of this means for any skin templates.

Maybe it really is time to run off and join the circus.
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 09:45   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
I've always thought that, of the true orphan skins, Fully and Responsive were the most deserving of adoption by someone - someone other than me

Is it time for me to nominate Rob? And I do that fully knowing it jeopardizes the continued development of that super skin ShowLite.

Both skins would need to be unbundled if a third party hack took them on, so they should stay under team jAlbum control. I made one easy change to Fully but the bulk of the code is beyond my meagre skill level.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 12:39   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:

Maybe it's time to include an "independent Skin" or two like Gromit " as an example of what jAlbum users have contributed, flexibility, etc and what is available.

True. It's maintained far better than our old in-house skins.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 12:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Oh, and one more lovely tidbit - with the release of JDK 11, Nashorn Javascript is deprecated, and will be removed entirely in a later release.

Not sure what that means for a skin like Tiger. And given that BeanShell is virtually abandonware, I'm not sure what all of this means for any skin templates.

Maybe it really is time to run off and join the circus.

Yes, those news really made me question what Oracle is up to. We'd either have to stay with Java 10 then or bundle Nashorn manually. These days Oracle are deprecating stuff here and there without pointing us forward in any direction. Really frustrating.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 14:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Oracle seem to point towards "GraalVM" as a faster and more standards compliant alternative to the Nashorn Javascript engine. Although deprecated in Java 11, Oracle are still bundling Nashorn with Java 11, and when removed ( after, not during Java 11 ), we'll either use GraalVM, another alternative or manually bundle the Nashorn engine. Existing skins relying on Javascript mustn't break. Anyway, the v11 release is the first long-term release after v8, so we can expect it to be supported for 3 years now.

Given all this, I'll try to make jAlbum run on Java 11, and why not on a combination of OpenJDK11 and OpenFX now that JavaFX has also been moved out of Oracle's Java 11 distro.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 14:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
v17 b8 out:
  • Drag-selecting images in Explore mode followed by a space bar hit now works (Explore panel is now focused on first mouse down event instead of on click events)
  • Keys 6-9 now work on thumbnails to select flag. This applies to both Review and Explore mode now
  • T and F buttons are again mapped to toggle representing thumbnail and cycle flag (when hovering on closeups only)
  • Adjusted selecting multiple images using shift+arrow keys to behave consistently
  • Fixed inconsistent display of the heart icon for folder representing thumbnail
  • Fixed Nullpointer exception
  • Hit space or right click over closeup image when in review mode to display that image only

Update your jalbum-core.jar file to try this out.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 15:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
What does it do if I mouse-hover on a thumbnail while simultaneously standing on my head, spinning in my desk chair, and reciting Canto IV of Dante's Inferno? Will RobM's wiki explain this?
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 15:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
What does it do if I mouse-hover on a thumbnail while simultaneously standing on my head, spinning in my desk chair, and reciting Canto IV of Dante's Inferno? Will RobM's wiki explain this?
It will give directions on how to get to hospital whilst suffering from multiple fractures ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 17:38   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Made yet one more update. It's now b9:
  • Changed mouse and keyboard shortcuts so double clicking a closeup image brings it into single-view mode. Use any qualifier key + single click to toggle max/min zoom. (Also applies to zoom control in Edit mode)
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 20:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Would a keyboard shortcut to toggle the visibility of the thumbnail bar be of use, maybe Shift or CMD/CNTRL + T?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 24-Oct-2018 21:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Yes, those news really made me question what Oracle is up to. We'd either have to stay with Java 10 then or bundle Nashorn manually. These days Oracle are deprecating stuff here and there without pointing us forward in any direction. Really frustrating.

More news:

"Java is about helping developers build and maintain large, reliable programs," said Reinhold. "The other big goal is program performance."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/23/java_renovation_javaone/
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums