This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 06-Mar-2017 21:55 Last Post By: hmcullum
hmcullum

Embed jAlbum comments in .tif files
Posted: 01-Mar-2017 15:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello

Over the years, I have added many comments to a large collection of .tif files. These are all currently stored in the comments.properties file. As metadata has now moved forward a little, I would like to take these comments and embed them in the original .tif file.

I can see that there is an external tool called 'copy file metadata to xmp' but this does not seem to work for my .tif files.

Is this the correct route that I should be taking or is there something else that I could try?

Thanks
jGromit

Re: Embed jAlbum comments in .tif files
Posted: 01-Mar-2017 17:05   in response to: hmcullum in response to: hmcullum

One thing I can say with a high degree of confidence is that the external tool will write out XMP metadata only to a JPG file. It's not built to handle PNG or TIFF formats, which at least theoretically can contain XMP metadata, and certainly not GIF or BMP formats, which can't.

In fact, I was just tinkering with a couple of image applications - Irfanview and paint.net - and in both cases, if you start with a JPG that has XMP metadata, and ask the application to save it as a PNG or TIFF, the application unceremoniously dumps the XMP metadata in the bit bucket (along with all EXIF and IPTC fields).

I almost never encounter TIFF files these days - is there a reason for sticking with that format? For web use, high-quality JPG's seem to be the way to go. You might save the RAW files from a camera, as the ultimate "original source," but use JPG's for everything else.
RobM

Posted: 01-Mar-2017 17:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I almost never encounter TIFF files these days - is there a reason for sticking with that format? For web use, high-quality JPG's seem to be the way to go. You might save the RAW files from a camera, as the ultimate "original source," but use JPG's for everything else.
I recently converted a load of .RAF files to tiff because the number of apps (and the OS itself) that could read them was diminishing rapidly. They are not something that I would use directly though.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Mar-2017 17:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
I recently converted a load of .RAF files to tiff because the number of apps (and the OS itself) that could read them was diminishing rapidly.

I can beat that. I used to have a bunch of files in SFW format. Not SWF, but Seattle FilmWorks - a proprietary digital format for scanned negatives.

It was an interesting company. In their earlier years, they sold film that was actually 35mm movie film. You had to have it developed and printed by them, because it was very different from normal Kodacolor or Kodachrome. The color was great, but....
hmcullum

Posted: 05-Mar-2017 14:00   in response to: hmcullum in response to: hmcullum

I have scanned thousands of old photos in .tif format as I understood that would be the best quality for future proofing the photo collection and to give a lossless format. Following guidelines from people like the National Archives.

I then create .jpgs of everything for publishing but ideally always want the comments to be embedded in the metadata of the .tif as the original source.

I wanted to avoid copying and pasting comments from the text file to the .tif metadata if at all possible.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Mar-2017 16:50   in response to: hmcullum in response to: hmcullum

I'll look into the possibility of updating comments in .tif files too.
hmcullum

Posted: 06-Mar-2017 21:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thank you!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums