Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10 Apr 17, 19:21 Last Post By: JeffTucker
JeffTucker

Chrome media download
Posted: 10 Apr 17, 15:41
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Chrome 55 introduced new media (video, audio) controls that included, by default, a download icon. There were, as expected, howls of protest, since there was no easy way to turn it off. Site visitors were always able to download the video (right-click, "Save video as..."), but having an icon there made it very obvious.

This will be fixed in Chrome 58. Here's the writeup:

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/03/chrome-58-media-updates#controlslist

Happily, other browsers will simply ignore the new controlsList attribute, so it's an easy matter to include it in your code if you're using the native HTML5 <video> and <audio> tags.

Edit: Note that this will only remove the download icon. It will still be possible for site visitors to download the video by right-clicking and choosing "Save video as..."
Laza

Re: Chrome media download
Posted: 10 Apr 17, 18:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
How much time I spent on finding a resolution. What a dumb way of introducing a new feature.
JeffTucker

Re: Chrome media download
Posted: 10 Apr 17, 19:20   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Laza wrote:
What a dumb way of introducing a new feature.

This is the kind of thing I'm referring to when I say, Don't do me any "favors."
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums