Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 356 - Pages: 24 [ Previous | 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 | Next ] - Last Post: 18-Nov-2017 16:56 Last Post By: davidekholm
RobM

Re: jAlbum 14.2 beta for testing
Posted: 15-Nov-2017 14:44   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
jimberry wrote:
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
...I don't plan to include this update to Minimal at this stage. I want to be a bit conservative and think through the UI of Minimal too before updating it.

We've been down this road before, of course. Minimal is "neither fish nor fowl." It was intended to be just a little skeletal demo skin that illustrates a few things, a basis for skin development. So some argue for keeping it very stripped-down, with just a smattering of features.

.... So maybe it should be made more functional. But then, of course, we get into the problem of the baby with several fathers.

I am in the "conservative" camp that thinks that if the purpose of Minimal is no longer to be "minimal", then the suggested "non-minimal" version should have a different name that reflects its new purpose.
I don't see any downside to keeping the old Minimal as a truly "minimal" (or is it already too late for that? ?:| )

I’m in both camps, of course.

Minimal skin as a true basic skin for users and range of Minimal variations for developers to learn from, such as Minimal dragList, Minimal themeImage etc. All of the skins could use the new skin family setting, so the generic settings are inherited when moving from one to another.

Of course though, there is nothing stopping any skin developer from creating/adding to such a skin range once they have mastered a technique.

Such a scheme though would need for the skins to either be posted exclusively in the skin developers forum or in a new skin page aimed at developers.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 14:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment ja_theme.jpg (8.3 KB)
Attachment Output.PNG (258.6 KB)
Attachment Input.PNG (447.9 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
I've attached an updated version of Andrés mod to Minimal, where I simply stripped out "postdir.bsh" and removed stuff from index.htt. I've kept his onload.bsh untouched.
This version produces the wrong theme image ja_theme.jpg: compare the theme image in the folder panel (attached Input.PNG) with the index.html file in the output folder (attached Output.PNG).
The ja_theme.jpg is equal to the previous version made by the code in postdir.bsh, but it has the same timestamp as index.html
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 15:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
André. Can you attach a zipped project please?
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 15:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment SamplePortfolio.zip (282.6 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
Sure, but I had to remove the People, Nature, Objects and Travel folders, otherwise the zip file was too large
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 15:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
If I discard the message and start again, I can attched the project with the 4 directories!!
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 16:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
To simplify this, I've added 3 new variables: themePath (analogous to thumbPath and imagePath), themeWidth and themeHeight (analogous to their thumb* and image* counterparts):
I think there is something wrong with themeHeight .

I write normally debug information to index.html by adding in index.htt:
<!--  themePath = ${themePath} themeWidth= ${themeWidth} themeHeight= ${themeHeight }
path = ${path}  imgTheme = ${imgTheme}  themeImagePath= ${themeImagePath}
folderImageSize= ${folderImageSize} imgThemeHeight= ${imgThemeHeight} maxImageWidth= ${maxImageWidth} maxImageHeight= ${maxImageHeight} -->

This displays in index.html:
<!--  themePath = folderimage.jpg themeWidth= 1920 themeHeight= 
path = Vecht_Sahara_140328_1024-2.jpg  imgTheme =   themeImagePath= folderimage.jpg
folderImageSize= 1920x400 imgThemeHeight= 400 maxImageWidth= 1920 maxImageHeight= 1080 -->
You see themeHeight is unknown.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 17:13   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
New beta core file available (b17) that has 4 extra quality "custom" image scaling types available, see Settings->Images.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 17:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
New beta core file available (b17) that has 4 extra quality "custom" image scaling types available, see Settings->Images.

Can't wait to read RobM's comprehensive manual explanation of those. ;)

Edit: But why two comboboxes to select a scaling method? Why not just add the new choices to the existing list?
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 18:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I've attached an updated version of Andrés mod to Minimal, where I simply stripped out "postdir.bsh" and removed stuff from index.htt. I've kept his onload.bsh untouched.
This version produces the wrong theme image ja_theme.jpg: compare the theme image in the folder panel (attached Input.PNG) with the index.html file in the output folder (attached Output.PNG).
The ja_theme.jpg is equal to the previous version made by the code in postdir.bsh, but it has the same timestamp as index.html
The Remove menu item does not work and I can't drag a new theme image to the Folder panel.

I added your code also to my Slide Show 4 and PhotoSwipe skin, and there it seems to work, but I use in init.bsh:

engine.setThemeImageProcessor(new ThemeImageProcessor());

I notice too that your code in Minimal-Andre put the theme images in a slides directory.
That is a bad idea! The top directory contains no slides, but your code generates a directory slides.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 18:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
This beta actually has a core implementation of theme image generation too (generating a "folderimage.jpg" to the output folder just like Turtle and Tiger does).
I have in my skins a mode which uses only the theme image link to use a slides image as theme image, with like this in index.htt:
  path = currentFolder.getProperties().get("themeImagePath");
  if (!isEmpty(path) && isEmpty(imgThemeHeight)) {
    imgThemePre = "slides/" + path;
    if (linkFileExist(imgThemePre)) {
      themeImagePath = imgThemePre;
      makeThemeImage = false;
    }
  }
This is only executed if the user leaves the imgThemeHeight field empty. This works OK, but a theme image folderimage.jpg is genereated but not used.

What should I add to use the link and not create a theme image?
What is actually triggering the creation of the theme image?

RobM

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 21:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Can't wait to read RobM's comprehensive manual explanation of those. ;)

Edit: But why two comboboxes to select a scaling method? Why not just add the new choices to the existing list?

The current explanation is already a bit lengthy, so I think simplification is the answer:
"Resizing an image requires sampling and ideally the samples should be evenly spaced but avoiding regular patterns. Sampling methods available are: Fastest, Medium, Smooth, Blackman-Bessel, Blackman-Sinc, Lanczos and Mitchell. Sampling techniques include nearest neighbour, area averaging, bilinear, bicubic, best-candidate to name a few.

Each sampling technique has advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of image being sampled. Advantages of each tend to be that they preserve a specific property, like hard edges. Disadvantages are the generation of artefacts such as blocking, ringing, moire and blurring.

If the images generated suffer from artefacts try another scaling method."

That’s my two pence worth.
RobM

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 21:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
A specific scaling method might generate acceptable images for all bar a few images, whilst another method might be better for those few but worse for the rest. Making these sampling methods available for individual images would make a nice feature. Is that possible?
jGromit

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 22:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I think there's a danger here, in that jAlbum will start getting like one of those video processing applications that has 200 settings, of which you use only three, because you don't understand the rest of them. And the application just gets too intimidating for 99% of the users. They get the feeling they should be making informed choices for these settings, but don't have a clue about what should guide them.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 22:44   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:

The Remove menu item does not work and I can't drag a new theme image to the Folder panel.

Anyone else having problems dragging and dropping?

I notice too that your code in Minimal-Andre put the theme images in a slides directory.
That is a bad idea! The top directory contains no slides, but your code generates a directory slides.

It was just to illustrate how to adjust the behavior.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Nov-2017 22:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
With regards to the new scaling options:
It has come to my understanding that some users use other tools to do the scaling as they aren't fully happy with jAlbum's scaling quality. While it's perfectly fine to use any tool for that purpose, jAlbum should be at least as good in this regard. When discovering the high quality "TwelveMonkeys" library while hunting for a better CMYK JPEG reader I also noticed that it comes with a suite of high quality image scaling algorithms. I simply picked the 4 algorithms that was regarded as the best, quality wise. I don't want to complicate the user experience by listing them along with the basic ones as it may be hard to tell in what circumstances each of them excel. Most users will do fine with either "Medium" or "Smooth".

I hope we'll gather more experience with these new algorithms when the next release has been out a couple of months. That might lead to an adjusted UI design.

Edited by: davidekholm on 15-Nov-2017 22:59
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums