This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Sep-2017 12:11 Last Post By: jGromit
zoppotrump

No Google Maps on Gromit Skin
Posted: 20-Sep-2017 11:48

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello together,

I tried out the fantastic Gromit skin, but whatever i activate, there never appears a GoogleMaps button. Coordinates are included in pictures, but I dont find the solution.
I´m working with Jalbum 14.1.10 on 64bit win7 system.

Anyone got the same problem or any idea?

Many thanks
zoppo
jGromit

Re: No Google Maps on Gromit Skin
Posted: 20-Sep-2017 13:02   in response to: zoppotrump in response to: zoppotrump
Correct
Three things to check:

• First, is jAlbum detecting the GPS coordinates? Right-click on one of the thumbnails in the Explore window and choose LIst metadata. You should see the GPS metadata items on that list.
  • Second, go to Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata and make sure you've checked the first box in the lower section, Include photographic data in generated pages. If you don't, the jAlbum core will discard all metadata before making the album, including the GPS info.
  • Third, be aware that by default Gromit places the globe icon in the navigation bar at the top left of the slide page. If you want it in the caption instead, go to Gromit > Maps and choose Map link below image.

If you get the globe icon to appear, but get an "Oops" screen when trying to display the map, see the section on the API key on this page: https://jgromit.com/gromit/man/gromit_maps.html
zoppotrump

Posted: 20-Sep-2017 13:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

THANKS Gromit,

the help was: "make sure you've checked the first box in the lower section"

And thank you for this great skin!

Regards
Zoppo
jGromit

Posted: 20-Sep-2017 13:41   in response to: zoppotrump in response to: zoppotrump

Yes, sometimes the effects of changing default settings aren't immediately obvious!

Glad you like the skin. :)
zoppotrump

Posted: 23-Sep-2017 11:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi Gromit,

although I solved it myself, i am wondering about the solution.

When bringing my album online, the maps didn´t work, because of missing API key. But i already had pasted the key already in (maps section - API key).
To get the map shown and working I had to write into the "gmaps.html" the following line additional to your automaticaly inserted one:

<script async defer src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YOUR_API_KEY&callback=initMap" type="text/javascript"></script>

Is this normal, or just good luck? :)

regards
zoppo
jGromit

Posted: 23-Sep-2017 11:50   in response to: zoppotrump in response to: zoppotrump
Helpful
No, that's not normal. You should never have to make any manual edits to the files produced by the skin. In fact, entering the call to the maps script twice will likely cause problems. You should not be trying to improvise!

The skin works properly as built. You enter the API key into the skin settings, make the album, and upload all of the files, without changing them.
zoppotrump

Posted: 23-Sep-2017 12:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

thanks for the advice and your immediate help.

I scanned the key and found, that i had pasted it with a leading and final blank. maybe this was the problem. now it´s working, as it should.

donation is on the way.

ragards
zoppo
jGromit

Posted: 23-Sep-2017 12:11   in response to: zoppotrump in response to: zoppotrump

Yes, the skin takes what you've entered without doing any "cleanup." It should probably trim off any leading or trailing blanks, since it's very easy to get those by accident when you're copying and pasting. Next release...

Thank you for your donation!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums