Permlink Replies: 49 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Jul-2016 15:45 Last Post By: AnCa
davidekholm

Re: Updating FFMpeg
Posted: 24-Jun-2016 16:18   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Karl, I appreciate if you do me the favor of locating well working, current builds of ffmpeg for Windows (32 and 64 bit), Mac and Linux (32 and 64 bit) and I'll make sure we use those instead.

To my experience it's best to follow the ffmpeg recommendations:

Thank you! I'll update the archives.
RobM

Posted: 24-Jun-2016 16:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Karl, I appreciate if you do me the favor of locating well working, current builds of ffmpeg for Windows (32 and 64 bit), Mac and Linux (32 and 64 bit) and I'll make sure we use those instead.

Just a reminder that the video defaults and all project settings, that include video support, will need to be updated for the new codec.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Jun-2016 16:26   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Just a reminder that the video defaults and all project settings, that include video support, will need to be updated for the new codec.

Right, that's actually a bigger challenge as it may require regeneration of videos. I really want to avoid that. Let's see what we can figure out.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 25-Jun-2016 08:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:

Great. I would not mind postponing this activity until the end of all midsummer celebrations. :-)

Managing software is no longer doing infrequent, large and cumbersome releases. I never bought this notion of industry when starting serious work in 1980, but always used what nowadays is called Continuous Delivery. Thus I very much appreciate jAlbum's commitment to using up to date versions of ffmpeg.

RobM wrote:

At a glance the only option currently causing trouble is -acodec=libvo_aacenc. It's definitely not a good idea to tell ffpmeg which codec to use. Aac being now default you can safely omit this option. jAlbum's default video options should be as simple as possible.
davidekholm

Posted: 26-Jun-2016 19:40   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
karlmistelberger wrote:

At a glance the only option currently causing trouble is -acodec=libvo_aacenc. It's definitely not a good idea to tell ffpmeg which codec to use. Aac being now default you can safely omit this option. jAlbum's default video options should be as simple as possible.

We needed that option at the time we started using ffmpeg. Now, the challenge is to avoid triggering the need to re-generate videos when removing that option (we make a hash of all video settings in order to figure out whether to reprocess a video or not. Removing that option will cause a new hash to be generated.
RobM

Posted: 26-Jun-2016 20:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I'm not sure if the proposed update is a one off or if you intend to keep jAlbum's ffmpeg upto date permanently? If it is a one off, or maybe once a major release, is it worth the effort when users can do the update if they want - and there is no risk of adverse effects on those not bothered?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 06:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

We needed that option at the time we started using ffmpeg. Now, the challenge is to avoid triggering the need to re-generate videos when removing that option (we make a hash of all video settings in order to figure out whether to reprocess a video or not. Removing that option will cause a new hash to be generated.

Version 13 made a change which caused reprocessing of all videos: "Processed videos now go inside "slides" sub folder".

I did not mind the videos rebuilding as the change was a step in the right direction. Changing the default video settings to be compatible with the latest version of ffmpeg is also a step in the right direction. Using an up to date version at all times is also such a step. "Never change a running system" is definitely out. As computers are connected to the Web you would always opt for an up to date system. Since upgrading one machine from openSUSE 13.2 to Leap 42.1 three months ago 50% of all packages have been updated.

Currently I am considering to use the system ffmpeg, but I am refraining as long this requires to use user settings instead of default settings. Of course I prefer jAlbum to do that on its own upon installation.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 07:08   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
karlmistelberger wrote:
Version 13 made a change which caused reprocessing of all videos: "Processed videos now go inside "slides" sub folder".

Not quite true. David quickly introduced an update that moved the videos to slides, rather than reprocessing them, unless there was some other reason to run them through ffmpeg again.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 07:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

Not quite true. David quickly introduced an update that moved the videos to slides, rather than reprocessing them, unless there was some other reason to run them through ffmpeg again.

Checked the creation dates of .mp4 files and found them all to be reprocessed while jpg files were reused.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 07:50   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
That's not what I experienced.

Edit: Just did a quick test. Made an album with a video using jAlbum 12.7.9. Processing the video took about ten seconds, and it landed in the root of the output directory.

Saved the project, then opened it in jAlbum 13.2.13. When I hit Make Album, it was done in a fraction of a second, so it clearly did not process the video again. And now the video is in slides.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 21:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
That's not what I experienced.

Edit: Just did a quick test. Made an album with a video using jAlbum 12.7.9. Processing the video took about ten seconds, and it landed in the root of the output directory.

Saved the project, then opened it in jAlbum 13.2.13. When I hit Make Album, it was done in a fraction of a second, so it clearly did not process the video again. And now the video is in slides.

Sure. But my experience was different: I downloaded jAlbum v13 on August 28, 2015 and built a small album. That revealed, that the videos would be rebuilt.

When updating the archive (then 70 GB of videos and images) 2.9 GB of mp4 (original size 20 GB) were to be rebuilt in one hour and uploaded during the night at 1 Mbit/s. Indeed everything was fine in the next morning.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 21:59   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
As I've already said, David quickly realized that forcing reprocessing of the videos was a bad side effect of the change, so he fixed it. What the first version may or may not have done is no longer relevant.

What is relevant is the desire on the part of users to avoid a lot of long, pointless reprocessing of videos. There's really nothing to be gained by it, as far as I can tell.
davidekholm

Posted: 27-Jun-2016 22:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I've been able to fix so one can drop the acodec argument without having to reprocess the video now. Will appear in jAlbum 13.3.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 06-Jul-2016 07:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've been able to fix so one can drop the acodec argument without having to reprocess the video now. Will appear in jAlbum 13.3.

• linked to system ffmpeg:
    karl@hofkirchen:~> ln -sf /usr/bin/ffmpeg .jalbum/bin/ffmpeg
    karl@hofkirchen:~> ll /home/karl/.jalbum/bin/ffmpeg 
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 15  6. Jul 07:21 /home/karl/.jalbum/bin/ffmpeg -> /usr/bin/ffmpeg
    karl@hofkirchen:~> 

• built album without any need to download jAlbum's video support or rebuilding existing videos using the default video settings
    java -jar /usr/share/jAlbum/JAlbum.jar

This is a small change for jAlbum, but allows users to use their always up to date system ffmpeg without any hassle.

Compared to version 13.1.2 build times for the skin files only of a moderate sized album (1860 images and videos) increased from 32 to 39 seconds (+21%).
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Jul-2016 11:57   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Thanks for the hint Karl! Please verify the speed difference by running multiple tests. The general album build speed should not have been affected (deliberately)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums