This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 38 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 03-Nov-2016 15:44 Last Post By: jGromit
AndreWolff

Batch make album tool in version 13.6
Posted: 28-Oct-2016 23:24

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The release notes of version 13.6 says:

New "batch make album tool" to facilitate the remaking of several album projects in one go

I can't find in version 13.6 a menu item which leads me to a such a tool, so how can I use this new tool?

Currently I use an MS-DOS batch file to do that, I hope that is not what is meant with that new tool!
jGromit

Re: Batch make album tool in version 13.6
Posted: 28-Oct-2016 23:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Tools, External Tools, Batch make album
davidekholm

Posted: 28-Oct-2016 23:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Given that you think this is a tool one has regular need for, I can consider moving it to the Album menu in the future.
hanso

Posted: 29-Oct-2016 12:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Batch remake is a tool I really like!

A suggestion to make it really handy and practical for me is not only to manually built the list everytime to only the first 20 or so recent projects, but allow it to be fed with a list (stored in a file) containing e.g all albums I have in my archive. More than one list would be nice too (e.g. a list with all Turtle based albums after a Turtle upgrade, leave other albums alone).

I have several hundred albums I would like to remake with just a simple button press. Like Andre said a dos batch file can do that now but I like the 'Jalbum' interface!
RobM

Posted: 29-Oct-2016 14:53   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

hanso wrote:

A suggestion to make it really handy and practical for me is not only to manually built the list everytime to only the first 20 or so recent projects, but allow it to be fed with a list (stored in a file) containing e.g all albums I have in my archive. More than one list would be nice too (e.g. a list with all Turtle based albums after a Turtle upgrade, leave other albums alone).

I have several hundred albums I would like to remake with just a simple button press. Like Andre said a dos batch file can do that now but I like the 'Jalbum' interface!

The recent projects list can contain upto 99 projects, see jAlbum PreferencesThat gets you closer.
davidekholm

Posted: 29-Oct-2016 16:38   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

hanso wrote:

I could probably add the ability to drop a text file onto this list, listing the path to each album project to add to this list.
hanso

Posted: 29-Oct-2016 17:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

To be able to drop a list would be perfect!
davidekholm

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 15:23   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

I've now added the ability to drop a text file listing the projects to process. I've attached the updated "Batch make album" tool.

Edited by: davidekholm on 01-Nov-2016 10:26
(Updated code to allow both UNIX and Windows kinds of line endings)
jGromit

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Works well!

I especially like that even after you've dragged in the text file, you can still be selective about which ones to "batch make," unlike a command file, where it tends to be "all or none" (unless you do some fancy scripting in the command file).
AndreWolff

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:41   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

I am sorry to say, but in the current state, this tool is pretty useless:

• It makes only the albums, but it should also be possible that the results are automatically uploaded as is done in my current MS-DOS batch file.
  • You can only use the albums in the recent history list of jAlbum, but normally I am not interested in recent albums, it are albums made 2 years ago, which are no longer in the history list or indeed as Hans says all my albums made with the PhotoSwipe skin.
An MS-DOS batch file can handle the who;e process, with any album young or old!
AndreWolff

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I've now added the ability to drop a text file listing the projects to process. I've attached the updated "Batch make album" tool.
I did not test that yet, but I think at least you should specify the format of that text file!
jGromit

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:43   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

So don't use it. Stick to your batch file.

Or even better, instead of complaining, why not provide us with a revised version?
jGromit

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:46   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
. ..you should specify the format of that text file!

It should be in text format (duh), with a simple path to each project file on each line, like:

C:\Users\JG\Documents\sample album\jalbum-settings.jap
C:\Users\JG\Documents\another album\jalbum-settings.jap

What other format would you expect? A JPG file with pictures of the project files?
RobM

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 20:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Works well!
But only if you use Windows line breaks, Mac and Linux line breaks are ignored.

For Mac users the path starts from the Users folder e.g.
/Users/robert/My Albums/polyglot/jalbum-settings.jap
/Users/robert/My Albums/Minimal/jalbum-settings.jap
jGromit

Posted: 31-Oct-2016 21:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
But only if you use Windows line breaks, Mac and Linux line breaks are ignored.

I see what you mean! And with the standard TextEdit application, there doesn't appear to be any way of saving the file with CR/LF rather than just LF.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums