Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 11-May-2017 16:56
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all,

We're approaching the release of jAlbum 14. Here's your chance to test and comment on the beta.

Installers:
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Any OS: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

News (well some of them):
  • Album 14 will include the new Tiger" skin that replaces Turtle and is designed for responsive design from ground-up (not included in this beta though)
  • Defaults to a new stylish dark look
  • New album object type: "Web locations". Web locations are objects that can refer to any web page, not just local ones. This opens for some really interesting new applications for jAlbum. See for example this album collecting popular TED talks on YouTube: http://testing.jalbum.net/TED%20talks/
To add a "Web location" to your album, drop the web page onto jAlbum or select New page->Web location. Why not use this feature to make a master album out of existing albums?
  • jAlbum can now automatically embed xmp based copyright notices on all images (Settings->Images)
  • jAlbum's Text effect (Settings->Effects->Text) now supports background color
  • jAlbum now has integrated GoogleMaps location tagging, see Edit->Location
  • Now reads metadata from several popular file formats, not just JPEG images
  • Better integration with external editors, for instance PhotoShop (alt-double click to export to choosen editor)
  • New importer to import metadata from various database backed photo management systems (see Add->From database file)
  • Developer API improvements and bug fixes
  • Adapted for Java 9
  • New "Tiger" skin which is a successor to Turtle supporting Web Locations and written with responsiveness (mobile use) in mind from scratch
  • Bundled skins "Minimal", "Base", "PhotoBlogger", "Turtle" and the new "Tiger" skin now supports Web Locations.
  • The ja:fileiterator tag now accepts a comma separated list of categories for the new "category" attribute
  • Batch rename now supports regular expressions (select several album objects and select rename to launch batch rename tool)
  • "Skin family" mechanism allowing skins belonging to the same family to share the same project settings. This simplifies moving from one skin to another without having to re-enter the same settings. This applies when moving from Turtle to the new Tiger skin for instance. Just open an existing Turtle project and switch to Tiger, then make the album again. ("Skin family" is a skin property)

Skin developers:
Your skin needs to be slightly updated to support "web locations". These objects behave similarly to ordinary images but with three exceptions:
  • Web locations have a category of Category.webLocation
  • Web locations have a new "targetURL" variable pointing to the destination web site
  • The "closeupPath" variable of web locations also point to the destination web site, thereby linking thumbnails straight to the target web site.

Web locations, like other jAlbum objects may or may not a have a representing image. If they lack a representing image, an icon is used instead.

The easiest way to adapt a skin for web location support is to check for the presence of the targetURL variable, and if found, link to it. The bundled "Minimal" skin has been adjusted by simply linking the title to the target web site, like this (slide.htt):
<ja:if exists="targetURL"><a href="${targetURL}"></ja:if><div id="imagetitle">${title}<ja:if exists="targetURL"></a></ja:if>

Comments welcome!
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 11-May-2017 17:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
One little bit of weirdness that I honestly don't understand... Choose Minimal and make an album with a few JPG's and one web location. Tell the skin to include a thumbstrip. There's no thumbstrip thumbnail for the web location, even though there is a slide page for it.

I can understand that the closeupPath for it would be a problem - clicking on the thumbstrip thumbnail would open the external site, rather than going to the slide page. But I don't understand why it's missing entirely. It seems that fileiterator is skipping over it. I have the nagging feeling that there's a danger there, but can't put my finger on it.
RobM

Posted: 11-May-2017 18:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Hi all,

We're approaching the release of jAlbum 14. Here's your chance to test and comment on the beta.

Assuming no adverse reactions is there an expected release date, or to put it another way how long do users/skin developers have to try out the beta? Having a target date may help people focus on the new version :)
jGromit

Posted: 12-May-2017 00:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
It seems that fileiterator is skipping over it.

I've narrowed this down. The fileiterator ignores web location objects if you include the nodirs attribute.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-May-2017 14:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Hi all,

Assuming no adverse reactions is there an expected release date, or to put it another way how long do users/skin developers have to try out the beta? Having a target date may help people focus on the new version :)

There is no fixed release date. We're basically feature complete now but waiting for the bundled skins to be adapted to web locations and for the new Tiger skin.
RobM

Posted: 12-May-2017 16:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
The representing image file selector allows any file type to be selected, though the update button does not work on non-graphic images. Will there be a limit to allowed files types, such as jpg, png, tif, gif? At the moment you can use some RAW files, which show as black & white but you can't use SVG files.
jGromit

Posted: 12-May-2017 16:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The fileiterator ignores web location objects if you include the nodirs attribute.

This is fixed in 14b6.
RobM

Posted: 12-May-2017 16:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
If you select 'Convert link to copy' you get an error,
Exception in thread "copier" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:653)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:429)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.FileCopier$2.run(FileCopier.java:107)

That option should not be available.
RobM

Posted: 12-May-2017 16:45   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
If you copy the location item and select paste, but then choose 'Don't replace' you get the error:
Exception in thread "copier" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
at java.util.LinkedList.checkElementIndex(LinkedList.java:555)
at java.util.LinkedList.get(LinkedList.java:476)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.FileCopier$2.run(FileCopier.java:107)
MarkusD

Posted: 12-May-2017 19:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • New album object type: "Web locations". Web locations are objects that can refer to any web page, not just local ones. This opens for some really interesting new applications for jAlbum. See for example this album collecting popular TED talks on YouTube: http://testing.jalbum.net/TED%20talks/
To add a "Web location" to your album, drop the web page onto jAlbum or select New page->Web location. Why not use this feature to make a master album out of existing albums?

Maybe I don't get the idea behind this feature, but where is the difference to the possibility to use the "External link Embed or HTML code" option? Your example just shows me an album with thumbnails and when I click on the thumbnail the external web page opens. But this can already be done with "External link Embed or HTML code"?

Could you please provide other examples to show the possibilities of that new feature?

TIA, Markus
RobM

Posted: 12-May-2017 20:26   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
Maybe I don't get the idea behind this feature, but where is the difference to the possibility to use the "External link Embed or HTML code" option? Your example just shows me an album with thumbnails and when I click on the thumbnail the external web page opens. But this can already be done with "External link Embed or HTML code"?

Could you please provide other examples to show the possibilities of that new feature?

TIA, Markus

The External link embed or HTML code is skin specific, Laza and a few other developers that support external linking. With the new feature you can add a link to another web page as an album object, so any skin can implement support for it.

One of the examples David gave was making an album of albums. The master album can have web location objects added from other albums.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-May-2017 20:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
The representing image file selector allows any file type to be selected, though the update button does not work on non-graphic images. Will there be a limit to allowed files types, such as jpg, png, tif, gif? At the moment you can use some RAW files, which show as black & white but you can't use SVG files.

It's currently limited to the file types supported by the ImageIO image reading library, normally JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF, but also RAW files with jAlbum.
jGromit

Posted: 12-May-2017 20:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
The External link embed or HTML code is skin specific, Laza and a few other developers that support external linking.

And each of us has done it in a different way. If you switched from Turtle to Gromit, you'd have to re-enter all those links. Different variable names, stored in different places. This method should survive better when switching skins.

The other plus is that you can drag-and-drop a website onto jAlbum, and it will do its best to grab a representing image. It may not be what you want, but you can change it. With the current skin-specific methods, you generally have to supply a representing image from the get-go.
MarkusD

Posted: 13-May-2017 12:57   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:

The External link embed or HTML code is skin specific, Laza and a few other developers that support external linking. With the new feature you can add a link to another web page as an album object, so any skin can implement support for it.

One of the examples David gave was making an album of albums. The master album can have web location objects added from other albums.

OK, I was not aware, that "External link Embed or HTML code" is skin specific. Thanks for the explanations, Markus
MarkusD

Posted: 13-May-2017 13:56   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • Defaults to a new stylish dark look

Comments welcome!

My first impression of the dark theme was: looks great. But, then look at the second screen shot. The comment text in blue with the dark background is a) unreadable and b) hurts in the eyes.

I switched back to the "old" style, what a relief. ;-)

Edited by: MarkusD on 13-May-2017 13:56
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums