This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13-Oct-2017 13:48 Last Post By: jGromit
Serge2

Is FotoSlides still operating at all? by Dhina?
Posted: 13-Oct-2017 00:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can't seem to find an answer.

_Plane "B" ...what is the closest and best skin replacement?

Thanks in advance
jGromit

Re: Is FotoSlides still operating at all? by Dhina?
Posted: 13-Oct-2017 00:57   in response to: Serge2 in response to: Serge2

Tough question to answer. FotoSlides is still there, and it certainly works. Support is an unknown, but dhina has usually been pretty good about responding to direct questions on one of his websites - he hasn't posted here in eons.

http://fotoslides.com/

Best skin replacement? It really depends on what features you're looking for. Which things are most important to you?
Serge2

Posted: 13-Oct-2017 03:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit, (Love your show btw! :) )
Thanks for taking the time and reply. I'd rather keep the likes of Photoplayer type skin but since Firefox no longer keep Flash Player active, I need to move with an HTML5 equivalent and with similar features; Left navigation with preview thumbs for galleries and albums opens in main right side window etc.

Maybe I'm too in a rush to get it going again.

Thanks again!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Oct-2017 13:48   in response to: Serge2 in response to: Serge2

Serge2 wrote:
...I need to move with an HTML5 equivalent and with similar features; Left navigation with preview thumbs for galleries and albums opens in main right side window etc.

That's a layout model that largely been abandoned by skins, even FotoSlides. It uses the much more typical approach of providing the slide image on its own page. For multi-platform responsiveness, particularly small displays like smartphones, that's often the only way to tackle it.

I haven't played with FotoSlides much, but I'm surprised to see that the thumbnail page isn't really responsive to the display size. Perhaps I'm missing some setting.

FotoSlides is lacking some of the features of FotoPlayer, like a shopping cart, but if you don't need those features, that's fine.

I haven't experimented, but I would guess that some of the social media features may not be working - things like the Facebook API are a moving target, and skins that use them have to make constant changes to continue to work properly with them. But if you're not using them, you can just shut them off and ignore it.

Google maps aren't going to work without some skin hacking, because Google now requires an API key, and the skin doesn't appear to have a way to enter one.

The unknown question is whether, if you need some additional feature, dhina will be willing to plunge back into the skin to provide it. There haven't been any updates in three years.

So, I suppose the answer is to play with FotoSlides for a while and see if you run into any show-stoppers, i.e., things you really want or need, but that the skin doesn't provide.

Or maybe it's time to let go of the "look and feel" of FotoPlayer, and move on to an actively-supported, fully-responsive skin, but one that looks quite different.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums