Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ Previous | 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm
RobM

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Jun-2017 20:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
I personally lean towards allowing web locations in slide pages myself. Can others please bring your opinions!
Taking an album of albums as an example of using web locations, why would you want to see slide pages for them? You just want to jump straight to the album.

I can't think of a time when I would want slide pages for them, and would exclude them anyway in my skins as a design choice.
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 20:57   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I personally lean towards allowing web locations in slide pages myself. Can others please bring your opinions!
Taking an album of albums as an example of using web locations, why would you want to see slide pages for them? You just want to jump straight to the album.

I can't think of a time when I would want slide pages for them, and would exclude them anyway in my skins as a design choice.

By default jAlbum links straight to the target URL from the thumbnail pages, but if you happen to be viewing a slide image and click next, why not allow a closeup image of the target URL to be presented in a slide page?
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
...if you happen to be viewing a slide image and click next, why not allow a closeup image of the target URL to be presented in a slide page?

So why not have a slide page for each folder, with a picture of the folder thumbnail page, and a link that takes you to that folder?
RobM

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

By default jAlbum links straight to the target URL from the thumbnail pages, but if you happen to be viewing a slide image and click next, why not allow a closeup image of the target URL to be presented in a slide page?

Mostly because I think slide pages should include images and videos but not PDF, Word, Excell, web locations et al. They have, in my opinion, no place in a slide show.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:25   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Mostly because I think slide pages should include images and videos but not PDF, Word, Excell, web locations et al. They have, in my opinion, no place in a slide show.

Yes, I've always struggled with the proper way to do that. jAlbum gives you no easy way to exclude them from the slideshow, so you need to do something with them on the slide pages.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
In that case it is indeed not required, so you can skip the slide images like I do here.
If you have a mixture of images and web locations, like in this album, 2nd slide you can use it to give optional more information.
RobM

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

Yes, I've always struggled with the proper way to do that. jAlbum gives you no easy way to exclude them from the slideshow, so you need to do something with them on the slide pages.

My method for that was to build a slideshow page, that loaded the wanted files from a JavaScript array.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:
I take it back. If you choose EXIF Image Desc as a comment source, but the images don't contain that field, you get NullPointerExceptions.
Ah, now fixed. (same version number though)

That's better. :)

I was also getting a bunch of random console error messages, even with jAlbum just idling, but they seemed to relate to this problem, so I didn't mention it. Those seem to be gone, but I'll keep an eye out for them.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 21:41   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
My method for that was to build a slideshow page, that loaded the wanted files from a JavaScript array.

I've been hesitant to take over the slide page generation from the core, or to try to shoehorn something different into that routine.

I think I'm heading for a new compromise for things like PDF's and Word files. The thumbnail hooks directly to the file - what happens then is up to your browser (display the PDF in a new tab, offer to save the Word file, whatever). On the slide page, I'll just use the standard representing image, but always provide a "download" icon that opens the object, just like the thumbnail.

Right now in Gromit, the thumbnail goes to the slide page, and the entire slide image is an active link to the object. But if a visitor is using the on-image navigation, that results in some nasty surprises, especially if the visitor is on a smartphone! Not good. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 22:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
To make everyone happy, I'm open to providing a "makeWebLocationSlides" skin property. André could set it to true and jGromit to false. The default may vary, so set it to either true or false if you care about the behavior
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 23:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
To make everyone happy, I'm open to providing a "makeWebLocationSlides" skin property. André could set it to true and jGromit to false. The default may vary, so set it to either true or false if you care about the behavior
Great! Thanks.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 23:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I like it. It should probably default to true. I'm thinking about old, unsupported skins that might misbehave rather badly otherwise. At least you wouldn't get a broken album in that case.
RobM

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 23:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Sounds like there could be an API method that a skin developer could use to make slides or not for an object of any category? That would be cool.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jun-2017 23:41   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Sounds like there could be an API method that a skin developer could use to make slides or not for an object of any category? That would be cool.

I thought about that, too, but didn't want to press my luck. ;)

But yeah, being able to say, "leave all of the Category.other objects out of the slides" would come in handy from time to time.
AndreWolff

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 08:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
To make everyone happy...
… and David you can make other jAlbum users and me even more happy, by making jAlbum more user friendly:

1. By giving a warning message if you enter text in a comment field while check-mark jAlbum (Text file) is cleared, see my experience here
2. By moving the Set crop focus .. menu item one level up as you promised here.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 21-Jun-2017 08:40
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums