This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 21 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 20-Apr-2016 23:29 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

A responsive skin for a mobile device should have a touch interface support
Posted: 11-Apr-2016 14:58

Click to reply to this thread Reply
A website on a mobile device which gives no response after a swipe is by definition not responsive, so the skin used to make that website is also not suited for mobile devices.

I think Album is too much focused on old fashioned PCs: look at the 7 bundled skins: only 2 of the 7 are suited for smart phones and tablets, the other five are only suited for use on PCs.

The jAlbum sample page does not show any responsive and mobile friendly skin.

Jalbum bundles and promotes only 2 of the 7 available responsive and mobile friendly skins (check on this page 'Responsive layout' and 'Touch interface support').

Edited on request of David by: AndreWolff on 11-Apr-2016 15:02
davidekholm

Re: A responsive skin for a mobile device should have a touch interface support
Posted: 11-Apr-2016 15:10   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Thanks for your feedback. We will update /samples to include examples of responsive skin design embedded into existing sites.

I agree that we need to improve in responsive design. This applies both to our site and skins. We're currently devoting almost all of our resources to this. A new responsive web site is underway (huge task) and new responsive skins are being developed. We're also looking into how existing responsive skins can be maintained better (either in-house or via outsourcing). We're also working on making our default skin Turtle responsive. Please be patient. We're a very small team (yes, we fit in a car), but we're doing our best to improve in this regard.
drmikey

Posted: 11-Apr-2016 20:19   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

You are incorrect. Responsiveness relates to CSS, HTML, responsive images
and @media queries. Swiping is not the definition of Responsive. Swiping vs clicking does not make a site responsive. Many one page sites don't swipe and many swiping websites are not responsive. We could add a swiping plugin to every skin on Jalbum and by your definition they would be responsive.
AndreWolff

Posted: 11-Apr-2016 21:43   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

drmikey wrote:
You are incorrect. Responsiveness relates to CSS, HTML, responsive images
I am not interested in a theoretical discussion what the definition of Responsiveness is!

I look only to the requirements of a user viewing an album on a smart phone or tablet: such a user expects a touch swipe user interface!
drmikey

Posted: 11-Apr-2016 21:46   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I see, you make your own bogus definitions and expect other people to accept them. It seems that's why you get the responses you do. Can't admit your wrong, hmmm? Make your own internet and we will come!

Edited by: drmikey on 11-Apr-2016 12:47
AndreWolff

Posted: 11-Apr-2016 22:19   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

drmikey wrote:
We could add a swiping plugin to every skin on Jalbum and by your definition they would be responsive.
You should better read my post: I said a user of a tablet or smart phone requires a responsive skin with a touch screen interface!
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Apr-2016 00:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I guess we can all agree that the basic requirement for a responsive web page is for images and layout to adapt to the screen size of the device so you basically only have to scroll vertically.

On top of this, some responsive pages also allow you to swipe to navigate between images. I think it's a good thing, but not a necessity. André here puts the bar higher: A page has to BOTH adapt images and layout AND allow swipe navigation to qualify as responsive. Let's leave this discussion with the fact that we have different views on this second requirement.
drmikey

Posted: 12-Apr-2016 21:53   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I agree that allowing swipe is helpful but by no means the definition of responsive. As far as Andre, his bar is no higher then many other skins on Jalbum. Including the Photoswipe plugin in a skin (and he was not the first to do so) does not make it the skin to model every other after.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Apr-2016 08:56   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

Attachment Pinto_About.PNG (33.4 KB)
drmikey wrote:
Including the Photoswipe plugin in a skin (and he was not the first to do so) ...
Yes Dr. I agree: you used the PhotoSwipe plug-in in the Pinto skin, before I started developing the PhotoSwipe skin.

Bob Marlow noticed me of the existence of the PhotoSwipeJavaScript gallery and I started the development of the PhotoSwipe skin more or less on his request.

After the first release of the PhotoSwipe skin I had a look at the Pinto skin and noticed that you also used PhotoSwipeJavaScript gallery, but at that time you used nowhere in the description the word PhotoSwipe, you did give the impression that it was all invented by you.

Later you added to the description: 'Photoswipe Lightbox navigation'. However even today you do not mention the use of the PhotoSwipeJavaScript gallery in the about page (see enclosed screen shot) neither do you give any credit to the author of that plug-in, Dmitry Semenov. Nevertheless you ask 6 USD for the use of a skin based on free available PhotoSwipeJavaScript gallery!

Back to the topic of this thread: I had never the intention to redefined Responsiveness. This thread was started after I could not reply to my remark about the new Sprint skin.

All I wanted to say that for a new skin, which will probably mostly used on tablets and smart phones, a responsive design only is not sufficient, a touch interface is in my opinion a must for new skins!
drmikey

Posted: 13-Apr-2016 09:42   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Hmmm, I didn't steal the name from the developer like you did to make it look like you wrote the code for Photoswipe, and if you know anything about Photoswipe, you would know about the authors statement about the use of the plugin:

Attribution is not required, but much appreciated, especially if you’re making a product for developers.

Once again, you are wrong.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Apr-2016 09:56   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

drmikey wrote:
Hmmm, I didn't steal the name from the developer like you did to make it look like you wrote the code for Photoswipe,
Please do read the description of the PhotoSwipe skin:
The PhotoSwipe skin has the same index page as the Slide Show 4 skin, but the Slide page is replaced by the PhotoSwipe JavaScript gallery developed by Dmitry Semenov, see http://photoswipe.com/

See also enclosed screen shot of the PhotoSwipe skin about page or the PhotoSwipe sample album: I do not steal but honor the author of the PhotoSwipeJavaScript gallery
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Apr-2016 19:51   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
I think Album is too much focused on old fashioned PCs: look at the 7 bundled skins: only 2 of the 7 are suited for smart phones and tablets, the other five are only suited for use on PCs.
"Old fashioned PCs", hmm. In my opinion it only makes sense to (me) watch pictures on an "old" fashioned PC with a large display of course. But watching pictures (or videos) on a tablet - or even worse than that - on a smartphone is something I did not understand and will not understand, how that makes any sense. Sure, smartphone- and tablet-displays are brilliant in these days, with huge resolutions, but they are so small, tiny, little. What will you really see on that small area (I just found that for example the iPhone 6 has a 4,7" screen with a 4K resolution)? In my opinion nothing worth to waste a second. André, have you ever watched your pictures on a big screen? I recommend to do that, and I'm pretty sure you'll never watch a picture on a smartphone or a tablet.

I just came back from a short trip to the alps with some photos. As always on these kind of trips I download the pictures in the evening from my camera to my notebook, which has a 14" screen with a FullHD resolution, which is not that bad, but far away from good. It's just to throw away pictures which are no good. When I'm home I watch the photos on my desktop-computer with a 30" screen (2560x1600 resolution) which is really a difference. It is always amazing what details you can spot in this environment. The real kick is then using my new 40" screen with 4K resolution, that's what I call fun watching pictures or videos. ;-)

Just my 2 cents, Markus
jGromit

Posted: 18-Apr-2016 20:44   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

I'm with you, MarkusD. I finally broke down and got a smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S7. Large display (5.1"), lots of resolution (1440x2560). It's OK for looking at some quick snapshots of the kids, but for anything that you would call "photography," I don't know why anyone would bother.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Apr-2016 21:27   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
When I'm home I watch the photos on my desktop-computer with a 30" screen (2560x1600 resolution) which is really a difference.
Markus I agree with you that looking at your photos on a big monitor (I use a 26” monitor with resolution 2560x1440) is indeed ideal to enjoy your pictures.

But the reality is that only few people do have these large monitors and that will become less and less, because the number of sold PCs is becoming smaller and smaller each month, in particular for private people. The PCs for families are replaced by tablets.
I have also an iPad and enjoy sitting in an easy chair looking at pictures on such a tablet with a nice high resolution retina display, swiping through the photos.

A good responsive skin with swipe support, like the PhotoSwipe skin and the Slide Show 4 skin can display a photo full screen on both devices and even on a small device like it iPhone 5.

The only problem is that the very high resolution required for your big monitor connected to your fast PC is not required for the smaller mobile devices. The data use for owners of these mobile devices is not required and costs only extra money. That is the reason that I did ask for a 2nd set of slides for use on mobile devices and to make the size of the video poster image equal to the natural video frame size, but unfortunately I do not get a positive response!
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Apr-2016 21:59   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
When I'm home I watch the photos on my desktop-computer with a 30" screen (2560x1600 resolution) which is really a difference.
But the reality is that only few people do have these large monitors and that will become less and less, because the number of sold PCs is becoming smaller and smaller each month, in particular for private people. The PCs for families are replaced by tablets.
That is exactly my experience too. And it's kind of sad to see that trend.

The only problem is that the very high resolution required for your big monitor connected to your fast PC is not required for the smaller mobile devices. The high data use for these high resolution images for owners of these mobile devices is not required and costs only extra money.
I don't understand that. I only have one jAlbum. The size of the pictures is the same. It "costs" the same bandwidth, if you are looking to the pictures on a small smartphone or a huge 40". And, if I'm looking at my own pictures, or showing them to friends or family (at home), I don't need any bandwidth at all. Because I'll show them the original pictures. The pictures on my website are just a teaser to make friends or family aware that in the near or far future there will be a live photo session. ;-)

Just to make clear what you miss on a small device/screen. Look at this with your smartphone. Did you see the details in the first picture? ;-)
https://www.ssl-id.de/markus-drueck.de/JA/TestCase/Big Screen vs. Small Screen/index.html

Cheers, Markus

Edited by: jGromit, to fix link
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums