This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Apr-2016 08:00 Last Post By: jimberry
AndreWolff

Save all jAlbum files in the directory which contains the project file
Posted: 18-Aug-2015 09:01

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I used to save the project file in the same directory as the images, to keep all files well-ordered together so that it is easy to make a back-up.

However in that case you see that not only a settings.jap file is added, but also a .jalbum directory and files like comments.properties, meta.properties etc. I make also sometimes the same album with different skins, so in that case contains the image directory 2 or more project files, which may give problems, see http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=49614&tstart=0

So I decided to separate the images and jAlbum files, by saving the jAlbum project file in a sub-directory of the image directory, hoping that the additional jAlbum directories and files should also move to the directory where the project files was saved.

Unfortunately the other jAlbum files were not automatically moved to the sub-directory where to project file was saved.

So my request is please implement that in the next version.
jGromit

Re: Save all jAlbum files in the directory which contains the project file
Posted: 18-Aug-2015 09:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Each folder in the project has its own set of .jalbum files, comments.properties, and so on. So your proposal would require that the entire folder structure of the album be duplicated in this subdirectory of the image directory. That's a lot of overhead.

And how would you prevent jAlbum from assuming that this subdirectory of the image directory is not simply a folder in the album project?
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Aug-2015 10:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment _screenshot.13.png (513.1 KB)
jGromit wrote:
Each folder in the project has its own set of .jalbum files, comments.properties, and so on. So your proposal would require that the entire folder structure of the album be duplicated in this subdirectory of the image directory. That's a lot of overhead.
Not duplicated, just moved, so there is no overhead.
And how would you prevent jAlbum from assuming that this subdirectory of the image directory is not simply a folder in the album project?
See enclosed _screenshot.13

A better alternative could be that jAlbum stores always the additional jAlbum files in a sub-directory with the same name as the project file, independant where the project file is saved.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 18-Aug-2015 11:02
jGromit

Posted: 18-Aug-2015 13:38   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Not duplicated, just moved, so there is no overhead.

The folder structure would have to be duplicated. if your album project has 27 folders, your "jAlbum files" subdirectory would also have to have 27 folders. Otherwise, jAlbum has no way of knowing which comments.properties applies to which folder, for example.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Aug-2015 14:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
The folder structure would have to be duplicated. if your album project has 27 folders, your "jAlbum files" subdirectory would also have to have 27 folders. Otherwise, jAlbum has no way of knowing which comments.properties applies to which folder, for example.
If jAlbum stores always the additional jAlbum files in a sub-directory you get indeed 27 sub-directories, but this are no duplicates because the jAlbum files are no longer in the folders with the images.

You get a better structured solution, because like in modern web pages, the contents is separated from layout tools (e.g. css) so what is wrong with this?
jGromit

Posted: 18-Aug-2015 14:28   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
If jAlbum stores always the additional jAlbum files in a sub-directory you get indeed 27 sub-directories, but this are no duplicates because the jAlbum files are no longer in the folders with the images.

You get a better structured solution, because like in modern web pages, the contents is separated from layout tools (e.g. css) so what is wrong with this?

The folders themselves are duplicated. So instead of the entire folder structure appearing both in the image directory and in the output directory, we now have three folder trees. Ugh.

There are also skins (mine among them) that access the .jalbum directory directly. Move it, and the skins break.

And who said anything about web pages? This is not in the output anywhere. There's no reason for the application to organize its own files as if they were part of a web page.
crhoman

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 04:22   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I agree with your logic. I want to create several skin album interfaces using the same images. One skin for PC/Laptops and another for Mobile/Tablets. (Some skins work better than others on different devices.) I've been searching the forum and came across your thread. It makes sense to me to keep the images separate from the skin/album settings. Have you found a solution to this? Otherwise it looks like I have to duplicate the image folders into separate directories for each album skin project I want to create. Seems simple to me, or am I missing something?
jGromit

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 06:44   in response to: crhoman in response to: crhoman

Not really necessary. Put a copy of all the images you want to use in one folder - let's call it projectImages. Now go to Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files and choose Link. Then create each of your projects, and add the images from projectImages.

jAlbum won't copy all of those images to each separate project. Each project folder will simply keep track of the images by keeping a list of pointers to the originals that are sitting in projectImages. This does mean, of course, that you can't later delete or move projectImages. The projects would then not know how to build the album if you wanted to make any changes.

You will still have multiple copies of the images in the output directories of the projects - there's no way to avoid that. And since different skins might want to use different image bounds, or might process the images with borders on them, for example, you would need separate output versions anyway.

When you're finished, change the When adding files choice back to Copy - for regular "one off" projects, that's a much safer way of working.
jimberry

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 07:03   in response to: crhoman in response to: crhoman

crhoman wrote:
... I want to create several skin album interfaces using the same images. One skin for PC/Laptops and another for Mobile/Tablets.
I think there are a couple of ways around this problem.

1. You can use the "File>Save Project Settings as ..." option to rename and save the "jalbum-settings.jap" file with settings for PC as "PC-settings.jap" and again with mobile settings as "mobile-settings.jap".
The Recent Projects listing will now show both of these with the same label (the project folder name) but the mouse-over tooltip will identify which is which.

2. Another approach would be to have two folders specifically for project settings files - "PC-projects" and "Mobile-projects". These would be entirely separate from the project folders and would contain all the project settings files for every project, named appropriately. - e.g. for the "MyDog" album you would have "MyDog.jap" and for the "MyFamily" album you would hav "MyFamily.jap". Once again, since there are now multiple project files in the same directory, the Recent Projects list will show them all with the same label, but they will each be recognisable from the tooltip.
Each of these solutions would allow both the PC settings .jap file and the mobile settings .jap file to use the same image directory while outputting to individual output directories.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 07:30   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I like jimberry's first option. It has one added advantage - it means that you would enter things like comments and titles only once. With my scheme, you would have to enter them twice, or copy the files to each project (both comments.properties and all of the .info files in the .jalbum subdirectory).

The key to making it work is to ensure that you define an output directory for each project that is outside of the project directory. Otherwise, you'll end up with a mess.

( jimberry - it's also theoretically possible to run into problems doing this if you have two skins that are writing image- and folder-specific settings to the same set of .info files. Not likely, but something to watch out for.)
jimberry

Posted: 30-Apr-2016 08:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The key to making it work is to ensure that you define an output directory for each project that is outside of the project directory. Otherwise, you'll end up with a mess.
Yes, sometimes I tend to overlook the possibility that others may not be as finicky as I am about ALWAYS putting the output directory outside of the project directory. :-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums