Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 356 - Pages: 24 [ Previous | 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] - Last Post: 18-Nov-2017 16:56 Last Post By: davidekholm
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 14.2 beta for testing
Posted: 02-Nov-2017 20:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I plan to put the generated theme image under slides and simply call it “themeImage.jpg”

That should be reasonably safe, as long as no user adds an image to the project with the same name. For belt and suspenders, maybe something even more resistant to accidental duplication, like ja_themeImage.jpg.
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 20:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Is there an intention to allow images to be dragged and dropped from outside the current folder/project or do users need to always add an image to the current folder?
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 20:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I plan to put the generated theme image under slides and simply call it “themeImage.jpg”
That will give problems with existing users of my skins, because I use that mostly as default name, so please use a langer name like jAlbumThemeImage.jpg or ja_themeImage.jpg
jGromit

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 20:41   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Is there an intention to allow images to be dragged and dropped from outside the current folder/project or do users need to always add an image to the current folder?

Just did a quick experiment, and at least for now, it has to be added to the project before it can be dragged over to the theme box. So, add the image, drag the image, exclude the image (if necessary). Would be nice to be able to short-circuit that, I suppose.
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 20:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
A very good question!
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 21:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

Just did a quick experiment, and at least for now, it has to be added to the project before it can be dragged over to the theme box. So, add the image, drag the image, exclude the image (if necessary). Would be nice to be able to short-circuit that, I suppose.

It would 'make things easier' for most people, not everyone easily grasps the concept of add/set/exclude.
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 21:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
A suggested feature is to allow the theme images to be inherited for subfolders.
This would be for users that may only want a single theme image for the whole project, or a different image for each subfolder at the root level, but subsequent subfolders having the same image.

To do that with this scheme means adding the same image to every folder, and possibly having to set the crop focus for each one. To avoid that you would have to make a cropped version first and then add it to each folder.
jGromit

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 21:46   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
A suggested feature is to allow the theme images to be inherited for subfolders.

That would be a skin option. It could provide a checkbox like Same theme image for folders, and then just grab the root-level /slides/themeImage.jpg and use it on the page.

Edit: The skin could be even more clever, and offer to use the root level theme for all levels, but only if the folder in question didn't have one specified already. Or it could traverse the tree and find the next available theme image (an image for Folder X, but none chosen for the subfolders of Folder X, so use the Folder X image for its subfolders). But in my experience, users rarely grasp that level of complexity, and tend to go for "all or none."
jGromit

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 21:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Ah, but what I think is missing is the ability not to choose a theme image for a folder, or even for the entire project. It appears that if the skin is tagged as being one that allows you to choose a theme image, it always puts something in that box. There needs to be a "none" option.
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 22:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

That would be a skin option. It could provide a checkbox like Same theme image for folders, and then just grab the root-level /slides/themeImage.jpg and use it on the page.

Edit: The skin could be even more clever, and offer to use the root level theme for all levels, but only if the folder in question didn't have one specified already. Or it could traverse the tree and find the next available theme image (an image for Folder X, but none chosen for the subfolders of Folder X, so use the Folder X image for its subfolders). But in my experience, users rarely grasp that level of complexity, and tend to go for "all or none."

I was looking at this as a possible way of simplifying what I currently do, like you suggest above. But without a checkbox in this property pane I'd still have to insert my own custom GUI to make it work on any folder.
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 22:17   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

I was looking at this as a possible way of simplifying what I currently do, like you suggest above. But without a checkbox in this property pane I'd still have to insert my own custom GUI to make it work on any folder.
Actually, at the moment the theme override is a skin GUI setting, not a per folder one - that is just the theme image selection - but I allow images from outside the project, so maybe soon :).

I'd still need the custom panel though as it also allows style overrides for folders.
jGromit

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 22:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I was looking at this as a possible way of simplifying what I currently do....

I've started working on a new skin, and while I'm stealing a lot of code from Gromit and Matrix, I'm taking the opportunity to strip out a boatload (polite word) of complexity that those two skins have acquired over the years. If there's actually a demand for some of the more Byzantine stuff, I'll consider adding it.
davidekholm

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 23:24   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

I currently plan to require the images to be part of the album project, but they can be excluded of course. The user interface obviously could allow drags from other sources in the future, but it's good to ensure that the album project is self contained.
davidekholm

Posted: 02-Nov-2017 23:24   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
That will give problems with existing users of my skins, because I use that mostly as default name, so please use a langer name like jAlbumThemeImage.jpg or ja_themeImage.jpg

I hear you. Using a prefix like ja_ is probably a good idea.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Nov-2017 01:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I've started working on a new skin....

The excitement is palpable. Has anyone alerted the media?

I'm reminded of what someone once said about writing editorials for his local newspaper: "Writing editorials is like wetting yourself in a seersucker suit. It gives you a warm feeling, but no one notices."
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums