This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 99 - Pages: 7 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] - Last Post: 20-Sep-2018 10:02 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum 14 mutilates Lightroom comments
Posted: 27-Jul-2017 18:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
These days, no one should be trying to write their own EXIF data - use IPTC or, even more future-proof, xmp.
I agree with you, but what to do if you have 5000 Photos from the past with only EXIF data?

And why don't you answer my question:
And what are the disadvantages for normal users not having this problem if this is standard inserted in Windows installations?
jGromit

Posted: 27-Jul-2017 18:34   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
...what to do if you have 5000 Photos from the past with only EXIF data?

Sounds like a personal problem, to me. ;)

Surely someone out there has an application that can batch-process this kind of stuff, reading the EXIF comments and writing out xmp. Or maybe someone could write one? (Not me - I'm in the Engadine Valley, hiking, eating, and drinking.)

And what are the disadvantages for normal users not having this problem if this is standard inserted in Windows installations?

Probably none, though I do understand why David might be hesitant to load up the scripts with this kind of oddball stuff. Things like this tend to work their way into an application and cause problems further down the line. By that point, no one remembers why it was inserted in the first place, and no one knows if it's safe to remove it.
RobM

Posted: 27-Jul-2017 23:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Surely someone out there has an application that can batch-process this kind of stuff, reading the EXIF comments and writing out xmp.
A quick search of the internet shows it is already possible, just a question of exporting and then importing into jAlbum.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 28-Jul-2017 07:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
"Next year, Linux will truly break out, and increase its market share from about 1% to 1.5%." Every year, the same story.

Not exactly. Current Linux desktop share is 1.74 - 2.18% according to usage share of operating systems.

Online usage share is:

Linux kernel: 40.41% (+0.49)
Microsoft Windows (kernel): 36.84% (-0.68)
Apple XNU: 18.46% (+0.03)

Thus the future is bright and salvation is near.
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Jul-2017 17:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Would adding -Dfile.encoding="UTF-8" to the .ini file work?

Yes, it could, but it could also interfere with reading and writing files from/to the file system.
AndreWolff

Posted: 30-Jul-2017 17:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:

Yes, it could,

It works perfect! I have seen no side effects!
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Jul-2017 19:58   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:

Yes, it could,

It works perfect! I have seen no side effects!

Try loading and saving files in jAlbum that's using foreign characters.
AndreWolff

Posted: 30-Jul-2017 22:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Try loading and saving files in jAlbum that's using foreign characters
That is what I do: my image files use foreign characters!
What other files should I load in JAlbum?
davidekholm

Posted: 31-Jul-2017 14:54   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Try loading and saving files in jAlbum that's using foreign characters
That is what I do: my image files use foreign characters!
What other files should I load in JAlbum?

Just to be clear, it's about foreign characters in the image file names, not within the files. Try loading and saving such images via jAlbum's text editor for instance.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 01-Aug-2017 13:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Just to be clear, it's about foreign characters in the image file names, not within the files. Try loading and saving such images via jAlbum's text editor for instance.

Opened http://lge-laufen.de/welcome.html in jAlbum Textpad and got mojibake because Textpad assumes it is UTF-8. Tried several other applications as kwrite which auto-detect windows-1252 and display all characters correctly.

Adding the page as htt results in proper encoding: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/Welcome.html
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Aug-2017 12:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I did change file names like Vecht_Sahara_140328_1029-3 into Vecht_Sahara_140328_1029-3_André both in the jAlbum Explorer and in the Windows Explorer and displayed the file name in the upper left corner of this PhotoSwipe test album.

As you can see it gives no problems.

So you can safely insert -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 in the ini file for a Windows installation,
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Aug-2017 10:20   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I did change file names like Vecht_Sahara_140328_1029-3 into Vecht_Sahara_140328_1029-3_André both in the jAlbum Explorer and in the Windows Explorer and displayed the file name in the upper left corner of this PhotoSwipe test album.

As you can see it gives no problems.

So you can safely insert -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 in the ini file for a Windows installation,

Good, but I've been in a situation where using -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 messed things up. Perhaps I can't pinpoint where you end up in trouble if you use -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8, but I've seen it happening and choose to avoid swapping one problem for another. Try to ping the metadata-extractor people about adding support for passing the default file encoding explicitly via the API and we can enjoy the same good behavior as in JAlbum 13 along with the benefits of the updated metadata-extractor library.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 03-Aug-2017 14:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I am still wondering about the following:

• The Unicode replacement character (�) has become virtually extinct on my machine during recent years. Though LANG is set to de_DE.UTF-8 all applications detect and display (some 1150) different charsets correctly. I presume these applications use charset detection available e.g. from http://site.icu-project.org/

• jAlbum does not detect and display different charsets correctly
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Aug-2017 14:59   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:

* jAlbum does not detect and display different charsets correctly

jAlbum does, but the updated metadata-extractor library no longer defaults to the encoding jAlbum uses as the API lacks that information.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 03-Aug-2017 15:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

* jAlbum does not detect and display different charsets correctly

jAlbum does, but the updated metadata-extractor library no longer defaults to the encoding jAlbum uses as the API lacks that information.

Please check:

http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/welcome.ascii.html correct

http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/welcome.cp1252.html wrong
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums